Understanding Chord progression and melodies

• Members

Hi, it's almost a year that I started to learn how to play keyboard. My teacher taught me how to play notes and form triad chords on the Cmaj scale. I was then left to learn the rest on my own with what I've learned. Although i can play and form chords with techniques I've been learning from people I have access to by 'ears' but I do not fully understand Music theory and I find it difficult to write the abstract progressions and melodies I have in mind which makes me know I'm lacking or don't know something I need to know and understand  
Cherish your feedback pals 😱 >>>cheers ✌️

• Moderators

these things take time. Theory...well, there are plenty of books available on theory, harmony, counterpoint....

A simple start point for you. You have a melody and you want to flesh it out with chords. You have a great tool in front of you...a keyboard. It is so much simpler to envision chord structure on a keyboard.

1) write out the notes of the melody. Do they fall entirely within a key? For instance, if the melody is comprised of a, c, d, f, e, g...than you have a number of options, like C major, A minor and a few of the modes.  Does the melody 'sound' like it is more 'major' than minor'?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
On 4/23/2020 at 5:08 AM, Prince Acheampong said:

but I do not fully understand Music theory and I find it difficult to write the abstract progressions and melodies I have in mind 

My opinion is that theory is more of an analytical tool than a compositional one. Although it's really useful in arranging.

From what you stated, I'd say the "play what you sing and sing what you play" method might get you closer to finding what you hear in your head than learning theory.

Archived