80s synth arpeggio techniques with midi?

• Members

Is there a way to do the same trick shown in Paolo's excellent video,

with midi? I have mostly newer equipment TR-8, TB-3, MX-1, Gaia, K1, Minibrute  2, Beatstep Pro, Reface DX, Monologue, Volca Kick, Volca FM, Microgranny 2, Mee-Blip Anode. How would I get the rimshot to trigger the arpeggiator this way?  The only other way I can  think  of, besides maybe a midi filter/router, is taking the gate out off one of the drum gates from the Beatstep Pro to the Minibrute 2 arpeggiator. Any ideas or suggestions?  

Thanks,

Chris

• Members

Thanks for the welcome and the responses! I mostly use the Beatstep Pro as a sequencer. I try to use all hardware whenever possible (I guess I try to be old school 😂).  But I do use Ableton live to record and I have a Presonus USB interface that I could send midi out. 

Thanks,

Chris

• Members
48 minutes ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

If you're using Ableton Live, you could always look around for a free VST arpeggiator plugin. :) And of course you can lock your Beatstep Pro to the clock coming from one of your other devices, or vise versa. 

But how would you do that similar rimshot pulse effect with just a newer drum machine to a keyboard with arpeggiator via midi? Clock sync is just the timing right?  It's not sending any notes or pattern right?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
On 4/8/2020 at 8:13 PM, SynthesizedChris said:

But how would you do that similar rimshot pulse effect with just a newer drum machine to a keyboard with arpeggiator via midi? Clock sync is just the timing right?  It's not sending any notes or pattern right?

You can do both but in both old and new cases, you sync the drum machine and move your fingers on the bass line to make it change notes

• Members
25 minutes ago, Paolo Di Nicolantonio said:

You can do both but in both old and new cases, you sync the drum machine and move your fingers on the bass line to make it change notes

With midi, how do you get an arpeggiator to follow just the the rimshot of ty he drum machine?  Won't it trigger with anything played on the drum machine?

• Members
6 minutes ago, Paolo Di Nicolantonio said:

I meant you can program the drum machine to send out MIDI notes that can play the notes on the synth...

I'll have to dive into the settings of the TR-8. I also picked up an UNO Drum on sale. I also picked up a used MOTU Micro Express midi router that can take a click audio and covert it to MIDI clock. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I bought an MPC One, my plan is to use its sequencing capabilities to do just this kind of stuff without the use of a computer. Combined with its sampling capabilities its quite powerful. But the learning curve is rather steep. Thank god for YouTube tutorials. Next week they are releasing a new update that adds some improved midi capabilities.

• Members
1 hour ago, kbeaumont said:

I bought an MPC One, my plan is to use its sequencing capabilities to do just this kind of stuff without the use of a computer. Combined with its sampling capabilities its quite powerful. But the learning curve is rather steep. Thank god for YouTube tutorials. Next week they are releasing a new update that adds some improved midi capabilities.

I heard that the MPC one is real good. I just can't get involved in another thing with a steep learning curve, since I have too many that have right now. Lol

Archived