RCF ART 300 Passives experiences ?

• Members

I'm again looking into some good price/quality passive speaker I want to use to power my AxeFx. I already have a Carvin DMC1540L amp, now I need decent FR monitors.

Any opinions on these ?

Also, the Carvin is 450watts... Is it ok to run 300 watt speakers on them if I only turn the volume halfway ?

thanks

• Members

I'm old school. A guitar amp has a 12" speaker in it for the most part. Why does one need a PA speaker with a high frequency driver to emulate a guitar amp?

I've done some bands where a guy was using a line six with mackie speakers and the result was worse than a bad boob job.

I'm told that the new amp sims are fantastic but, hey, I'm old school. Give me a tube amp and a cable and I'll get tone out of it.

• Members

I'm old school. A guitar amp has a 12" speaker in it for the most part. Why does one need a PA speaker with a high frequency driver to emulate a guitar amp?

Because not all guitar speakers sound alike, you need a speaker capable of reproducing a more full range sound so it can emulate many different cabnits, all of which will have different signatures as far as the high end goes. You also need the speaker to have as little "color" in it as possible so it can accurately reproduce what the emulator is giving it. In a nutshell, a good PA cabinet is a blank canvas.

• Members

I'll address the last part first. Do not think of that knob on your amplifier as a volume control. It's designed to adjust the input sensitivity. Sure, that means volume in one respect, but it's misleading to think of it that way. If you're input strength suddenly spikes, just because the knob is only 1/2 way up, the input signal can still be strong enough to cause damage. Short way to put it, the "volume knob" does not limit the signal strength, it just pads it.

I own some powered RCF speakers (322A and 522A) and like them both. If you are talking about the original Art 300 speaker, it's an older version made by Mackie. It's 300RMS and 1200W peak. Powering it with 450W is practical, although, if you're using it for guitar only, you need nowhere near that much. If it's used, it could be 10 years old by now. In this case, it's always good to know the history of the speaker if possible. If not, use your instincts. If the cabinet is in sad shape, assume it's been ridden hard. If the person you're buying from talks about how loud it gets and demos it for you at ear piercing levels, then tells you it was used in his metal band for the last 5 years as mains and they had no subs and were running kick and bass, you may want to rethink.

• Members

Thanks for the input guys. The line 6's are nowhere close to the Axe. Quite some people got amazing results out of it.

Well, they look in very good shape and have been used to make announcements on bikes shows ;)

It's indeed the older ART 300 versions. Is that a good or bad thing ? How FR are these and do they have enough warmth in your experience ?

I was afraid of that power-explanation. I think the Carvin has a lower or equal peak of 1200w. Would that still be a usable combination ?

• Members

There aren't likely going to be many around that have any experience with these speakers. They just weren't that popular or available compared to other brands. Warmth? that's not really a big part of PA speakers, at least not like guitar speakers. You don't really want a PA speaker to sound one way or the other. You want them to be neutral so they take on the sound of whatever it is being reproduced. That said, some speakers do have a more brittle high end or get harsh when pushed. An EQ can take care of the fine tuning for the most part.

As for your Carvin amp that was 450W and is now 1200W, I don't really know what you're talking about there. What is the amp model?

• Members

It's the DCM1540L:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=DCM1540L

I thought there was some peak power involved in the specs as well, but not sure, I'm quite a n00b when it comes to this kind amplification.

As fore the warmth, you are right, but like you also mention, I came across some speakers where reviews mention brittle high's, so I hoop to find one with a "sweeter" or warmer high end if these are the correct terms.

I'm also looking at Electro Voice ZX-1's (quite different thing, 8" etc, but cmoparable price range,so just checking).

Would there be any other brand and type you'de recommend. I've also been looking at Electro voice Force I's (15" based).

• Members

Another thing I don't get... when speaker specs mention, for example:

- EV ZX1: 200W Continuous, 400W Program, 800w peak

- ART300: 300W, RMS; 1200W Peak (although here is specifically mentioned, recommended amp power 450watt)

So I guess Continuous = RMS ?

Would a 200/400/800 RMS/Prog/Peak speaker be a decent fit for a 425w/channel amp ?

edit: ah, some interesting info from the EV-site. Other than I've always thought:

"How do I decide how powerful of an amplifier I should use to drive my loudspeakers?

There are many variables that can go into choosing the right amplifier to match with a loudspeaker. Some of the most important information to know first is what the continuous power rating of your loudspeaker is, and what its nominal impedance is. A good rule of thumb is to select an amplifier that can deliver 100%-200% of the loudspeaker

• Members

maybe I'm missing the point

is the OP going to plug his guitar into the AxeFX>Carvin1450>two speakers to blast the audience with almost 1000 watts?

(I doubt I'd want to mix this band)

OR

is the OP going to use these speakers for floor monitors and have vocals etc mixed into them as part of a full PA monitor setup?

(a decent scenerio)

OR thirdly (if that's a word)

is the OP using these speakers for his own monitor (in stereo) and sending a signal from the AxeFX to the board as well.

(thinking to myself this is overkill, too much stage clutter and possibly the beginnings of a very loud stage)

• Members

Strat Tool, thanks for the critical opinion! Maybe I'm overlooking things since I'm quite new with this kind of equipment, so a lot to learn

As for the options you list:

1. Almost certainly not ;) or it would be for a very small audience 40-50 people.

2. Mostly yup, probably for band rehearsal, I'm looking at a solution where I can mix vocals in the future, along with the axe and be able to cope with a drummer volume wise.

3. Could most certainly be a possibility, depending on the technician and FOH system at a gig.

Reason I have a more powerful amp is mostly to have spare headroom with a guitar, and not because I want to melt my and other people's faces ;). Common problem with the axe and weaker solid state power amps is the lack of good headroom.

Also, I want to be able to tweak my Axe's patches as close as possible to fit a FR FOH system, so only minor general EQ tweaking in the Axe is necessary depending on the venue.

Archived