Hooking up a dbx 266XL to a Mackie and 4 mics...?

• Members

You only have two channels of compression available. Therefore you will have to make a choice as to how to apply it. The board you have has no groups or main inserts, so about the best you can do is one of the following:

1. Insert on channels 3 and 4 to help protect against screaming drunks. To do this you will need an insert cable.

2. Connect main outs of board to compressor then to amps. This will also help regulate the levels of screaming drunks, but be aware that the loudest signal wins. I.e. if someone starts yelling the volume of all the mics will be reduced by the same amount.

Optional part 3 - rent or buy another compressor to give you two more channels of compression and use one channel on each mic. Be aware that overuse of compression can lead to feedback and make everything sound dull.

Good luck!

• Members

IMHO compressor for standard karaoke is a little overkill. Bad singers are bad singers and you're not fighting a loud band here for a few more dB. My vote is no compressor, you will have to fader jockey though for the louder singers.

I do the live band karaoke thing quite a bit, if you don't have a monitor console the what works best is to compress only a subgroup (not possible with your board). It will leave the monitors uncompressed but will comp the vocals as a whole. Yes the loudest wins but accuracy isn't the point on these gigs, getting thru the song and victims hearing themselves is.

• Members

You only have two channels of compression available. Therefore you will have to make a choice as to how to apply it. The board you have has no groups or main inserts, so about the best you can do is one of the following:

1. Insert on channels 3 and 4 to help protect against screaming drunks. To do this you will need an insert cable.

2. Connect main outs of board to compressor then to amps. This will also help regulate the levels of screaming drunks, but be aware that the loudest signal wins. I.e. if someone starts yelling the volume of all the mics will be reduced by the same amount.

Optional part 3 - rent or buy another compressor to give you two more channels of compression and use one channel on each mic. Be aware that overuse of compression can lead to feedback and make everything sound dull.

Good luck!

Thx guys, I got it worked out. One drunk mic and one nice mic on the compressor. I'll fuss around with it, here and there and see what shakes out.

Thx again,

Mark

Archived