Feedback issues

• Members

yes...it helped a little. I just wish there was more information on the effects and how to set them. From what Ive learned the internal processer is too small to handle the things you can load it up with. Ive since added an external eq.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

2 things come to mind. 1st the wireless mic could be dying (not because of phantom power but units will shift over time between reciver and transmitter. Time for a new or serviced wireless mic.

2nd, is there a compressor inserted on that mic channel or subgroup (or mains) with a low threshold, high ratio and high output gain? Most important is the low threshold, next is how much (ratio) and output gain could be made up either at the compressor or fader. The other way to keep the threshold high and still do the exact same thing is to have too much gain at the gain pot (pre-insert, means the threshold doesn't have to be low to get the compressor squashing the signal, when there isn't much signal the output gain raises the noise floor so high the feedback starts to occur.

hope that helps.

Also, don't be the guy around when something breaks. I learned that young.

• Members

Also, don't be the guy around when something breaks. I learned that young.

No kidding. I've probably told this story before, but this post won't transfer so...

Worked at a club years ago that was run by an organized crime group. I wanted to change a light bulb on a music stand, when the janitor (that's what they were called then) told me not to.

He said if I changed the bulb without permission, then if anything broke, like the fridge, or air conditioner etc. I would be blamed.

Instead, he would ask one of the bosses. If they said change the bulb, anything that went wrong would be on them.

Lesson learned.

• Members

Wow after reading all the latest posts I have lots to try.

I did do some looking and I think I might have found the model number of the wireless mic. I think it is either a ATW-201 or an ATW-202. I know for sure it is UHF.

I also know that the phantom power is turned off. They wanted to turn it on at one point and I advised them not too cause they dont really need it in this situation.

I will check the feedback ferret and see what its setting are on right now whether it is static or dynamic. I think it is on static so I will try the other.

As far as sub level control, I dont think it will be much of an issue, They dont like much bass so if anything, it will be turned down, not up. I like my music louder so pretty much when I get up from working at the board, they turn the masters down lol.

I am going to try a few things tonight, and get a model number off of the wireless mic and see if I can figure this stuff out.

• Members

O and there is no compressor being used at all on any channel.

Also, What are some recommended wireless handheld mics, that are affordable.. They dont have to be great, I need cheap that will last. I'd like to get them to get something with at least 2 mics on the same receiver.. Sure would eliminate some of the mess we have going on right now. I'm going to say less then 300 bucks if possible.. And even still I doubt they get anything new.

• Members

I'd tell them "As you have no confidence in my assessment of the system problems, ignored my suggestions for new equipment, and have given repeat business to a company I consider to be of questionable ability, I feel it best that I step aside and allow you to find someone else to handle the sound system duties."

Then find someone from whom you can learn.

Life's too short....

• Members

So you are looking for a cheap wireless mic to solve a problem with a cheap wireless mic. Anybody see a problem here???

Uh they are not me.. I'd love for them to have some nice Sure mics, but I know it wont happen. They told me tonight this one that is going out was used when they first got it, and they have had it for about 5-6 years. I just hope they get a new one fast.. I know they are just gonna go back to the same stupid sound company and take we he puts in their face that is cheap. To them, cheap is better then quality. If only I could make them understand it is cheaper in the long run to buy quality from the get go.

And I did walk away for about a month.. But let me tell you, the bad go so much worse while I was gone.. I think I finally have them to the point where they know I am the best they have at running the equipment they have purchased. Now all that is left is getting the equipment set up the way it should be.. The did mention getting someone to come in to set up the eqs properly. Said something about having some kind of computer thing that pretty much tell you exactly how to set it up to sound the best.. Lost me on that part, never seen such a contraption.

I did get the feedback ferret working right. It was on static and now it is on dynamic. I adjusted the crossover in the board, and now it sounds pretty darn good. I adjusted the built in eq a little tonight and it sounds about the best it ever has. Now to fix this one mic. And at this point it is pretty much up to them spending money to get the problem fixed.

• Members

Broke after 5-6 years? Ugh. we have wireless units that are still working perfectly after 10-12 years and tens of thousands of touring miles.

Low expectations are easy to meet cheaply. I wonder how your church would feel if their minister only worked intermittently, or said the right things "most" of the time but sometimes said the wrong things? Would that be worth paying the guy less?

Just an interesting peek into human nature I suppose.

• Members

Broke after 5-6 years? Ugh. we have wireless units that are still working perfectly after 10-12 years and tens of thousands of touring miles.

Low expectations are easy to meet cheaply. I wonder how your church would feel if their minister only worked intermittently, Would that be worth paying the guy less?

Actually, when he has used this in the mic there is always a few second every now and then that the mic just cuts out so you dont hear him for 2-3 before it comes back on.. It's almost as if the battery goes dead with a brand new battery every time.

And he hardly gets paid anything already. At the last meeting we had, we discussed finances and he actually hasn't gotten his salary a couple times because we haven't had the money to pay. This is why we have such a low budget to do things.

• Members

Well, a new Shure SLX system is $600. The Line6 XDR system is $400. If you can't cough up $400 bucks for a wireless system, maybe you should be using a wired mic. Come to think of it, I'm frankly surprised you've been willing to deal with cut-outs and feedback vs just switching over to a wired mic!

• Members

Have them put aside the $300 for the budget, then $20 each week for the next five weeks so they can afford the Line6 system.

In the meantime use a wired mic.

I work for a very large church here in town, almost a mega-church and while I understand the idea of "there is just plain zero money" equipment failure like that is just not okay. If you only have one working mic left in the building, it goes on pastor.

If you have to lose a mic on guitar or something, so be it. If he has to trail a 50' cord behind him, or 5 10' cords all patched together okay. But pastor's mic MUST work.

• Members

Have them put aside the $300 for the budget, then $20 each week for the next five weeks so they can afford the Line6 system.

In the meantime use a wired mic.

I work for a very large church here in town, almost a mega-church and while I understand the idea of "there is just plain zero money" equipment failure like that is just not okay. If you only have one working mic left in the building, it goes on pastor.

If you have to lose a mic on guitar or something, so be it. If he has to trail a 50' cord behind him, or 5 10' cords all patched together okay. But pastor's mic MUST work.

+1

Yea, I believe I mentioned wired a few posts back as well.

It's funny how people are convinced they can't live without wireless. I worked with an Elvis impersonator circa 1980. I gave him a good 50' mic cable and he was able to roam all over the place. We had to have a spotlight operator just to cover him. And I still have that cable and after all that abuse it still works well (I don't use it at gigs, but it still works for my backyard parties....)

So like all the others, I say use a wired for the broken wireless, until you get things sorted out.

• Members

bbrownedville:

I assume you are offering your service free of charge, but church or no church, I would tell them that unless they give you the right tools to fix the problem, they can get someone else to paint a target on their back when the system continues to mess up. Can't build a house without tools, and you can't make broken or miss-matched equipment sound good. They made the choice to go with the low budget sound company and now they are getting what they paid for....a cheap system that sounds........cheap. :bor:

As they say, "If you think that education is expensive, try ignorance".

Mike T.

• Members

Well I talked to them tonight, and they are going to send the one causing the problems off to get repaired. I have no idea who they are shipping it to but said they are going to get it fixed.. I also think they are going to invest in a new one as well.

• Members

Brown:

I realize that churches don't have any money. However, they have to find a way to put the money together. Possibly have a small fund raiser or ask for each family to donate a specific amount divided by the total cost of a new mic. I don't mean to come down hard on your church, but the fact remains that you need to have the tools.

Cheers,

Mike T.

• Members

I told them that.. I explained that in my opinion and many people I talked to(referred to this forum) it was time to upgrade. I said we could get a nice quality wireless for around 4-600.. They have one brand new hotspot they could take back which should be about 100-150 bucks to go towards the mic.. then their response was that they would just send it off.. And that was the end of the conversation because they walked off and blew me off.. I like how they dont value my opinion till they try every other option.. U'd think by now they would realize with the help of you all on this forum that I usually know what I am talking about.

Archived