VOM1T 2020

garthman

• Members
23 hours ago, Idunno said:

The non-ferrous metal used in the wound strings will not be sensed by the magnetic flux field of a typical pick-up. But, all wound strings use a steel core and the p'up will definitely sense that part of the string and put it in the signal chain. The question to ask is if the steel cores are of such a gauge (mass) to be sensed in a balanced fashion with the other strings. If not, some EQ'ing will be needed. But, all wound strings can be manipulated through the chain to bring a pleasing sound. It's only when silk and steel is encountered that the bass strings are un-sensed.

pickups with screw adjustable poles can help equalize the strings

• Members

Hi there here`s a version of  Chuck Berry`s Memphis Tennessee recorded with a strat pickup stuck in the sound hole and going  direct into the computer  in one side of the stereo and a mic for the voice which also picks up some of the guitar into the other side of the stereo .The soundhole pickup is direct with no fx and more or less sounds just like one of my electrics would the strings appear quite balanced i did raise the EQ by a couple of db from about 220 hertz down to bring the bass strings up a tad.

• Members
14 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

catscurlyear - Well done. Interesting sound from the guitar too, not quite electric or acoustic.

Thanks deepend ,yes it`s not a bad sound ,it is direct into the computer though and i know from havin plugged electric s in direct that the tones are very limited into the computers .

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I meant to post this on the 6th August but was busy. Anyway, better late than not at all.

"I Come And Stand At Every Door" from a poem by Turkish dissident Nazim Hikmet. Translated by Jeanette Turner and set to a melody written by Jim Waters.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Hoo boy, it’s been a minute since I submitted a VOM.  Probably about ten years.  I’d like to do it again though.  I’ll try to knock something together.  I wonder if anyone here still remembers me?

It’s quite nice that this thing is still around, regardless.  Really makes me smile. 😊 

• Members
20 hours ago, Verence said:

Hoo boy, it’s been a minute since I submitted a VOM.  Probably about ten years.  I’d like to do it again though.  I’ll try to knock something together.  I wonder if anyone here still remembers me?

It’s quite nice that this thing is still around, regardless.  Really makes me smile. 😊 

Hey Verence! How are you doing?

Yeah - things are a bit quiet here these days but a few of us are doing our best to keep it alive. We would all welcome a VOM song from you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Damn...I haven't been through the VOM1T stuff for years now...I'd forgotten how much I like it!

Deepend, it's great hearing your original stuff. Very poetic and lyrical.

And like Garthman's song, both are really authentic in the way you two deliver them.

Kwakatak - really well done. You make it sound sweet and look easy 😁

Gil..I haven't heard you for years, and your voice surprised me. For some reason I thought you had a Neil-Youngy voice. This register really suits you. Nice work.

And Catscurlyear, I'm kinda jealous...that singing voice seems to come out so easily (even though the guitar parts are no all that simple!). Smooth and really pleasing.

Gratz to you all!

It DOES have the side-effect of making me realise that...

1)I don't know any purely instrumental pieces.

2) My singing voice is a lot ...like that old saw I forgot in the garden all last winter 😶

3) I'm absolutely hopeless at trying to play and sing at the same time!

Very inspiring you lot! Time to get to work! Meet you back here when I can pull something together! 😁

Edited by Brindleleaf

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
12 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

garthman - I appreciated your slower, more moody rendition. Well done. The original seems almost upbeat by comparison, which is odd considering the theme of the song.

Thanks, David. I find I'm slowing down a lot of the covers I do. Seems to me better that way.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi! Still not out of this pandemic for the end of the year 2020.

I hope you are all safe and well and your family too.

I'm on vacations plus I'm confined like the rest of my province.

Merry Christmas to you all !!

Edited by Misha