Telecaster build ... your input is appreciated!

6down1togo

• Members

I am working on a semi-hollowbody Telecaster I started ages ago. Was never happy with the lacquer as the burl walnut is extremely porous and I just couldn't get it to fill smoothly. After spraying and sanding more coats than I cared to count, I finally switched to a different lacquer and got what I was looking for after a few additional coats. Now to the decision making. When I first started the project, I purchased some custom ebony pickup rings and small ebony jazz guitar knobs to use. The knobs have an inlaid pearl dot and brass ring on them. The tuners are chrome Hipshot locking with exposed bronze gears so I decided I would go with a subtle chrome and gold/brass 2 tone on the hardware.

The ebony pickup rings are bugging me. They just look like black plastic. I picked up a pair of clear Gretsch pickup rings and back-painted them bronze/gold to match the bridge saddles. Here are pics of both treatments, let me know which you prefer. II am leaning towards the bronze/gold Gretsch rings but go back and forth.

Which look do you prefer?

IMG_2668.JPG

IMG_2669.JPG

• Members

Thanks guys. The gold rings are growing on me too. I just ordered some clear speed knobs that I can back paint to match and see how that looks. The ebony rings and knobs can hit eBay/Reverb as a set that way.

On to the wiring. I have Bourns mini pots and orange drop caps for it. I mounted the pickups but couldn't find the right screws for the trim rings. Pick guard screws are too large and the flat head screws I have don't look right. Needs oval head screws so it's off to the hardware store tomorrow. I've tried ordering screws and the only source for short #2 oval head chrome or stainless without a 2 week wait is Angela Instruments for Genuine Gretsch screws at $9.95 for a pack of 12. Dayum.

Archived