plenty of time to make youtube videos

leftyjay

• Members

Are any of you guys doing facebook or youtube videos, live concerts while you're sitting at home? A bunch of fellow solo acts are doing facebook live concerts. Unfortunately, my phone isn't good  enough to make decent videos. I do have a nice Canon XA10 pro-consumer video camera with XLR inputs. The direct audio comes out nice. I've been padding my youtube channel with 3-4 songs a day. I monetized my channel a few years ago and have a few viral videos that are getting me a few extra bucks into my bank account per month.

i dont usually get to set up my gear in my studio during the busy season, but the quarantine has given me plenty of time to throw songs up on youtube. it makes for easy videos without re-setting everything each time i set up my stuff. Also keeping my licks and voice. It can be very easy to sit the stuff down and not play at all during this, but it keeps my mind off sitting at home and watching tv.

the videos give my clients an idea of what i sound like when i gig. it definitely helped me get work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/leftyjaysmith/videos

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I was getting a lot of work done on backing tracks for our husband/wife duo and this {censored} allowed me to step it up a bit even though I continue working full time. Anyway I was really going at it and decided to do the Digital Performer 10 upgrade. As bad fortune would have it literally minutes after downloading the new DP version I sat down to do some more work and discovered my 828x interface to be dead.

I got the thing sent in and am still waiting on my replacement but hopefully when it returns we'll try to do a video/FB feed using some of the backing tracks I've created, it will be interesting to hear the play back.

• Members

one thing i found....when i playing my sequences at home for the videos, i had to tweak the instrument volumes because of the lack of crowd noise. the songs sounded fine at the gigs because i raised the volume on the snare, piano, strings, brass, etc. those sounds tend to get lost in the mix during a live situation. but when i'm sitting home doing videos, all those instrument had to be lowered. luckily, my songs are not pre-recorded like an mp3. you cant tweak those. my Yamaha MOXF6 keyboard has 16 tracks and 8 knobs that you can assign. i set them up to adjust volume of each track on the fly. great for gigging because i can adjust for any situation (room size, crowd size). so i tweak the tracks and when they sound mixed fairly well, i can save it into memory.

i dont use software because the keyboard is really great as a stand alone music workstation. no mouse needed for tweaking. no sets needed. i can play any of my songs any time, plus have 2-3 different scenes of the song that i can tweak on the fly. if i decided to lengthen the song, i've got 2 choices how i want to do it. longer lead solo section, or adding a turn around so i can do another verse, chorus before i end the song. but all that is done at home before i get to the gigs. i love this option for reading the crowd reaction. that is another thing you cant do with pre-recorded music like mp3s. plus the sounds in this keyboard is very good. its been the best investment of my 30+ years as a solo act.

in the meantime, i'm adding about 12-15 videos a week onto my youtube channel. i have over 800 songs, so i doubt i'll run out. on my facebook page, i opened up a paypal.me virtual tip jar that gets a decent amount of tips. i have quite a few generous friends that always came to my gigs. they are so happy i'm still making videos  so they can get their fix during this lockdown.

its keeping me busy at home by myself for 14-16 days straight. i only go out for groceries every 2 weeks. stay safe

• Members

It's primarily a hobby for my wife and I and the time to do it is limited but I do like to use some nice gear. I just received notice that my interface replacement has been shipped. I continue to use Digital Performer 9, bought the 10 upgrade but have yet to install. The interface is MOTU 828x that I switched to from 828mk3 in early 2018 when I decided to start using my MBP with the thunderbolt ports. This will be a new thing for our duo and the additional haul amounts to a 4 space rack, Akai LPK25 and the MBP. The LPK25 is simply used as a controller device and I've been looking for a footswitch, or maybe even a USB mixer type, device with similar connectivity/function. I may take advantage of the couple empty rack spaces and put in my Line 6 Relay G90 guitar wireless and/or Antares AVP-1. I'm using my Korg Krome 61 keyboard for midi playback and to play on a few songs. I'd kind of prefer to use my Roland FA-08 but full size is not practical since my wife is already playing a full size Privia PX-3 and I'm primarily playing guitar. We've managed to keep our load fairly light so far and I'd really like to keep from bulking out much more.

Although it's new for our little act I'd used that same basic setup for many years off and on in bands. When I first decided to try using a computer live around the mid 00's, I had a Toshiba laptop with firewire, a Hercules interface and Sonar. This proved to be a real hassle real quick because Windows was so picky about when and where things got plugged in I wasted valuable setup time messing with the computer. Sonar was not a particularly good live app either.

Soon after, as a long time subscriber to Keyboard, I was inspired by a series of articles about sequencing for large tours so I switched over to Mac's and Digital Performer and have found that to be a solid performance combo spanning a number of computer/software/interface updates. The system allows me to play top quality pre-recorded audio as well as midi for the keyboard and control of other devices. 

• Members
On 4/21/2020 at 3:38 PM, Bob Dey said:

If I force a smile it will look contrived. I probably should have practiced the piece more before making the video.

Some seriously nice fingerpickin' there!

My wife and I did a live facebook concert last friday from our porch but the on-line sound was not good. We discovered we'd overdriven the mic in her Macbook pro when we viewed the video later.

• Members
8 hours ago, daddymack said:

yeah, that can happen, and it's not like you can have a sound/video crew...

As of today the video reports having 522 views although I'm sure most of those are drive bys, it's over two hours long and I really doubt that anyone sat and watched the whole thing, I sure didn't! It's not completely unlistenable, just annoying with the tiny mic crappy overdriven sound. If we do it again I'll pay a little closer attention to placement and level.

• Members

It occurs to me watching these videos that music is a young person's game. I prefer to do my videos neck down and keeping with the current trends in teleconferencing have an engaging back drop. I also tend to shy away from posting covers because of the whole music policy thing. I know that there are a lot of people in the YouTube Partnership program who have dubious talent but their music policy baffles me with how it attempts to skirt copyright law.

• Members

Its a thing called 3rd party copyright. Because I performed all the music to their tune, I can actually get 1/3 of the benefit. They get 2/3. as long as I don't use their actual recorded song, it is possible to do covers. But I also have dozens of originals mixed in.

If you do make a video of somebody else's song and post it on youtube, you will likely get an email saying you are using copyrighted music, and they have the right to either take down the video, or add advertisement to your video so they can make money on it. you can then agree to 3rd party copyright usage and get a chunk of the pie if you are monetized.

• Members
31 minutes ago, leftyjay said:

Its a thing called 3rd party copyright. Because I performed all the music to their tune, I can actually get 1/3 of the benefit. They get 2/3. as long as I don't use their actual recorded song, it is possible to do covers. But I also have dozens of originals mixed in.

If you do make a video of somebody else's song and post it on youtube, you will likely get an email saying you are using copyrighted music, and they have the right to either take down the video, or add advertisement to your video so they can make money on it. you can then agree to 3rd party copyright usage and get a chunk of the pie if you are monetized.

What if you're not monetized though? My channel is not even close to the requirements.

• Members

then the copyright owner can still put ads on your video, or you can take it down so they cant use your video to make money. I originally put videos on youtube to show how i sound to future venue owners. i wasn't expecting to get any money out of it. but, as subscribers increased, and i got a viral video, i decided to monetize the channel.

if you are happy with letting the copyright owner stick ads to your video, then you should have no worries. you'll more than likely get an email like this....

Dear Jay Smith,

Your video " Just The Way You Are cover by Jay Smith", may have content that is owned or licensed by LatinAutor, BMG Rights Management (US), LLC, LatinAutor - UMPG, UNIAO BRASILEIRA DE EDITORAS DE MUSICA - UBEM, Warner Chappell, Sony ATV Publishing, UMPG Publishing, and PEDL, but it’s still available on YouTube! In some cases, ads may appear next to it.

If this is your performance of a 3rd party song then you can still make money from this video. Click here to change your monetization settings.

This claim is not penalizing your account status. Visit your Copyright Notice Page for more details on the policy applied to your video.

- The YouTube Team

• 4 months later...
  • Members

just got informed that my version of Sultans just passed the 4 million views mark on youtube. never ever thought that any of my videos would do more than 1000-2000 views, but for some reason, this video took off. it is extremely popular outside the USA. Brazil is the main fan base. the comments say I'm known as lefty Bill Gates LOL

of all videos, it took a 6 minute video that i learned 2 weeks prior to the video. i made my own backing track, learned the guitar parts (close enough), and learned all the words. Decided to put a camera in front of me and force myself to play it as good as possible. nothing helps more than putting yourself under pressure.

Archived