Suggest for me a silver and/or a "different" guitar $800 or less.

u6crash

• Members

Getting the itch to buy a new guitar. Used is almost preferred. Things I don't want: Stratocasters and Les Pauls. Probably not a Telecaster or SG, but of the four I'd lean more towards an SG, especially if it were an interesting variant. The two guitars that got me thinking on this were:

tbird.thumb.jpg.038ba555383fd1d51aa5eff58a384012.jpg

The Guild T-Bird S-200 reissue. Have heard positive things about how it plays. I've said this should maybe be called the eye fungus guitar as it is ugly, but it grows on me a little more every time I see it.

The second guitar is:

gretsch.thumb.jpg.3384601cd1d98cc125803e5d0c88a88e.jpg

The Gretsch Club Jet, or really, a number of variants in that family. I'm a little surprised (and suspicious?) that these are $350 brand new. Once upon a time I had an American Standard Stratocaster in Inca Silver that was my all time favorite guitar and the only thing I would have changed about it was making it a hardtail and maybe some custom wiring. I may replace that some day, but right now I'm looking for something different and/or silver. Also not too pointy. If it's a model from the big two then it would probably have to be something different like a Lonnie Mack Flying V versus a regular V, but that's probably not in my budget either.

For some frame of reference, my primary electric guitars currently are a DeArmond Starfire (in red), an Epiphone Dot (dark sunburst), and DeArmond M72 (natural flametop). 12-strings and tenor guitars are possibilities. Prefer chrome or nickel hardware over black and gold. Interested to see what folks might try to talk me into.

• Members
2 hours ago, daddymack said:

have you looked at Eastwood?

What about Danelectro?

both have some interesting models, shapes and colors, many well within your price range.

Been on the fence about Eastwood. I like a lot of their reissued designs, but would rather see them do some more originals. Maybe I'll revisit some of the Backlund models.

I love a lot of Dano designs, but my only experience with one wasn't great. The fit and finish just wasn't there. Ditto tuning stability. Maybe they've changed? The Dano Pro is one of my favorite shapes, but it was a short scale and is out of production I think.

• Members
2 hours ago, u6crash said:

Getting the itch to buy a new guitar. Used is almost preferred. Things I don't want: Stratocasters and Les Pauls. Probably not a Telecaster or SG, but of the four I'd lean more towards an SG, especially if it were an interesting variant. The two guitars that got me thinking on this were:

tbird.thumb.jpg.038ba555383fd1d51aa5eff58a384012.jpg

The Guild T-Bird S-200 reissue. Have heard positive things about how it plays. I've said this should maybe be called the eye fungus guitar as it is ugly, but it grows on me a little more every time I see it.

The second guitar is:

gretsch.thumb.jpg.3384601cd1d98cc125803e5d0c88a88e.jpg

The Gretsch Club Jet, or really, a number of variants in that family. I'm a little surprised (and suspicious?) that these are $350 brand new. Once upon a time I had an American Standard Stratocaster in Inca Silver that was my all time favorite guitar and the only thing I would have changed about it was making it a hardtail and maybe some custom wiring. I may replace that some day, but right now I'm looking for something different and/or silver. Also not too pointy. If it's a model from the big two then it would probably have to be something different like a Lonnie Mack Flying V versus a regular V, but that's probably not in my budget either.

For some frame of reference, my primary electric guitars currently are a DeArmond Starfire (in red), an Epiphone Dot (dark sunburst), and DeArmond M72 (natural flametop). 12-strings and tenor guitars are possibilities. Prefer chrome or nickel hardware over black and gold. Interested to see what folks might try to talk me into.

I have a black duo Jet with TV Jones pups and a bigsby, they make it in a sparkle silver too. It's way more than you want to pay.

Try the electromatics, as they are very nice. Replace the pups with some TV Jones when you get the chance.

I once brought a  Dearmond M75T in ‘Champagne Sparkle, but  it was super heavy. The ones made later were tone chambered and will have the smaller headstock.

Fender Jazzmaster came in inca silver, but it's a rare color. That was 10 years ago.

• Members

I have never played the Guild. It is very cool looking and reminds me of the Billy Bo guitar the Reverend has which is a Gretsch. I like the Gretsch and own a Electromatic and would recommend that.

Gretsch Billy Bo Guitar Model - Ed Roman Guitars

• Members

Nice of Mikeo to type out what I was going to suggest. :)

If you got that Gretsch, after you put in the superb TV Jones pup, you go extra mile and put in a Les trem 2 for Bigsby like fun at 1/10 the weight, less cost AND easy to move around to other stop tail gits.

Got one I'd alternate between my Guild Starfire IV (1999 model) and earlier version of Reverend 6 gun.

Have fun! Like yr collection too

• Members

eBay electric guitar, silver body, under $750, low to high, US seller

eBay electric guitars, gray body, under $750, low to high, US Seller

This is quirky and silver/gray Getsch Electromatic 5222 London Gray In Stock! 2020 Gretsch G5222 Electromatic® Double Jet BT V-Stoptail London

Not as quirky and silver Gretsch Electromatic 4239T Airline Silver Gretsch G5230T Electromatic Jet w/ Bigsby Electric Guitar Airline Silver NEW

Add some pickups and hardware? Chun-King cool metalflake 335. Add some pickps and decent hardware? Wholesale Semi Hollow Body 335 Electric Guitar Metal Gray Good Finish

Hagstrom Impala w. retro looks, Very well made, thin shredder neck. Hagstrom Impala Hagstrom Model IMP-BRB Retroscape Impala Brownburst Finish Electric Guitar

Hagstrom II w. Retro looks, shredder neck. Hagstrom Retroscape Series H-IIN Electric Guitar Sunburst

• Members

Fender Jazzmaster in Inca Silver would be amazing if I could find one in my price range.

These Gretsch models mentioned are definitely condenders. I love the way the Hagstroms look. I'd kind of forgotten about them. Will investigate futher.

Reverened Sensai could be something too! Really appreciate all the suggestions. I miss the days when I could flip through physical pages of Musician's Friend catalog. Now I have to search by specific keywords and use filters to avoid looking at 1000 different Strats and LPs.

Really appreciate all the suggestions so far and I definitely have something to think about now.

• Members

Check out this Squier Modern Jazzmaster HH. I'm sure the active pickups will have to go, but at that price you have plenty of room for decent set of pickups and a rewire with coil splitting. I would assume the body routes are normal Jazzmaster as Squier would naturally recycle the standard body for multiple configuration, so you could get a pre-wired standard Jazzmaster guard and drop it right on. No trem though.

It would make a pretty nice guitar. Squier Contemporary Jazzmaster New Free Ship

There is a used one listed to but not really much cheaper when you factor in shipping.

image.thumb.png.6da63469fe4293fb7c0ed26e50ead3f1.png image.thumb.png.5fa018f8d38c7f36daec112c974fa496.png

If it's a straight Jazzmaster you crave on the cheap and the silver/gray color is not important, the J. Mascis Jazzmaster is a great guitar. The Classic Vibes and VM's ae no slouches either. I have a VM and it is a great guitar. I would have bought the Jay Mascis but I already had a white Squier VM Jaguar (also a great guitar if you like the short scale (I'm a lazy rhythm player and really enjoy not having to stretch for chords on it). On the plus side for me (which purists seem to dislike) the pickups are punchy and slightly hot, almost like a P90. I owned a beautiful CIJ Sunburst Jazzmaster and sold it because I just didn't get the tone it put out. A couple years later, I tried (and bought) the VM. It fixed everything I disliked about the Jazzmaster (the pickups) and played every bit as good too.

Archived