Sign in to follow this  
mbengs1

Are there disadvantages to using transpose function to get bass sounds

As opposed to using a cheap bass (without pickup change). I don't have a bass now and i transpose the guitar parts an octave down to get the bass parts. Does using 'transpose' sound less good than using  a real bass? 

if 'less good' is the same as 'worse', then I'll second that 'yes'!

It would certainly give a different sound. Whether or not it's worse is up to you.

Lots of different bass instruments are used. Is a baritone sax worse than a bass guitar? I don't think so, but they are very different. How about a bassoon? A tuba? 32 foot organ pipes?

My point is that taking guitar notes down an octave will give you the notes, but it will be a different sound than a bass guitar would give you. If you like the sound, great. But if you want it to sound like a Precision bass, then you will probably be disappointed.

While we're at it, do you think if I tune my acoustic guitar down 12 half steps will it sound the same as an acoustic bass? Should I move from 8's to 9's to fatten the tonez?

8 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

While we're at it, do you think if I tune my acoustic guitar down 12 half steps will it sound the same as an acoustic bass? Should I move from 8's to 9's to fatten the tonez?

I don't think 9's are gonna get it.

if you shave the neck and hollow out the body you might be able to stick with the 8’s...   but prolly knot...