VOM1T 2020

garthman

• Moderators

so does EGF, DIY and 'teh maps' forum😉

sadly, there are only a few of us moderators left here; two are very 'forum specific', and, of the rest, I am probably the most 'experienced' [longevity] and the most generalized [serving all forums]...

so if you need moderation, feel free to PM me...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi Chaps ,here`s another one ,it`s a version of Chuck Berry`s "Never Can Tell" , what`s going on .

Thought i`d upload another version in the Key of D, done on the old EKO Rio Grande,  in the cellar.

Edited by catscurlyear
  • Like 1

• Members

Here's my latest, an original titled "Part of My Heart." Mrs. DeepEnd and I had small roles in a local low budget film back in 2015 and it inspired this song. I wrote the first verse, bridge, and chorus in June, 2015, and it remained unfinished until I wrote the other two verses this week.

https://soundcloud.com/david-phelps-681437607/part-of-my-heart

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
16 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

garthman - Well done. Thanks for posting. I was beginning to wonder if it was worth daddymack's time to pin this thread.

Thanks, David.

Well, it was my intention of turning it into a sort of "sticky" thread (rather than the monthly posted VOM - simply because very few people were participating) but couldn't see a way of doing it. Daddymack stepped in and pinned it so now it's a new-style sticky. Next January I'll rename it for 2021

People can post stuff whenever they want now - I'll post something every few weeks and it's great to see you and Cats doing so too. Let's hope more folks come along.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 7/21/2020 at 5:48 PM, garthman said:

Cats: Excellent performance! That old Eko sounds good - do you have it amped via the soundhole PU?

Deepend: Lovely song and very well done.

Hi Howard Thanks for the listen .no i`m not using that sound hole pickup, i recorded with two mics one for the vox you can see and one lower down out of shot picking up more of the guitar .the sound hole pickup i have used before but it is too bassy, it is quite an high output pick up 14k or something ,totally wrong, anyway it was a cheapo and it is coming off .i have experimented with an old strat pickup stuck in the sound hole and that is great it is a low output  6k  and is much brighter and sounds realy nice ,i`m gonna fix it in somehow and attach a vol and tone pots  no batterys required, when i can be bothered to get round to it .

• Members
6 hours ago, catscurlyear said:

Hi Howard Thanks for the listen .no i`m not using that sound hole pickup, i recorded with two mics one for the vox you can see and one lower down out of shot picking up more of the guitar .the sound hole pickup i have used before but it is too bassy, it is quite an high output pick up 14k or something ,totally wrong, anyway it was a cheapo and it is coming off .i have experimented with an old strat pickup stuck in the sound hole and that is great it is a low output  6k  and is much brighter and sounds realy nice ,i`m gonna fix it in somehow and attach a vol and tone pots  no batterys required, when i can be bothered to get round to it .

LOL. Yes, bit like deja vu. After trying a few piezo units etc I ended up fitting a cheap and cheerful single coil soundhole PU with a 4.5kh output to my old Eko Ranger. It sounded great.

• Members
10 hours ago, catscurlyear said:

i have experimented with an old strat pickup stuck in the sound hole and that is great it is a low output  6k  and is much brighter and sounds realy nice ,i`m gonna fix it in somehow and attach a vol and tone pots  no batterys required, when i can be bothered to get round to it .

Using an electric pickup in an acoustic guitar can be tricky. They're designed for steel/nickel wound strings and when you use them with typical bronze wound acoustic strings the plain strings tend to be very pronounced. If you go that route, consider some variety of "acoustic/electric" strings like GHS White Bronze. Martin monels would probably work or maybe D'Addario nickel bronze.

• Members
11 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

Using an electric pickup in an acoustic guitar can be tricky. They're designed for steel/nickel wound strings and when you use them with typical bronze wound acoustic strings the plain strings tend to be very pronounced. If you go that route, consider some variety of "acoustic/electric" strings like GHS White Bronze. Martin monels would probably work or maybe D'Addario nickel bronze.

I used a single coil PU with adjustable poles and adjusted their heights to obtain a balanced sound. Works well.

• Members
14 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

Hi deepend,i did wonder about the bronze strings  working with a regular electric guitar pickup ,would it or won`t it ?, but i was suprised at how well the strat pickup did work in that situation, i mean it out performed the pick up that was intended to be put in the soundhole,so the only place that is going is in the bin(trash ).

• Members
1 hour ago, catscurlyear said:

Oh by the way ,it`s nice to put a face to the voice Howard ,nice to meet you .i always wondered if you might have being Roger Waters.... under cover, ha ha ,you do sound like him at times,that is meant as a compliment.

:thu: Of course I'm Roger Waters!!

Haven't a clue who that guy above is.

• Members
7 hours ago, catscurlyear said:

Hi deepend,i did wonder about the bronze strings  working with a regular electric guitar pickup ,would it or won`t it ?, but i was suprised at how well the strat pickup did work in that situation, i mean it out performed the pick up that was intended to be put in the soundhole,so the only place that is going is in the bin(trash ).

The non-ferrous metal used in the wound strings will not be sensed by the magnetic flux field of a typical pick-up. But, all wound strings use a steel core and the p'up will definitely sense that part of the string and put it in the signal chain. The question to ask is if the steel cores are of such a gauge (mass) to be sensed in a balanced fashion with the other strings. If not, some EQ'ing will be needed. But, all wound strings can be manipulated through the chain to bring a pleasing sound. It's only when silk and steel is encountered that the bass strings are un-sensed.