What's THAT hum??

ksl

• Members

Hmmm,,,,Hope you're all doing well,,,, Check this out,,, I picked up this 80's Strat E-series, wonderful creme, & when plugged it in 1,3,& 5 were fine, hum & all, but 2 & 4 were out of phase & HUM in #2,,,, Okay, so I opened it up,, all the whites were to hot, blacks to ground, so I anyway swapped the wires on the middle pup & now they're all in phase, got my quack back, but now 4 is humming,,, do I have to live the rest of my life with hum in 2 or 4??  I'm cursed,,,, hopefully these pics will get us somewhere...FWIW, the B/M/N measure 4.7/5.97/4.81, respectively.  It looks like a 'set', but isn't the bridge p/u usually the hottest?

20200511_195351.jpg

20200511_195513.jpg

20200511_195405.jpg

20200511_195351.thumb.jpg.0386fca198a2be3652690902f4f8bae9.jpg

20200511_195513.thumb.jpg.010669c4a79144d7cd203f81afbb9887.jpg

20200511_195405.thumb.jpg.b9103cafa4e7e7909310a1d91cd01441.jpg

• Members

Not all strats hum cancel in the 2 and 4 positions. The middle pickup has to be rwrp, reverse wrap reverse polarity. It sounds like yours arent.

They are actually probably all the same pickup and your resistance measurements just show the manufacturing tolerances. 

Anyway, it looks like there is zero shielding in the cavity or on the pickguard.  Even if they were rwrp you would get some hum.  Humbucking only cancels the noise generated at the pickups.  All the wire headed to your output jack will pick up noise as well.

• Moderators

all good answers...reflow those solder joints, trim all the excess wire...if you can, add shielding around the wires ... and shield the pickguard, and the cavity...is there a trem on that thing? Make sure you have a solid ground to the bridge and to the jack. Also clean all the switch contacts [that sucker looks grungy].

Agreed that to have hum cancellation in 2/4 the mid p-up should be reversed polarity/reverse wound. You could even put a stacked humbucker in the mid slot[ tonally a waste, but it would clean up that issue]

• Members

"Vv⁰Thnx for the tips. I'm probably going to guy it, going  with a Schaller MEGASWITCH E, giving you the N&B instead of the middle by itself, and all other positions still the same.

Be well~

• Members
7 hours ago, ksl said:

"Vv⁰Thnx for the tips. I'm probably going to guy it, going  with a Schaller MEGASWITCH E, giving you the N&B instead of the middle by itself, and all other positions still the same.

Be well~

I'd rather put in a small toggle or a push pull that turns the bridge on in any position.  Then you wouldn't lose the middle pickup on its own, which IMO, is a great tone. 

Archived