Ovation releases two new Adamas models

BDJohnston

• Members

Received a press release dated today. These are more top end and limited edition... love the looks of both.

(April 20th, 2020 -- Oxnard, CA) Ovation Guitars’ Custom Shop is delighted to announce the launch of two new guitars, the Adamas Spalted Maple Electric (U581T-SPM) and the Adamas 6-String Cutaway (MD80-NWT).

Located in New Hartford, Connecticut, the Ovation Custom Shop and its small team of skilled luthiers and craftsmen focus on custom made, USA built Ovation Guitars. All the premium instruments produced in the custom shop are born from over one hundred years of combined expertise married with innovative technology and time-tested construction techniques.

Adamas guitars represent the pinnacle of guitar making, true American craftsmanship combined with modern innovation. The guitar series was the first to feature advanced composite bodies with carbon fiber tops. All Adamas guitars feature top quality hardware, the latest Ovation electronics and are accented by exotic woods and detailed design elements.

The Adams Spalted Maple Electric /Acoustic Guitar (U581T-SPM) (RRP $4199.99) is an instrument that immediately draws attention with its slotted headstock and short scale neck that joins the body at the twelfth fret. The wider than normal fretboard, designed with fingerstyle players in mind, provides easy access and movement. The guitars graphite top is constructed from unidirectional carbon fiber complemented by spalted maple epaulettes and its Lyrachord® mid depth body is surrounded by a curly maple binding.

https://www.ovationguitars.com/adamas/U581T-SPM

The guitar features the breakthrough, pin-less Ovation Keyhole Bridge™, offering a noticeably increased level of sustain and clarity; the result of anchoring the strings via a patent pending, graphite plate under the bridge, inside the body. The guitar is fitted with active direct out making it completely ready for any performance venue. A tough, roadworthy molded case is included. Watch Mark Kroos playing the guitar on the Ovation YouTube Channel.

Also joining the Adamas range is the 6-String Cutaway Electric/Acoustic Guitar (MD80-NWT) (RRP $3699.99). This remarkable instrument, with built in electronics and a graceful cutaway body, is an exciting combination of high-tech materials and ground-breaking design. It features a hand-laid, deep contour, advance composite body with a minimalist, single, offset teardrop sound-hole trimmed with American black walnut to provide a touch of luxury. The sound hole is positioned to allow maximum resonance, amazing tone and projection from the ultra-thin woven, carbon fiber top. The cutaway body gives easy access to all twenty two frets and the Ovation fast playing neck contour provides unsurpassed playability. The Adamas 6-String Cutaway Electric/Acoustic Guitar is equipped with Ovation’s top on the line Op Pro Studio preamp system ensuring feedback resistant performance onstage and a high signal to noise ratio in the studio. It also includes a robust molded case to make travel easy and safe.

https://www.ovationguitars.com/adamas/MD80-NWT

• Members

The Adamas Spalted Maple Electric /Acoustic Guitar (U581T-SPM) (RRP $4199.99)

That's pretty funny.

I'm sure the lines will be long to the sales counter on that one.

I like the necks on Adamas stuff.

Here's the specs you left out. Some folks like to now that stuff when spending that kind of coin.

https://www.ovationguitars.com/adamas/U581T-SPM

https://www.ovationguitars.com/adamas/MD80-NWT

• Moderators

carbon fiber top...so just the decorative 'wings' are spalted maple? Woo-hoo...that's just downright...silly...I like the look [black], but the price is ridiculous, even with the case...might be why they released them now when no one can go try one out...

• Members

Believe it or not there's a lot of work that goes in to making a composite top or complete composite guitar.

My step son works in that field, they make Corvette parts, like the hood.  The company makes medical parts too. Right now every one is in medical. 

I'm sure you could leave one in your car overnight in January in Minneapolis without an issue. Probably leave one in the trunk of your car in August in Florida.   No humidifier ever needed.

There's a local guy here, that plays a Rain Song and another brand of composite guitars. I tried the Rain Song and it is rather heavy, it's loud, but lacks some real tone and warmth that found in wood. 

He and his wife are older and show up a open mics and some club show. Super sweet peeps. He goes around and plays nursing homes.

• Members

Yo yo Ma

Plays a Luis and Clark cello

Black Carbon-Fiber Cello
Price: $7,139.00
Free Delivery in Continental US.

He probably left the 2.5 million dollar one the back of the taxi again.:freak:

Musician Yo-Yo Ma forgot his $2.5-million, 266-year-old cello in the trunk of a taxi on Saturday, but police tracked it down at a garage in Queens.

YoYo_Ma_81106_41.jpg

• Moderators

Rainsong guitars sell in the 2-3k range...I have to think Ovation is pricing their 'innovations' above what the market will respond to...then again no one pays list...we shall see what the real street price becomes. But making a big deal out of the Adamas' 'wings' being spalted maple is just laughable...

I don't think Yo-yo has left a cello in a cab's trunk in several years now...and that CF cello 'looks' good....let's face it, he can have pretty much any non-institutionalized cello on the planet...and he uses the CF one...must be better than just okay...

• Moderators

I think technically, he does not own it, it is likely 'on loan' to him through a foundation...I know a few 'classicists' [L.A. Philharmonic, NY Phil, etc...you know, Juilliard grads..] who have the use of Stradivari's and Amati's that way. One of my mentors [Juilliard grad] had a Steinway 'grant', and two days after he died, the movers were there to collect the piano*...

*I got to play it,  twice...never heard anything quite like it.

On 4/23/2020 at 11:35 AM, Gibson29 said:

And you’ll need one of these anti-slip pads! 😜 I bet it plays very good though.  Way too pricey.

gallery

Ovation-guitar-anti-slip-grip-pad-Fabulous-stocking-stuffer-for-musicians

I don't own one now, but I've owned several different Ovations over the years, and I never had a problem with them sliding off my lap, even without the pad. YMMV. 

• Members
1 hour ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

I don't own one now, but I've owned several different Ovations over the years, and I never had a problem with them sliding off my lap, even without the pad. YMMV. 

The super shallow bowl Ovations are much better at not sliding than the full bowl Ovations.

I have played many.

• Members
2 minutes ago, Mikeo said:

The super shallow bowl Ovations are much better at not sliding than the full bowl Ovations.

I have played many.

I have two at the moment, a super-shallow 6-string and a full-depth 12.  No problem with either.

They have a very unique sound and feel, but they can definitely be made to sound good as a stage instrument.

Archived