O/T: Need help w/ iTunes predicament

• Members

The loud scream you may have heard moments ago was me. I think I'm about to learn a lesson the hard way unless someone out there can can save the day. Oh Mighty Mouse, where art thou?????

Over the years I've accumulated approximately 1,400 music CDs. For various reasons, I decided a little while ago to rip all of them into my computer in full, uncompressed WAV format. I'm in no hurry to complete this task. I do a few a day. As I'm doing work on my laptop, I'll drop a few CDs into the desktop. Not a big deal.

To this point, I've ripped 333 CDs which equates to 2,949 songs and 116GB of data. I thought it would eat more harddrive space than that, but that's where things are at. I have 4 terrabytes, so space isn't a problem.

Here's the problem: I just looked within the actual folders and to my dismay I found that the tag information isn't kept w/ WAV files. iTunes apparently keeps tag info only w/ AIFF, AAC, MP3, or Apple Lossless files. Several years ago I used an application called MusicMatch Jukebox and I swear it kept the tag information when ripping WAV files. I thought it would be the same w/ iTunes, but apparently it doesn't work that way (or perhaps my memory concerning MMJB is incorrect). So anyway, at this point I have 333 folders with just the track number preceding the name of the tune. No other hidden data such as artist name, album, genre, etc. If I erase my iTunes library and add these folders back, all I get is the name of the track preceded by the track number under the NAME heading. There's no artist name, genre, album info, etc. There's no way to sort. I can't pick a specific album to play. To make matters worse, when I go to add the folder back into iTunes, it moves the original folder to an "unknown artist" folder and also changes the name of the folder to "unknown." If I convert the WAV to an MP3 file or some other compressed file and then search for album info to get the tags, iTunes tells me it can't do it because I didn't import the song in MP3 or some other format. "Converting" a WAV file to a compressed file is not treated the same as "importing" a file (ie. ripping it directly into compressed format).

I guess my questions are:

Am I just screwed as far as what I ripped so far?

Is there an application out there which will rip music into WAV format and affix tags?

• Members

I have used wav files occasionally and they have the tags. Not sure if I used iTunes to rip them though. I have about 30,000 songs in my main library. Try something like MP3 Rage. It does seem like iTunes does not do ID3 tags on wav files.

• Members

Don't feel insulted if I say go to the toolbar in iTunes>options>view options>click on what you want to show ?

Whatever program you used to rip the cd's into wave should have the same options.

No. The problem is that iTunes does not capture the ID3 tags with WAV files. It does with all other formats. Not sure who owns the rights to .wav but since ID3 is supported in the other available formats I

• Members

So when you look at your current library, the ripped WAV's show NO song title info at all? You never noticed this as you were working to load them? Ouch.

When I rip the tunes into iTunes in WAV format, the iTunes library shows everything (artist, title, album, length, etc.). However, in the actual folder itself where the song resides, the only info present is the track number followed by a space and then followed by the track title. No other information is there. If I rip it into MP3 or other compressed format, the actual folder will contain the artist, album, track, etc. Essentially, all the information is stored only when ripping it into a compressed format.

If I use Windows Media Player (which I'm not crazy about) to rip a CD into WAV format, all of the tag info is in the folder. However, when I import this into iTunes, it doesn't recognize the information. It simply imports that track title. If I use Windows Media Player to rip a CD into MP3 format, all of the tag folder is in the folder. When I import it into iTunes, it recognizes all of the info. Something about WAV files and iTunes....

Archived