Sign in to follow this  
Trailrider00

Beginner looking for wisdom

Hey all,

As the title suggests, I am a beginner who is looking to finally learn how to play the guitar in all this quarantine free time. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no knowledge of what would be a good guitar to get. Thanks in advance for your help!

First, welcome to the Forums. :wave: Folks hereabouts generally recommend Yamaha. If I might be so bold, do you have a price range? These days there might not be any music stores open near you and you might have to buy something online or on CraigsList.

• Like 1

Welcome to Harmony Central! :welcome:

Online dealers are probably your best / safest bet for purchasing a guitar at the moment. We can give you several recommendations - Sweetwater, Musician's Friend, Zzounds, AMS, etc. etc.  

In addition to the questions DeepEnd asked you, can you please tell us what kind of music you like? Is there any particular style you'd like to learn how to play? 

Plenty of info and opinions here. I agree good starter is Yamaha. Wisdom? Seems sold out or in short supply these days. 

Yamaha really can't beat them for the price. Try to get at least a solid top.

• Like 1

Agreed a Yamaha in the 300 dollar range is pretty hard to beat. You'll want a case for it too. TKL or SKB are decent. The TKL's are traditional hard shell cases and the SBK are plastic.

Tuner, capo, and some picks and extra strings

If you got a fat stimulus check coming and are itching to spend it, a classic Martin or Gibson might be the way to go. Over and done, except for you next guitar.

The Martin D28 looks and sound expensive, but you'll only do it once. Lifetime warranty too on Martin stuff like the D28. If you ever need work done on it, like a neck rest. Send it in. I had one done at the local luthier  in town that is an authorized Martin service center. Martin sprung for a new Bridge and saddle. My Martin MC 28 plays like a dream now.  The work probably cost more than my Yamaha pick below, and cost me nothing.

This will give a reason to quarantine even after the covid 19 pandemic is long  over. Your social distancing will be driving to open mics. There's no pick up in them for a reason. Have something professional installed later. I don't believe the come with a front strap button either.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/martin-d-28-standard-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar/k40776000001000

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/martin-hd-28-standard-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar/l40111000003000

Ten years from now you will thank me. They guitar will be worth more used than you paid for it. I know guys that have been through more an a few wive's, countless girl friends and a bunch of cars. Guitars, even the more costly one are pretty inexpensive compared. :D

My pick in a Yamaha

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-fg830-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar/j33498000001000

Taylors are nice, but different animals

Epiphone masterbuilts are nice,. 699 dollar range  AJ-45ME Acoustic-Electric. 

Imported Guilds play well too, also 600 dollar range

If you think you like something with a smaller body, try a 000 Auditorium series.

Most online retailers are not shipping too much right now. I have another Martin come soon. Maybe next week. IDK.

Musicians Friend and Sweetwater are good folks to deal with. I have used em both more than many times