Latest additions to the herd...

badpenguin

• Members

Hey all. A while back I posted about how I bought  quite a few guitars for flipping. Well, the social distancing thing has been a boon to feebay, and I sold all of the guitars! For a little profit too I might add. So, what did I do with the profit you might ask? Guess......

GEDC1117.thumb.JPG.b2b6a0e74eb992afa3312a42807b331a.JPG

2015 Epiphone Paul Custom Pro. Walked into the pawn shop, searching for something totally different, and saw this hiding behind an amp. Covered in dried jelly and crap, rusty strings, you know the drill. After a little haggling, took it home for 150! Has the Burstbucker Pros, that the SG I got had them and hated, in the Paul, they fit well! Really enjoy the tone and options with the singles and phase switching. Plays about 95% as well as my 81 Gibson Custom Silverburst that I had to sell a while back.

1973 or so Electra 2257. Come on, how can one say no to a Lawsuit, birdseye maple Paul made by Uncle Matt? Yeah, it's a bolt on, but come on.... mini hums!!!! One of those models that just aren't ever seen. And she plays as well as she looks. The mini hums have a unique sound, a bit more top end then P90's, and more mid then a humbucker. Nice rock guitar.

2017 Ibanez Jem Jr.  Again, inexpensive, and just a killer playing guitar. I fully expected to rip the pickups out, and put something "real" in, but..... no need. Nice tones, especially in the 2 and 4 position.

GEDC1119.thumb.JPG.ebc79647f548c32cc72739979f8dcdae.JPG

2005 Eastwood Rocket. Just look at it. 'Nuff said! Decent sounding pickups, and a nice roundish neck with low action. The Bigsby trem is just icing on the cake.

And the Gretsch Corvette with the new pickguard. looks good from 3 feet away. let this be a lesson all, do NOT try to cut a pickguard when suffering thru allergy season!

• Members

That Electra is a cool guitar even with the bolt-on neck. I have an Electra 220 Omega set-neck model and it is also a really good guitar. The Gretsch Corvette was a cool guitar. What pickups are in yours?Can't tell from the pics.

• Members

Thank you one and all!

Daddy, I think Gibson did do a small run of birdseye maple guitars in 2013, here is a pic I stole from reverb.

2061903569_gibbem.jpg.dfc0a126254236dffe30fad816676bbb.jpg

Gardo, Deep, and 6down, the Gretsch is an incredibly cool guitar, that literally feel into place when putting it back together. Once I got the wiring repaired, and did some creative mounting to the pickups, that involved old pickguard material, crazy glue, bits of leather and screws, and cut the pickguard, it became this little monster! It plays itself. You just think, and boom, on to the next lick/chord! The Pickups are the original Hilo-trons that came with it. Which is both a good thing and a bad thing. Good, cause it's the sound it was meant to have. Bad, since NOTHING else will fit without taking a router to it, and that ain't happening! 

And Deep, the Eastwood is as cool as it looks! Surprisingly nice playing, and the Bigsby actually stays in tune! the only complaint is, you need a strap with it, since it  does not want to sit in your lap.

• Moderators

I have seen the maple caps, and even maple fingerboards on an LP, but not the two together.  I have seen an L6S that way, but not a Lester...I've even seen an Ibanez Lawsuit LP from the 70s [maybe circa '74 or '75] that was 'blond on blond', but never a Gibson. Enjoy that classic Electra!

• Members
7 hours ago, badpenguin said:

And Deep, the Eastwood is as cool as it looks! Surprisingly nice playing, and the Bigsby actually stays in tune! the only complaint is, you need a strap with it, since it  does not want to sit in your lap.

Yeah, it probably wants to sit on a launching pad. 🚀 smiley-wink

On 4/7/2020 at 11:22 AM, badpenguin said:

Yeah, it's a bolt on, but come on.... mini hums!!!!

They are really good for layering with a guitar (like the Epiphone) that has regular full-sized humbuckers; they take up a different frequency range and the combination really sounds great together. Hey, it worked for Scott Gorham and Thin Lizzy, right? 

Nice set of new guitars you have there - congratulations! 

Archived