Drum Amp or JBL PA speaker for Alesis Nitro mesh kit

lrich524

• Members

Just bought the Alesis Nitro mesh kit. Sounds great through my Audio-Technica headphones. I am currently using a very small guitar amp (because that is what I had) and the sound is nowhere near as good as through the headphones. I am looking to buy either a drum amp or a JBL EON 610 or 612. Which would have better sound quality, be more versatile (plug in mic, or keyboard , or guitar, or MP3 player)? What kind of cables would I need? 

• Moderators

For general versatility, I'd go with the JBL 612...guitars won't sound wonderful through it, but your drums, vocal and keyboards will sound fine. 

Most drum amps I have dealt with are either woefully underpowered [50W SS], designed like floor monitors [wedges] or lacking in EQ capability...or all 3.

• Members

If money is no object try the QSC 12" 0r 15"  powered speakers and one of the sub woofers they make. You need the QSC touch screen digital mixer too. Your neighbors are gonna be really happy about this too, and they will love you chops and licks.

Other wise, a nice set of closed headphones like some Beyer's, Sony's or top notch professional headphone should do just fine.

• Moderators

he already has headphones...he needs help picking an amp or a powered speaker...why do you guys suggest headphones when he already said it sounds good in his headphones and he asked about amps and speakers?:facepalm:

Mikeo, he already narrowed it down to the JBL Eons, now you want him to go up to a QSC 15 or a subwoofer...at what, four times the price? Did he mention price not being an object? No, he selected a good pro quality speaker in a reasonable price range...:wave:

look I get it that QSC is top shelf, but not everyone can be a 'corksniffer' on their gear; and nowhere did he ask for the absolute best, he asked what would work for him and he had his own ideas and some folks just need it to be 'good enough'...:rolleyes2:

• Members

again, not enough info...   for? playing at home in the living room or on stage? if on stage, a plethora of issues arise with need...   he asked what would sound best...where?  yeah he said he needed amplification... or actually said he wants it...  ok, you cant answer with any sense of reality for his needs if you dont know what they are...  

and if you can, we are taking this act on the road!  

ive got enough pa to drive an outdoor festival...  my drums sound phenomenal through it... even though i live on a hundred and twenty acres, i dont do that...  its not a. practical nor 2. very thoughtful to my neighbors...  drum amp... what drum amp?   its like asking which is better, a cadillac or a camel?  obviously the cadillac...? except i needed to brush my teeth...   its not always about being a corksniffer... sometimes its about having a little experience and shifting focus from what isnt necessarily a need and helping someone become a better musician. period.   qsc is not top shelf. i have, use and enjoy it as well as yorkville elite subs... but there is def far better and far pricier toys....   implying a forumite is whatever kind of derogatory term isnt really acceptable here, is it???    i mean im back,  trying to behave myself and get slapped twice for trying to offer advice... when it was asked for...  dissed by another, that is regularly defended, and just so you know, yes i have some {censored}ing expensive gear...  and earned each {censored}ing bit by my own sweat and ability....  often making sacrifices others wouldnt.   so yeah, welcome to the boards... where a mans advice, whos made his living most of his life, playing drums, is trumped by one who knows what a jbl eon speaker is...  

corksniffer implies or suggests one that buys expensive gear to make up for lack of ability to express themselves on any given instrument, often basing extravagant expense upon irrelevant or even misunderstood issues...  

thanks for putting me in my place.

• Moderators

Voltan...seriously, chill out....

I have jammed with several drummers over the years who used both high end [Alesis, Roland] and relatively cheap [simmons] electronic drums with either 'drum amps' or powered speakers, and the powered speakers were typically far more articulate [and louder], plus more versatile, as the OP asked about playing keys, guitar and vocals through whatever he gets. If you read my entire post, I attempted to address what he posited, not suggest other things...not off on a tangent, not suggesting far more expensive gear, just offering an opinion on what he was looking at. PERIOD.

I don't play drums, but I've spent decades mixing them, and working with drummers, so I do know what they should sound like, and few drum amps do a great job...IMHO, and he did not specify a particular drum amp, but he did specify the JBL Eons.

Agreed the OP did not express his intention as far as where he wanted to play his drums, but based on what he asked, and what he was considering, I took it to mean he wanted to be able to amplify his kit adequately, possibly in a band rehearsal type situation, or just at home to annoy his neighbors....😉 [something responsible individuals would never do!]

Yes, I was putting you in your place for suggesting headphones when he already said he liked the sound in his headphones😜:wave:

So rather than getting your skivvies in a knot, next time just answer the guy's question....😎

• Members

no...   defining the issue first is the only way you can answer...  there is no question to answer...  its simply to vague, to big of a sandbox to say a jbl eon 8 or 10 will handle the toms let alone bass...  ive got qsc 10s which will flat out dust a jbl eon 10 and it wont reproduce my 24 or 26” acoustic kick worth beans...its not going to magically reproduce digitally what it just cant muster...      further, neither of us have a clue to the physical requirements... apartment? large house? open acerage with no neighbors for three miles?   each begs a different path to different answers and its futile to try and guess...  

so, putting me in my place for making the only obviously feasible response to the information, or lack of, possible, that makes any sense...  i dont care how many knobs youve twisted, you simply cant answer an undefined question and siund like you have any sense...  do i need to draw a picture? cause youre talking at me, not listening...  par for this place. 

Archived