Is the LR Baggs Anthem worth it?

smathis

• Members

I have a 90's Martin D-15 that I'd like to install an Anthem in, but since that costs a fair amount money I would have to sell off something I already have. I have a Breedlove C250cme that I am considering selling to help finance the purchase. My question is this: is the Anthem worth it? I love my Martin, it has a huge sentimental value to me and it sounds great. But I also like my Breedlove as it has been my main instrument for 6 years. Is the sound quality of the Anthem worth it? 

• Moderators

that really is a decision only you can make. It is about your ear and your guitars, so opinions beyond 'yes, I put one on my 90's D-15 and it sounds great' are pointless, and even that means little unless you know the experience and skill of the person expressing their opinion...and even then, I would take it with a grain of salt.

• Members

Baggs makes a couple of different Element pick ups. One is called the VCT  and it has a tone control.

I just got a Martin 00028 and I plan on installing the Fishman Eclipse Matrix Blend in it. about $299 plus the install

Of course it's worth it.

A buddy of mine has a D28 and had the D-TAR Multi-Source Pickup-Mic System installed in it. It sounds good.

We both us the Fishman Spectra DI on stage too. It can fake the whole sound of a well mic-ed acoustic. Well worth looking at.

The D18's are very nice sounding for a lower cost Martin. The tops are thinner so make sure you hydrate them in the winter months or they will warp on you. I have 2 00016's and a MC 28, plus the new 00028, and a few Gibson's.

I also have a few acoustic amps. Many times when playing out I us the spectrum DI and just go through the house PA. People like my set as an opener, cause I'm off stage quickly. LOL

The only Baggs pick I use is on my Gibson F5G mandolin. It's the M Radius and I push it through a LR Baggs Venue DI. The set up was not inexpensive, but sound natural and lovely and basically sticks on the mandolin.

In my opinion, anything worth doing is worth doing right.

If you love the Breedlove, keep it, save your money and install something in the Martin at a later date.

• Members
5 minutes ago, DeepEnd said:

Which version are you looking at? The regular Anthem is about $300, the Anthem SL is about $200. Either is spendy but the SL might be more doable in terms of budget.

I would go for the best one.

• Members
17 minutes ago, smathis said:

I would go for the best one.

"Best" is relative. The regular Anthem has a "mix" control and a level control for the mic, the SL only has a level control for the mic. There are some other differences that you can read about here: https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/lr-baggs-pickups-buying-guide/ If you simply must have the full blown Anthem expect to pay for it.

• Members
9 minutes ago, DeepEnd said:

"Best" is relative. The regular Anthem has a "mix" control and a level control for the mic, the SL only has a level control for the mic. There are some other differences that you can read about here: https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/lr-baggs-pickups-buying-guide/ If you simply must have the full blown Anthem expect to pay for it.

I should have clarified, what I meant to say was that I would go for the full Anthem system. 

Archived