VOM1T 2020

garthman

• Members

Here's a twofer from me. First, a new original called "Love in Amber," inspired by the discovery of two flies preserved in amber in the act of mating for 41 million years. https://nypost.com/2020/04/06/mating-flies-preserved-in-amber-have-been-doing-it-for-41-million-years/ (Photo copyright by the NY Post)

Flies_Amb.jpg.398552ffba4ae028d561c03f48b4934a.jpg

And a new recording of an original I wrote 15 years ago in honor of the Hurricane Katrina volunteers. With the current climate it seemed appropriate again, so here's "The Light of the Morning."

Edited by DeepEnd

• Members

How long will this thread be open? I'm actually working on an original in honor of World Autism Awareness Month and fleshing out the lyrics. I had a bit of a "breakthrough" last night with a melody for the refrain but as always am struggling with making the lyrics too wordy and trite. Also, with everyone being home and under foot I don't have the freedom to just sit and play during the day without causing a ruckus for others or competing with the television in the evening.

Of course, I have a cover of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" on hand but you guys are better than that. ;o)

• Members
9 hours ago, kwakatak said:

How long will this thread be open? I'm actually working on an original in honor of World Autism Awareness Month and fleshing out the lyrics. I had a bit of a "breakthrough" last night with a melody for the refrain but as always am struggling with making the lyrics too wordy and trite.

There's a week and a half left in April and none of us are going anywhere, nor is this thread. I don't recall ever seeing a VOM1T thread closed. You can always bump it to be sure your submission is nominally part of "April." And as garthman pointed out there's always May if necessary. Best of luck with your muse.

• Members
On 4/21/2020 at 1:13 AM, DeepEnd said:

Here's a twofer from me. First, a new original called "Love in Amber," inspired by the discovery of two flies preserved in amber in the act of mating for 41 million years. https://nypost.com/2020/04/06/mating-flies-preserved-in-amber-have-been-doing-it-for-41-million-years/ (Photo copyright by the NY Post)

And a new recording of an original I wrote 15 years ago in honor of the Hurricane Katrina volunteers. With the current climate it seemed appropriate again, so here's "The Light of the Morning."

nic e one Deepend hope your having a wonderful lockdow ha ha ." Love in Amber ",great song and great tune getting a bit bluesy at times i like it, i`ll give the other a listen later.

It`s now later and i listened to the light of the morning ,great lyrics and tune again ,you are a very talented songwriter and you have churned out a good few ,well done Deepend i enjoy listening to your songs.

Edited by catscurlyear

• Members

catscurlyear - Well done. Much better than I could do. Thanks for posting, I was getting lonely. ;)

Thanks for the kind words. "Love in Amber" is supposed to be sort of melancholy folk so I guess it's close to Bluesy. Anyway, I'll take it. ;) I just wish my playing were better.

Edited by DeepEnd

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members
On 4/20/2020 at 5:13 PM, DeepEnd said:

Great songs! I like the ending verse on Light Of The Morning

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
14 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

kwakatak - Beautifully done. Way better than anything I could do. Thanks for posting.

Thanks. That was a long time ago, but I still play it every so often. The top - and tone - on that Larrivee has also darkened considerably. I need to make an updated recording before I get my post Corona haircut.