Martin D-28 Pricing?

Grant Harding

• Members

The D-28 has been around for 89 years, though in different configurations. I don't see them going anywhere. As for value, if that's your motivation then there's the D-40,41,45. If you just want a D-28 though and they cost a lot and you're outside the US, well I'm sorry but it is what it is given the state of duties and tariffs.

• Members
5 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

Definitely want a D-28, but don't know if I should be trying to source a second- hand one from the US, or just bite the bullet and get a new locally distributed one.

Still pretty smitten by a Gibson Dove I played last year...

I like those a lot too.

The 2 Gibby acoustics I have are a  Gibson 100 Anniversary J45 and a J185. I like em both.  They sound very different from each other.

• Members
17 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

Definitely want a D-28, but don't know if I should be trying to source a second- hand one from the US, or just bite the bullet and get a new locally distributed one.

Yes, but which version of the D-28? It’s hard to keep track with all the different versions over the years.

I think going with the current reimagined is your best bet but I can’t get on board with the trend with these VTS soundboards that are supposedly pre-aged to behave like a played-in guitar. Part of the joy of owning a guitar is “breaking it in.” 

• Members

I agree about buying new, especially with acoustics, but these have been made for so long that there are bound to be decent used ones bouncing around. 

If they've made any fundamental design improvements to the model I'd want those, in case the old ones didn't have truss rods, etc.

I'm fine with changing the nut, saddle, frets, etc, but wouldn't want one that needs a neck reset. 

• Members
On 6/6/2020 at 3:46 PM, Grant Harding said:

I’d definitely look for a used one on your side of the pond. Depreciation and duties - not to mention the greater potential for damage in shipping from handling and the elements definitely make buying new unpalatable. There are plenty of cork sniffers and soundhole buffers abound who impulse buy because they “gotta have it” only to find that what they wanted was just the thrill of the hunt and are employing a “catch and release” protocol that ends of costing them money. Fortunately, you don’t sound like one of those types - which means that as a buyer you have a certain advantage. 

• Members

Yes, the Martin will hold its value better than just about any other acoustic out there.

To get around that I bought a used Guild D50 years ago and never looked back. The Guild holds up quite well against my friend's D28. What's that Aussie acoustic brand? I have heard those are pretty sweet.

• Members

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Much like Gibson both of which have histories of mythical proportion and are unreasonably priced compared to other offerings that cost less and minus the bragging rights make music just as well. And yes they will hold their value as long as there are marketing experts around to continue fostering the myth.

• Members

I never instrument as an investment. If they are wort more than I paid for them some day, so be it.

Update on my new Martin 00028 standard. 

Amazing. I have a couple other 000's but this thing is sounding wow. About 4 months old now, and is really opening up nicely.

I'm glad I chose the Standard. The neck is perfect for me (smaller hands and finders)

Since the covid 19 thing hit I haven't really taken it out. Still haven't talked to my luthier about which fishman pick system would be the best for me. 

Looks like the DMV finally opened up in town. That will be a time saver. I have needed a new license since March.

IMO if you are fortunate  enough to purchase a Martin, keep it for ever and ever. I heard the D28 was expensive back in the 30's and 40's. Pass the joy of the guitar on to your children and then, on your deathbed, hand them the guitar. Maybe before that.

Archived