Cleaning drums

Jose B63

There are products on the market that are specifically designed for cleaning drums and cymbals... 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MN112--musicnomad-premium-drum-and-cymbal-care-system-mn110mn111mn210

Depending on the shells and whether they're satin finished wood they have a wrap on them, something like a wood / furniture polish, a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water, or Windex (stay away from anything with ammonia in it!) can be used to clean them up. I'm a big fan of microfiber cloths for use on instruments (of practically any type) since they can clean and polish without scratching things. 

The vinegar and water mix can be used on your drum heads too, but make sure you dampen a cloth and use that to clean them - never pour the liquids directly on the drums or heads! 

Maybe you can take some before / after cleaning photos of your kit and share them with us? 

Good luck, and welcome to Harmony Central. :welcome:

• Members

If you have plastic heads, most household cleaners won't hurt 'em. Windex will do chrome, Mylar, plastic shell covering, and surprise, cymbals too - gets the dust and some of the green stuff off too. Poly finishes are Windex proof as well.  If you have a high end lacquer finish, follow the manufacturers instructions.

• Members
On 4/19/2020 at 9:17 AM, Phil O'Keefe said:

There are products on the market that are specifically designed for cleaning drums and cymbals... 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MN112--musicnomad-premium-drum-and-cymbal-care-system-mn110mn111mn210

Depending on the shells and whether they're satin finished wood they have a wrap on them, something like a wood / furniture polish, a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water, or Windex (stay away from anything with ammonia in it!) can be used to clean them up. I'm a big fan of microfiber cloths for use on instruments (of practically any type) since they can clean and polish without scratching things. 

The vinegar and water mix can be used on your drum heads too, but make sure you dampen a cloth and use that to clean them - never pour the liquids directly on the drums or heads! 

Maybe you can take some before / after cleaning photos of your kit and share them with us? 

Good luck, and welcome to Harmony Central. :welcome:

I buy em buy the gross.

Actually a 12 pack. Best thing ever invented.

• Members

One thing I hate is cleaning a drum kit.

I will every so often dismantle mine and give it a good cleaning. I have car chrome polish for any oxidation stains on the chrome.

After I'm done I cover my kit was a big sheet.

The Brass:  I used to polish, but you need to be careful if you have writing on the cymbals, or you can take it off. These days I prefer oxidized cymbals, how ever that's what puts the grim on the white of your snare.  My  tom heads are clear. I'll then tune it all back up with the old analog drum dial.

For the most part, I'm so glad I'm a guitar player. I have some Fender Mcguires stuff. That kind of old now.

Cleaners are not that costly, but as soon as they hit the music shops, expect to pay more and get less. Try a department store like Walmart or you fav auto part store.

There's nothing like a bit of repackaging for musicians.

1 hour ago, Mikeo said:

I buy em buy the gross.

Actually a 12 pack. Best thing ever invented.

Before microfiber cloths, I used to use clean cloth baby diapers. 

The microfiber cloths are much better IMHO. 

Oh, and for those times when the kit is just a bit dusty, I recommend two things: a SOFT bristle nylon brush, and Swiffer Dusters. Those Swiffer Dusters are amazing - I use them on all kinds of gear around my studio.

• Members
3 minutes ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

Before microfiber cloths, I used to use clean cloth baby diapers. 

The microfiber cloths are much better IMHO. 

Oh, and for those times when the kit is just a bit dusty, I recommend two things: a SOFT bristle nylon brush, and Swiffer Dusters. Those Swiffer Dusters are amazing - I use them on all kinds of gear around my studio.

That's what I used too.

I have to clean up my little cellar recording place. I brought the electrolux canister down with a dusting brush attachment that goes on the hose. I have some canned air too.

I'll wipes stuff down afterwards.

I live in a 120 year old house. I think I have a world record holder for world biggest dust magnet home. With 2 cats and a dog, they are no help. 

DUST:mad2:

• Members
7 minutes ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

The vacuum is a good idea, but do yourself a favor and try some of those Swiffer Dusters. They're a game-changer. 

We have them too.

I thought they might be too scratchy.

3 minutes ago, Mikeo said:

We have them too.

I thought they might be too scratchy.

Nope. I use them on all kinds of things - mixers (they're great for getting dust in between all the knobs), keyboards, my drum kit and cymbals - even guitars that are sitting out on stands. 

Archived