Mooncat84

Cory Wong (Vulfpeck) style Funk Guitar Lesson - Try this exercise!

Funk guitar in the style of Cory Wong from Vulfpeck
Give this fun exercise a go! Includes right hand damping, string muting, and of course, Cory's bionic right hand.

I couldn't find a striped t-shirt to pay proper tribute to him. Do you think my polka dots are funky enough?

I like it man! Great lesson.

My only comment would be that maybe it would help people understand the thinking, if you included the chord name. Im not sure the reference - but to me this sounds like a B7 vamp with the high 2 notes are the m7 and M3 to the B and the lower note (F#) simply being the 5th of a B7 chord.  

I only add this not as a criticism, just that when I was earlier in my development a riff like this would have seemed magical - like "how would he have ever come up with that?". But when you see the logic now that idea is applicable in any tonic centre. I know the lesson was more centred around the rhythm aspect - so job done there.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, jeremy_green said:

I like it man! Great lesson.

My only comment would be that maybe it would help people understand the thinking, if you included the chord name. Im not sure the reference - but to me this sounds like a B7 vamp with the high 2 notes are the m7 and M3 to the B and the lower note (F#) simply being the 5th of a B7 chord.  

I only add this not as a criticism, just that when I was earlier in my development a riff like this would have seemed magical - like "how would he have ever come up with that?". But when you see the logic now that idea is applicable in any tonic centre. I know the lesson was more centred around the rhythm aspect - so job done there.

Cheers!

Great idea man! I definitely know the feeling of seeing something cool on guitar and wondering how they came up with it, so I'll take that advice on board.

As for the theory, I was looking at it more as an F#m6 with the minor 3rd and 6 making up the chord on the high strings, tonic in the base, but your way works too. Not sure what way Cory intended it I guess! 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mooncat84 said:

Great idea man! I definitely know the feeling of seeing something cool on guitar and wondering how they came up with it, so I'll take that advice on board.

As for the theory, I was looking at it more as an F#m6 with the minor 3rd and 6 making up the chord on the high strings, tonic in the base, but your way works too. Not sure what way Cory intended it I guess! 

What tune did this come from? I know this is a vamp thing he does but it would be cool to understand his harmonic structure. It feels B7 to me, but it can go a few ways as you point out.

Edited by jeremy_green