Volume/Gain Question About Effects Pedals

• Members

I had that last question awhile back about the Zoom G1on pedal and how did I have to run it through a clean setting on my amp.  Well, another forum, a guy said to just run it to the amp using the aux line.  It worked.  But a lot of my patches are low volume.  I noticed a lot of the loaded patches sound fine.  I think I have to have the gain turned up on the modeled amp on the patch (not my real amp).  But there is a gain on things like the tube screamer and other effects.  Should I turn these all up to 100?  Or just the gain on the modeled amp?  Some of you might say just try each one.  That would take forever for all of the patches I created.  Any tips?

• Members

That's what is.mixing me up.  The volume knob on my guitar increases the volume level, of course, but on some patches, nowhere near enough.  I also increase the volume on the amp, but it doesn't go up.  I am thinking because the way it is going from the Zoom pedal to the amp using the aux.  Because I have it connected this way, the pedal controls everything.  What I am trying to do when using the pedal is override the modeling of the amp.

• Members

Ok on the product page it looks to be a headphone / practice device. That means with a standard line to an amp, you're only getting one channel of signal. You might try a standard guitar cable with a stereo plug on one end. Chances are somebody (Monoprice for instance) sells something like this. You can also make one by splitting the hot to the tip and the sleeve. The ground will be just the one connection

In this shot the level control on the orange screen is the one you're looking for. Note, it's already maxed. Use the summing cable.

g1on_topSelect_01.jpg.c102bffc9944da76bd1d8c33517bbb38.jpg

https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/guitar/zoom-g1on-guitar-multi-effects-processor

• Members

Yeah it has an input and output for a regular guitar amp capable.  I am just thinking the modeling of the real amp might clash with the modeling of the effects pedal.  Now, let me ask this.  If I create a totally clean channel on the real amp, what should it have?  Any volume?  Any gain? Any bass? Anything?  Thanks for the serious help.

• Members

https://www.zoom.co.jp/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_G1on

In there it implies headphones or line out. Didn't notice anything about how the levels are set.  The manual does say check the master vol level if it's not loud enough. pedal levels go to 120 so the master probably does as well.

For your clean channel, you might want to start with as much EQ as the thing will allow. What is it 3, 4 bands? Leave those at 12 o'clock for starters. Plug into the amp and see what you got.

You might also want to check for a firmware update. The operating system might be buggy without the update.

Archived