Martin update and question on tower array system

wkendhacker

• Members

I’m way late in reporting back, but I bought the Martin OME and love it. No regrets and I got it for $400 less than asking. It supposedly has a blemish, but neither I, nor the Salesman, nor a guitar tech could find it. In my mind, if I don’t see it, it doesn’t exist. 
I’m looking for a tower system. Either the low end Bose L1, the LD Maui 5, or maybe the 600 watt Turbosound. Possibly, but less likely, the boss S1 or turbosound inspire 300 as well. 
many thoughts or opinions?

• Members

Way back when these things first came out I tried the Bose and the Fishman. I ended up with the Fishman Solo amp ( they call it the SA 220 and the new one is called the SA330 ). I liked it better. I may be bias on Fishman products, as I have used them for a long long time.

I still have the amp too.

The new Fishman has a sub you can get and a expander. 

Bose has gone hog wild on these type of systems and you can spend 1000's on there stuff.

The only advice I can give you is try them, see what you like best and what fits your budget. After that you can shop for gently used.

I live in a small populated area and I have to do a lot of research online.. 

Here's what I would use at a solo show. A Martin 00016 I have, the Fishman spectra DI fakes it all very nicely and the Fishman solo amp. For a mic I have Beyer Dynamic I have loved for decades, or a SM 58 Beta.

My buddy's SA 220 bit the dust ( he's a touch rough on gear), but I have heard of some Bose Systems going belly up too. Read the reviews. There's usually two kind of folks that post reviews. The first being omg this is the best thing ever. The other is this sucks or it broke. The best thing to do is try them out side by side in a  shop.

I have a bunch of acoustic amps, a SWR Califorina blonde that's pretty heavy, an old Fishman Loudbox performer, a newer Fishmnan Mini Charge and a Roland AC33. If all fails it's kumbaya. around the campfire.

Different tools for different jobs.

• Moderators

I will second the Fishman, I have had my SA220 for over a decade, and it has served me well [except I had to replace the stand a while back, no biggie]. If you are doing just guitar and voice, it does it better than pretty much anything in its price range, and for less than most of the competition. The SA330 looks like a winner to me, enough wattage for a restaurant/coffehouse, packs small, reasonably easy to carry [the rollers are kind of a PITA, but the shoulder strap is nice and wide].I own a full PA as well, but for solo work, teh Fishman is great. The real trick is room size and shape and positioning.

By comparison the Bose Compact just doesn't seem to have the 'throw' the L1 has. The L1 [with all the bells and whistles] is a great sounding rig...but you are in close to four grand by the time you get the tonematch and the sub. And who needs a sub to do a solo guitar show?

• Members
1 hour ago, daddymack said:

I will second the Fishman, I have had my SA220 for over a decade, and it has served me well [except I had to replace the stand a while back, no biggie]. If you are doing just guitar and voice, it does it better than pretty much anything in its price range, and for less than most of the competition. The SA330 looks like a winner to me, enough wattage for a restaurant/coffehouse, packs small, reasonably easy to carry [the rollers are kind of a PITA, but the shoulder strap is nice and wide].I own a full PA as well, but for solo work, teh Fishman is great. The real trick is room size and shape and positioning.

By comparison the Bose Compact just doesn't seem to have the 'throw' the L1 has. The L1 [with all the bells and whistles] is a great sounding rig...but you are in close to four grand by the time you get the tonematch and the sub. And who needs a sub to do a solo guitar show?

Me too.

The roller skate wheel are pretty worthless, I tried em, like once. I'm gonna go as far to call them cheap. 

Pulls like a car that needs front end alignment badly.  Not bad on a hardwood floor, grass, or uneven black top they are just too small

I kind of stand off to the side of mine. to I hand hear what's coming off the speaker, and the audience can hear what I am playing. My Buddy and I linked them together a few times. I guess the Bose units you can link as many as you want together.

The Fishman is a two tripper from grabbing all you gear from the car to the stage. One hand the fishman, the other hand your guitar. The next tip you make is you accessories, like a mic, your cords, and extras.

The price of the Fishman has actually dropped in the past decade a 100 bucks. I think I paid around $ 999.99 or 899.99 for my Solo Amp back about 11 years ago.

• Moderators

Used I've seen them going for ~$500...there is one on Reverb for $400, plus $150 shipping....the 330 basic runs around $800, which is what I paid for my 220 way back when...it has paid for itself...

I sometimes cheat and run a small powered hotspot monitor mounted under the mic; this allows me to push the SA harder with no feedback issues, but that doesn't happen often [mainly outdoor private parties]

Archived