Sunn Concert Bass

isaac42

• Moderators

I used to play through a setup like this. Sunn Concert Bass amp, 150 watts into 4 ohms, and a Sunn 215S cabinet with, you guessed it, two 15" drivers. I have no idea how the sound would compare with what I'm using now, fifty years later.

00f0f_3J7TOpYWGSa_1200x900.jpg

• Moderators

We used to use a Sunn Concert Bass amp to power our PA...it worked okay...then I got a Crown...that was wayyyyy back when...

The real secret with those 2x15 cabs was to lay them down on their side, and face them to the wall...

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, daddymack said:

We used to use a Sunn Concert Bass amp to power our PA...it worked okay...then I got a Crown...that was wayyyyy back when...

The real secret with those 2x15 cabs was to lay them down on their side, and face them to the wall...

To do what, exactly?

• Moderators

better bass tone...projecting bass at waist high or above doesn't seem to do much except drown out everything else....and cause hearing loss.

by laying the cabinet down, in my experience, we got more thump, more spread...and it was almost 'compressed'...hard to put into words. I've done this for many years and most bassists are surprised now much better it sounds. Works best with 15s, even a 1x15 cab facing the wall sounds deeper.

• Moderators
22 hours ago, daddymack said:

better bass tone...projecting bass at waist high or above doesn't seem to do much except drown out everything else....and cause hearing loss.

by laying the cabinet down, in my experience, we got more thump, more spread...and it was almost 'compressed'...hard to put into words. I've done this for many years and most bassists are surprised now much better it sounds. Works best with 15s, even a 1x15 cab facing the wall sounds deeper.

Seems to me that you'd be killing the mids and highs, where most of the tone is.

• Moderators
23 hours ago, daddymack said:

surprisingly not. try it sometime. Pretty much any bassist I've demo'd this for has liked it.

Sure, why not? Won't cost me anything to try. Assuming I ever play again!

• Moderators
On 5/10/2020 at 11:40 AM, daddymack said:

Any specific distance from the wall?

Archived