VOX AC30 QUESTION?

• Members

Hi all & hope everyone's well!! My question is can 2 of the 4 EL84's be safely pulled much like I have done on a Fender Twin? Some may say, why not just get an AC15,,, but I've owned many Voxes thru the decades, AC50, AC10-Twin(sigh), and several 30's, & there's nothing like an AC30!! Now all gone, but I'm eyeing one, & was just curious?         

Thanks all!

🕉

• Members

If you've owned several Vox AC30s you should be the one answering questions about them. You're still not sure if you should buy another, yet there's nothing like them, but you sold all several that you've had in the past? Is that about right?

• Members

Not exactly, one day you wake up, & for whatever the crisis, almost everything's gone,,, gets, amps, studio, etc. The AC50 I sold ages ago being too loud. The AC10-Twin was the best amp ever, but at 2K+ nowadays, I'm not going there. I found a late 90's or early 2000's AC30CC1,, a full blown 30, w/ tremolo, adjustable reverb, and other adjustments that would bring down the volume, and I just realized, an input link to blend the 2 channels, one of which has a master. So I might be good.  Just curious about the tube pulling. Thanks.

• Members
On 4/11/2020 at 5:49 PM, ksl said:

Hi all & hope everyone's well!! My question is can 2 of the 4 EL84's be safely pulled much like I have done on a Fender Twin? Some may say, why not just get an AC15,,, but I've owned many Voxes thru the decades, AC50, AC10-Twin(sigh), and several 30's, & there's nothing like an AC30!! Now all gone, but I'm eyeing one, & was just curious?         

Thanks all!

NO. It's a class A amp, not a push pull circuit like the Twin.

Vox amps sound best when they are at the cusp of blowing up.

At 70lbs is not a light amp either.

There are many good choices of Vox like amps that sound better than the real thing.

Jeff Tweedy who is a bit Vintage gear guy, played a Morgan for quite a while. Before that the band was using Dr Z stuff on tours.

I have also seen him with older Vox AC 30's.

I once owned a Mesa Tremeloverb 2x12 combo, it weighed in at 98lbs. At 32 years old I picked it up and loaded in my car. When I sold it I had to have a friend help me.  The AC 30 is in a larger cab than Twin reverb, so it's bulkier to handle.

• Members

I have a Vox VT-30 modeling amp that I paid $50 for second or third hand in perfect working condition.  It is solid state but it has one valve in it a 12AX7 I think.  The modeling electronics simulate all the various Vox amps and a few Fenders and Marshalls as well as some boutique amps nobodies ever heard of.  It can get really loud, but there is a continuously variable control on the back that can cut down the power to a very low level.  Good luck finding something.

• Members
3 hours ago, Jay Jackson said:

I have a Vox VT-30 modeling amp that I paid $50 for second or third hand in perfect working condition.  It is solid state but it has one valve in it a 12AX7 I think.  The modeling electronics simulate all the various Vox amps and a few Fenders and Marshalls as well as some boutique amps nobodies ever heard of.  It can get really loud, but there is a continuously variable control on the back that can cut down the power to a very low level.  Good luck finding something.

I have that amp too.

Mine looks like this.

I have gigged with it.

I liked it enough to buy the foot switch to  the 5 button foot switch .

The thing doesn't weigh much. I like the classic low to medium gain settings.

s-l640.jpg

s-l640.jpg

gowfgbpzrds2yktwhqzg.jpg

• Members
10 minutes ago, Jay Jackson said:

Mikeo

We have the same exact amp, I have the foot pedal as well.  I made a chart for it, that gives the Vox description for each modeled amp, but also identifies the amp (according to other people that have that amp).  It's a Word .doc and I attached it to this post (I hope!).

VT-30 modeled amps.doc 1.48 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks, I downloaded it and I am reading it over.

I got mine wen it first came out. I looked at the 8" speaker one and the 12" speaker one.

The small one was too small, the 12" speaker one was 100 bucks more. This was a nice compromises

I've gigged with it more than a few times.

I'm playing way more acoustic these days, but when I do a gig requiring amps, I like to go light on my arms and back.

• Members
On 4/12/2020 at 6:08 PM, Jay Jackson said:

I like those Vox modelling amps too. I really wanted to get one but none in my price range had a line out and I ended up buying a Roland Cube 80XL.

• Members
6 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

Which one would you recommend? 

I'd get a Fryette Power Station in the OP situation so they can tame the big amps and add additional headroom options for the little ones. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

I'd get a Fryette Power Station in the OP situation so they can tame the big amps and add additional headroom options for the little ones. 

I'd like to get something small and relatively inexpensive for my Marshall Class 5. It sounds great, but even at 5 watts, the sweet spot is pretty loud. There was an inexpensive one (~$50 or so IIRC) that was being sold by some guy in Utah (I don't recall the name of it ATM) but I haven't seen them offered for sale for quite a while. 

• Members
6 minutes ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

I'd like to get something small and relatively inexpensive for my Marshall Class 5. It sounds great, but even at 5 watts, the sweet spot is pretty loud. There was an inexpensive one (~$50 or so IIRC) that was being sold by some guy in Utah (I don't recall the name of it ATM) but I haven't seen them offered for sale for quite a while. 

I have the same Marshall amp, ( mine's the second gen) and it is pretty loud. With no master volume on it , if you want the power section to distort, it's too much.

Since I have been meaning to get a attenuator for like the past decade, but have not. I push my Marshall with a Fulltone Fulldrive. I still want the Marshall sound and this seems to work.

The Dr Z Brake Light and others seem to have weaseled their way up for about 300 bucks.

Ted Weber Micro Mass is $110

https://www.tedweber.com/micromass

The mini mass is a bit  more.

Weber makes very nice stuff IMO

https://www.tedweber.com/minimass

• Thanks 1