Custom US guitar builder suggestions

TubeToneFreak

• Members

After a 7 year hiatus from playing, I'm looking for recommendations on US made (due to CITES & supporting American economy) custom guitar builders. Not essentially factory semi custom builds (choosing options on their models) and not a company that is US based but outsources majority/all work to factory in China/overseas, which have been main varieties I've come across.

Looking for preferably in the $1500-2500 range with highest end being roughly 3000.

I'm not looking for a collection or heirloom, aka "display case queen" aesthetic guitar, but a durable, very well made absolute tone monster regular bedroom & studio player. Aesthetically solid with some custom look aspects like modest custom/semi custom fretboard inlay, overall color, binding and fairly standard things of that nature.

Builder who has good knowledge & understanding of tonal effects & relationships between body shape, specific wood species of body, neck, fretboard & possibly cap, materials bridge, saddles, strings anchor to body & type, tuners, etc has. Tonal, sustain, dynamics, stability & durability different construction techniques/designs have, etc.

That can help me piece together the right combination of the above along with pickup types, configuration & such, neck shape & radius, nut width & string spacing, best scale length for fret number for best intonation, string tension & playability for desired tuning, etc.

Has good selection of tonewood that is of elite tonal quality and is willing to source very specific wood if that's what's decided on.

Does nitrocellulose lacquer finish 

I am aware that a number of builders won't make exact body shape copies (some won't make guitar with body shape modestly resembling them either) of a certain major Nashville company due to threats of lawsuit over ownership of those body shapes & their likeness.

There's plenty of LP style guitars that don't differ very much from original body shape & dimensions, there's some ES double cutaway semi hollowbodies as well, but frankly not all that many lefty SG types (with how much smaller the overall body is I think variances in shape have larger effect on tone) that have desired quality, features & specs I'm after. This may be the biggest problem as I'm a lefty and am leaning heavily towards an SG body guitar. I know there's a couple UK builders & Tokai, but those don't quite meet what I'm looking for.

Hawkings custom guitars seems to fit the bill except they won't build Gibson body shapes. I haven't contacted them yet to see if and how close/different to a classic SG shape they'd build as I want to see what options are out there 1st so I'm not wasting anyone's time.

So who are your recommendations and who should I avoid for US custom shop builds for SG type guitar?

Side note, suggestions on left handed, factory or semi custom build, nitrocellulose finish Silverburst Les Paul (mahogany body, maple cap, 3 piece maple neck, rosewood fingerboard) preferably 1 piece body with some neck shape & spec options guitars and same options for left handed Fender (Strat, Tele, Jazzmaster & classic Fender wood combos) guitars, some neck shape & spec options, ideally 1 piece body with custom options for bridge/trem types, both preferably ballpark of $1,250 or less?

Please put appropriate model(s) after builder name to keep things clear, SG, SB LP and or Fender.

Thanks

• Members

TTF, I have built a few custom guitars - a couple of them for forumites here.    One was a left handed ES335 clone, I have also built variations on LP's, tele's, hollow bodies, archtops and a variety of acoustics. 

IMG_2809.thumb.JPG.0c74efea61389cd22e31c40ee5ce29cb.JPG

Problem is I am not really looking for a commission right now

• Members

I like SG's myself.

Its a weird thread, but I will do my best.

Custom builder, usually don't do SG, which you are right about. I didn't quite understand the budget. Was that 3000 for one guitar or 1500 max?

If you love the SG, why not just get one. You didn't specify any hing like picks you might like.

Currently Gibson s really a fine choice.

The are currently making a SG with P90 ups. ho doesn't love the warm meaty tones of P90's?  The one I see on the net is in Pelham Blue, which in OMHO is absolutely stunning. They are about 1500. If you grab that I'm gonna be a bit jealous, and I own 2 SG's.

The specs are right here and it comes with a hardshell case too.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SGSPFPCHL--gibson-sg-special-left-handed-faded-pelham-blue

https://www.southpawguitars.com/gibson-left-handed-guitars/2093-gibson-sg-special-with-case-pelham-blue-.html

The other one is a Gibson SG Standard '61 Left-Handed Electric Guitar, which will also have a slim tapered neck.

Out of sock right now. 

Slim taper neck

Burstbucker  pick ups

https://www.samash.com/gibson-sg-standard-61-left-handed-electric-guitar-gsg610lve-p

The Gibson Custom '61 SG Standard VOS Left-Handed Electric Guitar Faded Cherry, well they have a fat chubby neck. Personally I like slim tapered necks, as I have smaller paws. It' rather costly and way over budget, but I want to give you the specs between the the VOS and the standard.

Even if you have to wait, it will take less time than having something built. Any decent custom builder, is gonna be up there in price. The SG is what it it's. It's not like your choosing the look of the flame, like on a Les Paul.

IMO just get one of the Gibson. hey are not as popular as LP's and a tougher re-sell. Great for classic rock or hard rock. They are not really a shredders guitar.

Many years ago I told a friend of mine about Melancon guitars. When my buddy was in New Orleans, he stopped at his shop. The Classic strat like guitar plays like a dream. Sadly Gerald Melancon, passed away last year of cancer. Paul Slagle of Pittman Guitars died last year of  long battle from leukemia. In the world of tele style and strat style guitars they were really tops in their  game.

There's a guy on HC named Keller, man, his work is stunning. Look him up. I'm sure he could build anything you want.

• Members
44 minutes ago, Freeman Keller said:

TTF, I have built a few custom guitars - a couple of them for forumites here.    One was a left handed ES335 clone, I have also built variations on LP's, tele's, hollow bodies, archtops and a variety of acoustics. 

IMG_2809.thumb.JPG.0c74efea61389cd22e31c40ee5ce29cb.JPG

Problem is I am not really looking for a commission right now

Well well, I was just typing out a post and mentioned you.

This is what I'm talking about. 

• Members
4 hours ago, Mikeo said:

Custom builder, usually don't do SG, which you are right about. I didn't quite understand the budget. Was that 3000 for one guitar or 1500 max?

I've never built an SG copy but there is no reason not to.   They are pretty simple, kind of Gibson's answer to the tele.   Th SG stands for "standard guitar".   There were a variety of different versions of the SG over the years, they changed a lot in the neck pocket area (some are notoriously weak there).   

I actually think an SG is a relatively poor choice for a custom unless you want to duplicate an icon guitar (maybe the Fool?).   Otherwise I consider them very plain - you never see fancy woods or shapes or inlays.   Just a standard guitar.

If that is the guitar the OP really wants I know a couple of people who are building SG clones and could flip their templates over and make a lefty.

Archived