Is Live Music Making A Comeback?

• Members

They appear to be ready to try in Wisconsin next month. Will this be a successful start for returning to live gigs, a disaster where everyone will die, or something in between? After all, massive amounts of people protesting, rioting, looting, vandalizing/destroying personal/public property, injuring/killing others and taking over city blocks appears to be no real problem or concern for government officials.

"A promoter in Wisconsin announced the Herd Immunity Fest, a three-day outdoor event featuring 15 bands to take place in July with a live crowd. It's he first large-scale event of its kind since the coronavirus lockdown began."

Herd Immunity Fest

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a buddy that had a motown/funk band here in SW Florida. As soon as the bars reopened in May, they went back to playing. Most of their gigs was in open air/tiki bars. They would post live feeds o

Folks have taken different approaches and I have absolutely no problem with anyone determining what's in their own best interest just as I am uncompromising in determining mine, it should be understoo

all I can say is 'COME ON VACCINE!!!'

Posted Images

• Members

Well, anybody who goes and either dies or incurs permanent organ damage gets what he/she asked for.

Perhaps it should be named "COVID Roulette Fest". :D

Either way, I'm not buying a ticket.

Notes

• Members

I'll go with "something in between." I don't expect a rousing success nor do I expect a total calamity. Friday night I picked up a takeout order from a chain Mexican restaurant and the place was open with people sitting around tables, no masks except the staff. That has to be at least as bad as an outdoor music performance. the website for Herd Immunity Fest says

Let’s make it a fun, safe weekend,

I hope they can pull it off but I wouldn't be attending even if I could.

• Members

I was asked to come back to the Elks and American legions. BUT...they want me to take a cut. Sorry, but I'm not going back for 1/2 of the pay. I'm not ready to come back into tight quarters with people right beside me. I told them to get someone else, and I'll be back "maybe" in October if things calm down. Right now, we are having higher case counts then we ever did in Florida. The only difference is, it's now the 18-35 yr olds. They are the ones that think they are bullet proof and don't "have" to wear a mask. They will certainly spread it to the eldery. I play for an older crowd, and they dont feel comfortable going out to inside venues.

There was a bunch of solo/duo acts that started back in early June. They are now sitting at home again. The mayors are cracking down in their cities on bar crowds, social distancing, masks. Fines are being passed out to people who dont follow guide lines. Places have been shut down in Tampa that didn't follow the guide lines.

I dont really have a lot of places to play from May till September. No biggy for me sitting around till October. But, once October gets here, I'll be back to my private parties/concerts/gated communities and 20 gigs a month. These are ticket sale venues. Not open to the public. Hopefully, by then, they'll have something to ease the severity of the virus and ease the mind of the audience that come to my gigs.

• Members

It's in an experimental stage for the time being. Had dinner had a local bar/restaurant yesterday early enough that there were only a few customers. By the time we were done eating the place was filling up with regulars that don't wear masks, have no concept of the 6 foot rule and even shake hands. People seem to believe strongly about one side or the other of the "stay safe" issue. Back to staying home for me at least for a while.

• Members

I don't know about eating at a restaurant with a mask on. :D

I saw a study that in air conditioned places, if you are between someone with COVID and the air return vent, you will get bombarded with virus even if the sick one is 20 feet away. And since restaurant patrons sit at their table for extended periods of time, the bombardment accumulates.

When I get ready to 'eat out' it'll be al fresco.

Notes

• Members

It's easy to understand why people fear catching a virus, any cold/flu/virus for that matter. Musicians especially hate it because it makes it difficult to sing and perform, can't count the number of times I've had to deal with that but's it's nearly always been in the winter when the air is especially dry and temps are frigid. It was way worse for me back when I was still a smoker. I haven't gone out of my way to avoid the 'rona and, in fact, some of the stuff I've been doing would probably be considered pretty shocking to folks who've embraced the new "prescribed" social norms but I wouldn't be going to that show anyway. It's a bit far away, I'm not really into a multi-day festival type thing but mostly I'll be off on our yearly motorcycle vacation where I hope I'll be able to enjoy life without to much weirdness going on.

• Members

I've been receiving email updates regularly from the local private clubs I play at. Here is an email i received from the American Legion I was scheduled to play.

Hi Jay,

Sorry about all the emails.  The Executive Board just met this morning and decided to go ahead and cancel entertainment on July 18, 2020.  We have been open for about 3 weeks now and revenue does not justify the expenses for offering entertainment.

As of this morning on the news, with the increase of COVID cases reported, the board is inclined to believe the members will not visit the post under any circumstances.  We have canceled all other entertainment for the months of June and July.  We will be watching any developments in regards to August and will notify accordingly.

• Moderators

WHO is saying they expect to see a worldwide spike in Covfefe-19 cases this summer...it's gonna be yuuuuge...

There is no way I would go to any place where social distancing and masks weren't required. 'Herd Immunity' doesn't happen overnight, it takes a long time.

I just met with an old friend the other night at a local eatery; he only lives two blocks from me [now that I've moved], but because of Covfefe-19, this is the first time we've seen each other since late February!  We had to sit outside on their makeshift patio, tables were spread about ten feet apart, the servers all wore masks and a mask was required to enter...the 'new normal'...I actually had sent an inquiry to this place in February [:facepalm:] about getting a solo gig there...not holding my breath.

• Members

The "last minute" gig we booked on Sunday for tonight may be off but only because of the weather, high chance of rain. That's the trouble with everything being outdoors now. We had perfect weather for our first "post covid" gig June 5th. So for the foreseeable future I'm certain that the weather will be the main factor for us. I think we've got something booked now for as late as September when the weather should still be nice but by October things get a lot more iffy and I'm not up for any cold weather outdoors. It will be interesting to see where things go at that time; will we begin playing indoors or will live music get postponed again? Hard to say at this point.

• Members

DM. I agree, no mask - no distancing - I'm outta there. Herd immunity might not even happen. There is no herd immunity for the common cold, which is also a corona virus.

ggm I feel your pain. We do a lot of outdoor gigs here in Florida during the winter. Rain-outs are a bummer.

With my regular customers I just take the rain in stride, with folks that only hire us occasionally I try to have it rescheduled or let them apply their deposit to a future gig. 

Notes

• Members
3 hours ago, daddymack said:

all I can say is 'COME ON VACCINE!!!'

I was really hoping for one by Fall. But, when/if it does finally get ok'd for use, the medical workers will be first, then the essential workers. Maybe the elderly will be next. Then the average person will get the chance for the vaccine. That will be some time next summer.............if they create a usable vaccine by January.

I'd be happy with a useful prescription analgesic. I dont want to go to ICU before they give me something that works. Most people wont have any severe issues with the virus. I had a tough time with the flu a couple years back. This virus will kick my ass

• Members

Here in Florida, two weeks (incubation period) after GOP Governor DeSantis prematurely re-opened the state we had an all-time record of 1,000 new cases per day, then 2,000, then 4,000, two days ago 5,000 and yesterday 9,000. It looks like live music isn't going to come back here anytime in the future.

We lost the last of our winter season, all summer, and by now next year's season (October through May) is usually 90% booked already. We have zero, nada, zip, zilch booked. So it looks like we will be out of work a year and a half or more.

Who wants to spend the winter in Florida and play COVID Roulette in THE hot spot of the nation thanks to our Trumpuppet who cares more about the hedge fund managers and bankers than the people who elected him to office?

Without a vaccine, it looks like my only job will be writing aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box. And I'm selling them to musicians who are also out of work.

It's going to be a loooooooooong bumpy ride.

Notes

• Moderators
15 hours ago, leftyjay said:

I was really hoping for one by Fall. But, when/if it does finally get ok'd for use, the medical workers will be first, then the essential workers. Maybe the elderly will be next. Then the average person will get the chance for the vaccine. That will be some time next summer.............if they create a usable vaccine by January.

I'd be happy with a useful prescription analgesic. I dont want to go to ICU before they give me something that works. Most people wont have any severe issues with the virus. I had a tough time with the flu a couple years back. This virus will kick my ass

well, lefty...I'm 'elderly'...but I have no problem waiting my turn...Notes will get his before I do...I'll get mine before you do...but eventually, outside of the 'anti-vax' fringe radicals, we'll all be spared the herd immunity nonsense...and the world will go back to waiting for the next fiasco...but at least we will have better leadership...I hope.:facepalm:

• Members

i guess I'll fall back to painting guitars for people in my down time. I can spray a mean metal flake. Plus, I've collected quite a collection of lefty guitars over the years. I can always sell one here and there to for pay home insurance, property taxes, etc. Unemployment never panned out for me, though i'm still trying to get it. i've uploaded everything they wanted, but still they say my income status for 2019-early 2020 is incomplete. i've sent them last years tax form, 1099s, contracts, contacts.

Time for plan B. guitar building/refinishing. selling some of my herd

• Members

You old men as so funny...😂😂😂 There has NEVER been a successful coronavirus vaccine on humans and there likely never will. Also, 99.97% of the population haven’t died of Corona yet you have no problem altering your existences forever and you’re fine with 50 million unemployed and the probability of this destroying our country completely. Ok...fine. Stay in your caves and rot. Your attitudes are anti-civilizational, irrational and have zero basis in observable reality, science fact or history. 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, sventvkg said:

You old men as so funny...😂😂😂 There has NEVER been a successful coronavirus vaccine on humans and there likely never will. Also, 99.97% of the population haven’t died of Corona yet you have no problem altering your existences forever and you’re fine with 50 million unemployed and the probability of this destroying our country completely. Ok...fine. Stay in your caves and rot. Your attitudes are anti-civilizational, irrational and have zero basis in observable reality, science fact or history. 

you are in Florida...notice a recent spike in cases there? Especially between the ages of 18 and 49?

People are dying in the tens of thousands and you find this humorous? I'm sure at the outset of the bubonic plague people were saying essentially the same thing...and small pox, too...the top scientists in virology don't agree with you...so much for your 'science fact and history'...

Laugh all you want. When someone you care about contracts this and dies, don't come looking for a sympathetic ear here.

I'm not in a cave, but  I'm in a high risk group, so if you think me 'irrational' for not wanting to risk getting an illness that might kill me, then you do not know the meaning of 'irrational'...:rolleyes2:

• Members
6 hours ago, sventvkg said:

Here in Florida alone we gained 9,000 new cases two days ago, another 10,000 yesterday and they are mostly young people.

The vast majority who survive end up with permanent damage to their brain, lungs, kidneys, liver, heart, and other organs (including reproductive which should concern a youngster). Recently a 40-some athletic guy ended up with severe kidney damage. He now has to be on dialysis 3 times a week for the rest of his shortened life. A skin diver who could easily free-dive over 65 feet got enough lung damage so he can no longer even hold his breath long enough to dive 30 feet. And he had mild symptoms.

If you want to play COVID Roulette, it's your business, but IMHO it's highly uncivilized to throw insults at those who want to protect themselves.

And I do agree, there may never be a vaccine. But they are still trying and they might succeed. There is always a first. And as science learns more about how to treat the disease, in time there will be better ways to avoid death and organ damage. Even if there is no vaccine, IMO that's worth waiting for.

In a civilized society, people help each other and watch out for each other, they do not throw barbs at people who disagree with them.

In a civilized society everyone would be wearing masks of their mouths AND noses in public. Why? They might be an asymptomatic carrier. If so, they might inadvertently kill the next person they pass in the grocery store. So by not wearing that mask, they are in effect saying, "My comfort is more important than your life." Tell me that's civilized and I'll call you a barbarian.

In a civilized society people would be keeping their social distance to protect each other in case they are a carrier.

In a civilized society the administration would have acted immediately instead of waiting 6 weeks while telling everyone there is no problem while the governors secretly sold their stocks.

In a civilized society, the real leaders of this country, the oligarchy (hedge fund managers, bankers, CEO's - the upper 5%) would not be telling us "Do what I say, not what I do" as they use propaganda media telling us "Go out and save the DOW, give your life for your country" while they hide in their estates and mega-yachts. There was a time when the leaders were right there on the front lines with their troops.

And I blame our present administration and their propaganda outlets disguised as news.

Why?

1) Waiting 6 weeks before saying there is a problem while they silently sold their stocks to protect themselves from the inevitable recession?

2) Telling is it's only a flu?

3) Firing the pandemic team to give more money to the Upper 5% before the first case?

4) Crippling our CDC arm in China before the first case?

5) Telling the people (and you-know-who's loyal base) to be rabid anti-maskers and making an example of showing up in public without one?

6) Opening the country too soon to try to bolster the economy for the CEO's, Hedge Fund Managers and Bankers at the expense of mass human deaths?

7) Not backing off when it was obvious that the pandemic was spiking again?

8) Blaming everybody but themselves instead of doing something about it?

9) Letting almost every bill the Democratic house passed sit on Moscow Mitch's desk without even putting it up for discussion?

And that's just a start. I could go on and on.

No the government didn't start it. But our government is responsible for mass murder by intentionally mishandling it. And our current name-calling, blame everybody but me, leader is highly responsible for our uncivilized society.

The USA and Taiwan got their first case one day apart. Taiwan handled it while Trump and the boys said that it'll disappear by May (last May). The result is Taiwan now has 0.3 deaths per million and the USA has 364.3 deaths per million, an increase of 1,214%.

We are not the most populated country in the world, but we have the most cases in the world. It's the fault of the government and the uncivilized who are not watching out for their neighbors but instead cry "Me first and to hell with the rest of the world".

So go out and play COVID Roulette if you want. You have as much right to be part of the problem as I do to try to avoid it. But please, don't endanger my life by breathing near me.

Notes

• Members

Notes those figures are BS bro...Of course people are turning out to test positive for it because they are finally getting tested! However the deaths are going down so it doesn’t jive. Also you’ve got 50 to 90% false positives in these crappy tests and they can only test for a coronavirus not the specific one. Don’t believe everything you hear there aren’t bodies stacked at Hospitals and in the streets. Seriously guys. How long have you all been on the planet? Did the world ever completely shut down when they were years like every year when millions of people die around the world from tuberculosis? This whole thing stinks to high heaven. I guess When we’re all bankrupt and on the street we can come visit you though when we need food.  Karens and Kens...scared old people will be easy to find. 😂😂😂🤡🤡🤡🤡

• Members

Sventvkg the lame excuse about more testing was disproved so then our trumpuppet decided to blame it on the "Watermelon Picking Mexicans" (typical GOP lame blame it on the defenseless instead of "the buck stops here"). The testing was minimal, the cases hundreds of times more than the increased tests.

Yes, a depression will be bad, but the depression caused by killing millions will be worse, and people will be dead.

Despite what the GOP bumblers say, this is worse than anything since the Black Death. My brother-in-law is a world famous to other doctors doctor. He is known all over the world. He said, "You don't want to get this disease. It's extremely contagious, and highly destructive. Worse than SARS and anything else in the past couple of centuries. It makes the Spanish Flu look like an amateur.

Let me guess, you get your news from FOX and further to the right than that. Yes?

Notes

Fake news.jpg

• Members
Posted (edited)
On 6/26/2020 at 2:38 PM, Notes_Norton said:

ggm I feel your pain. We do a lot of outdoor gigs here in Florida during the winter. Rain-outs are a bummer.

With my regular customers I just take the rain in stride, with folks that only hire us occasionally I try to have it rescheduled or let them apply their deposit to a future gig. 

Notes

My wife and I pretty much expected that we'd cancel due to weather but then we were told that if it was going to rain we would be inside which was a little surprising figuring there were still supposed to be some capacity limitations and such. We kept an eye on the weather and the chances were diminishing. When we got down there we were still a bit undecided and so I said let's just setup inside but after going back outside I changed my mind again and we decided to take our chances outside. It worked out great, it was hot and humid but we had a great turnout, folks really seemed to enjoy it and we stayed dry!

The last minute gig worked out great because we picked up some extra "travel" money for our vacation we're headed out on soon! Hopefully things won't be too weird on our M/C trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway and other destinations we've planned.

Edited by ggm1960
  • Moderators
16 hours ago, ggm1960 said:

The last minute gig worked out great because we picked up some extra "travel" money for our vacation we're headed out on soon! Hopefully things won't be too weird on our M/C trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway and other destinations we've planned.

• Like 1
  • Members
2 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Good luck on your vacation. That is a beautiful part of the country.

Notes

Thanks Notes! I'm sure it will be a fun adventure for us, our annual M/C trip is something we both really look forward too and this is going to be a great opportunity to put some of the weirdness that has been 2020 on the back burner for a while hopefully.