How many of Ye Olde HCEG Gang are still here?

GilmourD

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

After seeing more than a few familiar names, I re-signed up. Used to be active around 12 years ago, but drifted over to Mark Wein’s when this place imploded. Anyone know what happened to Mo (Siddiqi)? He was a great guy, could play a bit too.

Nice to see Ratae and Mark acting as mods – I remember Ratae being heavily involved in collecting guitar parts to gift a free guitar to someone who desperately wanted to learn, but couldn’t afford it - or some such story. That was a great time and showed people’s collective generosity.

I miss the bickering too... 😂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been around HC since it was a threaded listserv, without categories.  I'm meatspace friends with "This place makes me feel..." Cathy.

After a while, the constant "what size strings?", "relics are stoopid", "les paul vs. strat" threads are the same every damn year, and I wander away.  And once in a blue moon, I see if there's anything interesting / different.

There usually isn't.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Jings! It Lives!

Great to see so many of the old usernames here. 

I was an avid poster here under "foonkysteve" around 2006 - 2011. Some may remember my relentlessly annoying petition to get the Starcaster reissued? 😛

Rejoined in 2013 to show off my new Starcaster, posted once, until today.

Hope ya'll are doing well.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey y’all!

I started 2006-2007ish and have lurked around Wein’s since HCEG went to {censored}. Really cool seeing so many of the old gang posting. I remember trying to retrieve my old username a year or so back and deciding close enough. Created a new profile, posted, and haven’t checked in since. So, guitars…

19958A13-D414-4AD6-BEEF-B452E57E0449.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Just here for my almost annual check-in, apparently I'm a noob now.

Maybe I am. Have pretty much reached the point where off-loading gear now looks more attractive than buying more kit, getting down to just a couple of amps and guitars because I barely play now. Kinda sad about that, but nothing ever stays the same.

• Members
6 hours ago, Ancient Mariner said:

Just here for my almost annual check-in, apparently I'm a noob now.

Maybe I am. Have pretty much reached the point where off-loading gear now looks more attractive than buying more kit, getting down to just a couple of amps and guitars because I barely play now. Kinda sad about that, but nothing ever stays the same.

If you make a lot of random posts you can quickly raise your status., at least that’s what I did 

• Members
21 hours ago, gardo said:

If you make a lot of random posts you can quickly raise your status, at least that’s what I did 

I'm sure, but it's not worth it: who else will talk to me and about what? HC is dead and the bones are being picked over by would-be spammeras and bots - look at how many posts >10 years old keep being dredged up and answered like the questions were asked 5min ago. The thing that made HC what it was, primarily being packed with musicians on the wild frontier of the internet with minimal moderation and sometimes being thoroughly inappropiate for children, is simply never going to be allowed again. Not that everyone would come back anyway, because it's no longer the unique resource it once was.

I'm dividing my time outside work between taking photos and learning French at the moment, plus learning about France since we're buying a house there shortly. Covid has pretty much killed all the gigging since March 2020, and I've played just 7 gigs this year, plus once in church. It's probably worse than that for many other guys.

Having said all that, it's good to see you guys here still.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1