Sign in to follow this  
Grant Harding

Martin D-28 Pricing?

So are these going to hold their value going forward with so many thousands of excellent guitars being made around the world?

I've always wanted one but they're just wild prices out here on the edge. 

The D-28 has been around for 89 years, though in different configurations. I don't see them going anywhere. As for value, if that's your motivation then there's the D-40,41,45. If you just want a D-28 though and they cost a lot and you're outside the US, well I'm sorry but it is what it is given the state of duties and tariffs.

Definitely want a D-28, but don't know if I should be trying to source a second- hand one from the US, or just bite the bullet and get a new locally distributed one.

Still pretty smitten by a Gibson Dove I played last year...

5 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

Definitely want a D-28, but don't know if I should be trying to source a second- hand one from the US, or just bite the bullet and get a new locally distributed one.

I like those a lot too.

The 2 Gibby acoustics I have are a  Gibson 100 Anniversary J45 and a J185. I like em both.  They sound very different from each other.

17 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

Yes, but which version of the D-28? It’s hard to keep track with all the different versions over the years.

I think going with the current reimagined is your best bet but I can’t get on board with the trend with these VTS soundboards that are supposedly pre-aged to behave like a played-in guitar. Part of the joy of owning a guitar is “breaking it in.” 

I agree about buying new, especially with acoustics, but these have been made for so long that there are bound to be decent used ones bouncing around. 

If they've made any fundamental design improvements to the model I'd want those, in case the old ones didn't have truss rods, etc.

I'm fine with changing the nut, saddle, frets, etc, but wouldn't want one that needs a neck reset. 

On 6/6/2020 at 3:46 PM, Grant Harding said:

I’d definitely look for a used one on your side of the pond. Depreciation and duties - not to mention the greater potential for damage in shipping from handling and the elements definitely make buying new unpalatable. There are plenty of cork sniffers and soundhole buffers abound who impulse buy because they “gotta have it” only to find that what they wanted was just the thrill of the hunt and are employing a “catch and release” protocol that ends of costing them money. Fortunately, you don’t sound like one of those types - which means that as a buyer you have a certain advantage. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, the Martin will hold its value better than just about any other acoustic out there.

To get around that I bought a used Guild D50 years ago and never looked back. The Guild holds up quite well against my friend's D28. What's that Aussie acoustic brand? I have heard those are pretty sweet.

My D-28 was bought new for €2, 150 in 2014. It's mint and somewhat opened up. I reckon I could easily make back what I paid for it, and maybe a bit more. They go for almost €3,000 new, currently.