Sign in to follow this  
wkendhacker

Ovation? Yay or Nay?

Nay from me, but YMMV. If you get a good one, the sound is passable, but I can’t get used to the round back, and I’ll admit to having a prejudice against plastic on a guitar. 

Posted (edited)

I have no prejudice against any materials, but I've yet to hear an Ovation that sounds great. They play really well though.

Edited by Grant Harding
  • Like 1

I have a copy (a very faithful copy) of an Ovation deep-bowl Balladeer. I've fitted a set of high tension nylon strings and it is one of my most-played guitars. I love the way it plays - many people complain that the bowl back is difficult to handle but I find it "fits" perfectly. I wouldn't want to be without it.

• Like 1

I wanted to like the guitar, bought one, tried real hard to bond with it, sold it, forgot about it.

I have owned several of them over the years. At one point they were one of the best options available for live acoustic guitar use, but IMO they don't usually sound as good as an all-wood guitar (at least not acoustically), and of course lots of guitars have high-quality electronics in them today, so they're less essential for playing live than they once were. They do tend to have nice necks on them, and if the rounded back doesn't bother you, they do play well. I never really minded the round back personally, and I've owned all of the body sizes at one point or another, from deep bowls to super shallow bowl models from their Applause, Ovation and Elite lines. I've never owned an Adamas though.  

the bowl back is problematic...it is a love/hate thing. They are comfortable to play standing up, but I find sitting down awkward. I have an Applause fretless short scale bass, and I actually like the sound acoustically and plugged in [it has an internal microphone, not piezo, no pre-amp, no battery], but I've found on most of the guitar models [and I've tried quite a few since the first one I played in 1972] that the tone was too 'trebly' [compared to most wooden acoustics]...once, on a repair/re-nut, just out of curiosity, I stuck a hand towel inside the upper bout [lower side] and it actually helped tame the treble....acoustically, but made almost no difference plugged in. *

I have another 'plastic backed' acoustic, the Fender Stratocoustic, and it sux acoustically and plugged in...but when I use a TC Body Rez pedal with it, suddenly, it sounds like a real guitar...YMMV. This guitar was bought used, dirt cheap, and I use it in my back yard while I'm barbecuing, it is light and has great action...and handles cold and wet weather well. The 'perfect' campfire guitar...

*I would be interested in trying one with a Body Rez pedal...

I hadn't heard about the Body Rez pedal before now, so I went hunting for a demo (and the price) and they've got a really good demo of it on the Sweetwater page. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BodyRez--tc-electronic-bodyrez-acoustic-pickup-enhancer-pedal

Looks like a cool addition for ~$100. I may just have to grab one of those. IMO it doesn't really do anything to eliminate the dreaded piezo quack in the highs, but it does make the lows and low mids sound more natural IMO. 

I've never been a fan. Forever, when I heard an Ovation up close the low E just sounded like "thud." But a local musician I know played Ovations exclusively until a couple of years ago and his guitars always sounded really good. Maybe tone really is in the fingers?

I had an Ovation 1778 made in New Hartford years ago. Purchased it new and actually loved the tone but couldn't get past the plastic back, could never get a good feel for it. Shortly after purchase I sold or traded it for something else. I wouldn't mind having another though. The nylon strings look interesting. I played a Korean made Glen Campbell model at GC and it was really nice for a sub $800 guitar. My closest jump back into the plastic back guitar world is this 1980s (I beleive) maybe 90s Mitchell SS-F10N, Parlor size made in Korea. Much better than the more recent Mitchells. Maybe because of the size the plastic back really has no effect one way or another. Love the guitar and wouldn't mind trying one of the Ovation Parlors. Anyway, I think Ovation's are great and theres always Adamas at the higher end!

Mitchell SS-F10N Resize.jpg

Mitchell Korea Resize 2.jpg

45 minutes ago, MurkyWaters said:

I had an Ovation 1778 made in New Hartford years ago. Purchased it new and actually loved the tone but couldn't get past the plastic back, could never get a good feel for it. Shortly after purchase I sold or traded it for something else. I wouldn't mind having another though. The nylon strings look interesting. I played a Korean made Glen Campbell model at GC and it was really nice for a sub $800 guitar. My closest jump back into the plastic back guitar world is this 1980s (I beleive) maybe 90s Mitchell SS-F10N, Parlor size made in Korea. Much better than the more recent Mitchells. Maybe because of the size the plastic back really has no effect one way or another. Love the guitar and wouldn't mind trying one of the Ovation Parlors. Anyway, I think Ovation's are great and theres always Adamas at the higher end!

Mitchell SS-F10N Resize.jpg

Mitchell Korea Resize 2.jpg

I love the shape of that guitar.

If you have an ovation, or a bottom heavy guitar..anti slip grip pad.  I use these on a couple heavier guitars.  On an ovation, they’d be a godsend if you’re sitting to play.  Here’s an eBay link if you’re so inclined.  Could probably make one yourself with the right material.  If so inclined.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ovation-guitar-anti-slip-grip-pad-Fabulous-stocking-stuffer-for-musicians/174102507343?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

gallery

Ovation-guitar-anti-slip-grip-pad-Fabulous-stocking-stuffer-for-musicians

I really wanted to like mine.  It was a beautiful Figured Koa Celebrity.  Great neck.  Problem was, I couldn't play it sitting down.  It always wanted to rotate away from me.  I solved the slipping around problem with a no-slip phone mat, but it still wanted to rotate.  Plus, for a deep bowl, the bass was very thin.  Never could warm up to it, so away it went.

IMG_0206.JPG