What are you working on? Are you confined?

Misha

• Members

I think I woke up in the wrong dimension a couple of weeks ago. I still haven’t woke up... 😑

I go to work because what I do is considered as an essential service.

When I come back home, I’m confined. I go out only for essential needs like they ask us.

What would I do if I did not have music? OMG it would be so boring!

What are you practicing in these weird, very weird times?

Right now, I’m trying to learn The Joke from Brandy Carlile. The barre chords sound bad for now... My fingers need practice, my voice too. The first sentence phrase of the song is far from perfect.

Peace! Be safe and healthy!

2nd day of practice late at night:

The Joke23h44 5 avril.mp3

The Joke6 avril 04h16.mp3

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Very nice.  I like the song - it sounds very dark, which I like.  And I like your voice.

I have been playing off and on through the days.  I learned a few tunes and am having fun rediscovering some old ones.

Keep playing and don't touch your face if you touch anything outside.

• Members
2 hours ago, Nabisco said:

Very nice.  I like the song - it sounds very dark, which I like.  And I like your voice.

I have been playing off and on through the days.  I learned a few tunes and am having fun rediscovering some old ones.

Keep playing and don't touch your face if you touch anything outside.

HI Nabisco!

Hopefully, I won't touch my face after I touch something outside! I'm coming back to work progressively after 2 surgeries and a septicemy. I'm a bit worried. I feel better but I don't like to be exposed. I hope they will let us work from home soon. At least, we are only 3 at the time in the department. Sonetimes, 3 in all the office. (But 6 when we arrive during shift change.) I have a letter to show to police officers if there is a barrage on the road on my way to work saying I'm an essential worker. My work has to do with telecoms and the national electricity distribution network. I'm not in contact with the public directly, only by phone or Internet. Also, the clean and disinfect the office much, much, much more often! 

Glad you have time to play, learn new songs and work on the ones you alredy know! Some people, particulatly the oldest in the society, must be very lonely these days. 

I will try to work on the rhythm of the song from Brandi Carlile, get the first phrase better and practice a way to render the chorus. I'm also learning to play Stay from Lisa Loeb.

Have a good day!

Edit: 

Video of Brandi Carlile live: (what a voice!)

• Members

I've taken back the room that used to be my home office and have my 3 playable acoustics and ukulele there for easy access. The other night while my wife was getting ready for bed I decided to play my first build and set upon a rendition of Gnarles Barkley's "Crazy" - but got a little too into it. About halfway through I turned to see my wife with her iPhone in hand with the flash lit and I stopped in my tracks. She laughed, ran away and texted it to her friends. I was told later that my reaction was "funny." No comments on how my playing was. Next time I'm closing the f***ing door. 

In all seriousness, that song is probably one I need to drop from my repertoire anyway.

I still have all my analog recording gear but upgrading cables and adapters so that I can interface them with my iPhone or laptop. Last year I got a looper pedal and I need to practice with it more. The goal is to record something that's in my wheelhouse ("Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd.) 

BTW, about ten years ago I recorded some tracks with several of Tim McKnight's guitars. He'd asked me to do it so that he could use it for marketing. I was humbled but I wasn't satisfied with the quality of my playing and quite frankly didn't have the finances to give away music pro bono. Well, that was 10 years ago and things have changed. I think I'd like to give it another try. I need to practice though; I've gotten rusty with regards to playing solo instrumentals and making up originals.

• Members

Well, Mrs. DeepEnd sometimes says I should be confined if that counts. ;) Seriously, I'm fortunate (?) enough to have an "essential" job so I get out of the house like normal. I've been playing and there's an original kicking around in my head at the moment so I'll (maybe?) be working on that. I also have a backlog of reading I should get to so it's not like I'm hurting for something to keep occupied. But if I couldn't get out I'd probably go stir crazy.

And Misha, that was a lovely rendition. Keep working on it.

• Members
2 hours ago, kwakatak said:

I've taken back the room that used to be my home office and have my 3 playable acoustics and ukulele there for easy access. The other night while my wife was getting ready for bed I decided to play my first build and set upon a rendition of Gnarles Barkley's "Crazy" - but got a little too into it. About halfway through I turned to see my wife with her iPhone in hand with the flash lit and I stopped in my tracks. She laughed, ran away and texted it to her friends. I was told later that my reaction was "funny." No comments on how my playing was. Next time I'm closing the f***ing door. 

In all seriousness, that song is probably one I need to drop from my repertoire anyway.

I still have all my analog recording gear but upgrading cables and adapters so that I can interface them with my iPhone or laptop. Last year I got a looper pedal and I need to practice with it more. The goal is to record something that's in my wheelhouse ("Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd.) 

BTW, about ten years ago I recorded some tracks with several of Tim McKnight's guitars. He'd asked me to do it so that he could use it for marketing. I was humbled but I wasn't satisfied with the quality of my playing and quite frankly didn't have the finances to give away music pro bono. Well, that was 10 years ago and things have changed. I think I'd like to give it another try. I need to practice though; I've gotten rusty with regards to playing solo instrumentals and making up originals.

Hey Kwak! Nice to see you! 

I would like to watch that video that your wife filmed! I haven't forgotten how good you are at playing and singing! I'M sure it was a nice video! (I hope your wife see this post and send us the link!! 😉   )

Post some recordings of you! We all like them! And keep in touch!! 

À plus, Kwak!! 🙂

• Members
1 hour ago, DeepEnd said:

Well, Mrs. DeepEnd sometimes says I should be confined if that counts. ;) Seriously, I'm fortunate (?) enough to have an "essential" job so I get out of the house like normal. I've been playing and there's an original kicking around in my head at the moment so I'll (maybe?) be working on that. I also have a backlog of reading I should get to so it's not like I'm hurting for something to keep occupied. But if I couldn't get out I'd probably go stir crazy.

And Misha, that was a lovely rendition. Keep working on it.

Hey DeepEnd, in one way, I'm glad you still have a job but on the other side, I hope you are not exposed daily to the freaking virus (like doctors, nurses, pharmacists, grocery workers, etc.) !!?!? I understand Mrs. DeepEnd. She must be worried! My parents are worried about us, particularly my sister who work in a grocery that belongs to my cousin.

I don't think the confinement will end in 3-4 weeks like they say. Pretty sure it might go for a couple more weeks if not months like this!

Where I live there is a huge field (terrain). The snow is not completely gone but it won't be long! I can at least go out and get fresh air.

Post your recordings when you can! It's fun to listen to what people are doing! 

And thank's for your encouragement to keep learning the song I'm working on. When it will get better, I will try to record it with better quality.

Stay safe !!

• Members
1 minute ago, Misha said:

. . . I understand Mrs. DeepEnd. She must be worried! . . .

Sorry, that was an attempt at humor. I meant Mrs. DeepEnd thinks I should be confined to a mental institution. (She doesn't, that's just a joke.) We're both more frustrated than worried. I have minimal human contact and the place I work has made masks, wipes, disinfectant, etc. available. I'm more likely to be in a car wreck than to contract coronavirus.

• Members
1 minute ago, DeepEnd said:

Sorry, that was an attempt at humor. I meant Mrs. DeepEnd thinks I should be confined to a mental institution. (She doesn't, that's just a joke.) We're both more frustrated than worried. I have minimal human contact and the place I work has made masks, wipes, disinfectant, etc. available. I'm more likely to be in a car wreck than to contract coronavirus.

LOL I thought she meant your employer should let you work from home or something like that! 😉

• Members
2 minutes ago, Misha said:

LOL I thought she meant your employer should let you work from home or something like that! 😉

Unfortunately, I can't work from home. She's being forced to do the "work from home" thing, even though she'd be the only one in the building if she went to work.

• Members
31 minutes ago, DeepEnd said:

Unfortunately, I can't work from home. She's being forced to do the "work from home" thing, even though she'd be the only one in the building if she went to work.

Oh! I see!

For a change, I think tonight I will try to find a nice bowl for my next haircut! 😉

• Members

Still can't get that Gm fine...

I can't get that tremolo in my voice leave me alone tonight!! 

Well, still working on it!

This time, I recorded the guitar with my THR5A and my Taylor 324-CE, Audacity and an AT-2020 for the voice.

• Members

Hello Misha

Yes, very weird times indeed.

I am old enough (and lucky enough) to be retired so to some extent it is life as normal. I have a garden of reasonable size and that keeps me quite busy - especially at this time of year with vegetable beds to prepare, seeds to sow, etc, etc.. I also live in a rural area and there are many footpaths in our very pleasant countryside for enjoyable walking. 

The things I miss most are the weekly rehearsals of our choir and weekly performances in both local open mic and folk club. But, on the bright side, our "social distancing" regime will give me chance to learn some new songs.

• Members
22 hours ago, Misha said:

Still can't get that Gm fine...

Not sure if this will help but here's a lazy way of playing a Gm. Lay your ring finger across the first three strings at the third fret, like a Dmaj7 moved up one fret, then reach with your middle finger and fret the sixth string at the third fret while touching the fifth string to mute it. Strum and voilà you've got a Gm.

X

• Members
On 4/5/2020 at 6:21 PM, Misha said:

Hey Kwak! Nice to see you! 

I would like to watch that video that your wife filmed! I haven't forgotten how good you are at playing and singing! I'M sure it was a nice video! (I hope your wife see this post and send us the link!! 😉   )

Post some recordings of you! We all like them! And keep in touch!! 

À plus, Kwak!! 🙂

I'll be sure to!

The last little adapter came today. Now I need to do a sound/video check. 

BTW, I haven't seen that video - nor do I want to. Whenever I record myself I can't stand watching. I'd rather just play, but OTOH I miss jamming with others.

• Members
On 4/6/2020 at 12:52 PM, garthman said:

Hello Misha

Yes, very weird times indeed.

I am old enough (and lucky enough) to be retired so to some extent it is life as normal. I have a garden of reasonable size and that keeps me quite busy - especially at this time of year with vegetable beds to prepare, seeds to sow, etc, etc.. I also live in a rural area and there are many footpaths in our very pleasant countryside for enjoyable walking. 

The things I miss most are the weekly rehearsals of our choir and weekly performances in both local open mic and folk club. But, on the bright side, our "social distancing" regime will give me chance to learn some new songs.

A garden! I would love to have one! I love looking at pictures of english gardens too. When I retire, I hope I have a small house... with a big garden!! Have a good evening (well it's 9:06 pm here.)

• Members
23 hours ago, kwakatak said:

I'll be sure to!

The last little adapter came today. Now I need to do a sound/video check. 

BTW, I haven't seen that video - nor do I want to. Whenever I record myself I can't stand watching. I'd rather just play, but OTOH I miss jamming with others.

I don't like to be filmed either. I really hate to see myself. I understand you. But please, since you play so well, let us see both of your hands on the guitar so we can learn a bit of what you are doing or at least, let us hear what your recordings! 😉 

• Members
14 hours ago, Misha said:

I don't like to be filmed either. I really hate to see myself. I understand you. But please, since you play so well, let us see both of your hands on the guitar so we can learn a bit of what you are doing or at least, let us hear what your recordings! 😉 

I'll definitely do that, but part of my problem is that I still need to address my wardrobe - and wear something that's not so "snug!"

• Members

Man, that's some hot stuff. I don't do spicy at all. Has to be pretty close to bland. I think it's a condition I have that food is always bordering on the edge of gross to me. I have to be real hungry these days to push me to eat. Didn't use to be that way.

• Members
2 hours ago, Idunno said:

. . . I think it's a condition I have that food is always bordering on the edge of gross to me. I have to be real hungry these days to push me to eat. Didn't use to be that way.

If we ever get to the point where we can see doctors for non-emergencies again, I'd have that looked into. Food aversion is a recognized eating disorder. https://www.recoveryranch.com/addiction-blog/the-difference-between-food-aversion-and-anorexia/

• Members
On 4/6/2020 at 8:11 PM, DeepEnd said:

Not sure if this will help but here's a lazy way of playing a Gm. Lay your ring finger across the first three strings at the third fret, like a Dmaj7 moved up one fret, then reach with your middle finger and fret the sixth string at the third fret while touching the fifth string to mute it. Strum and voilà you've got a Gm.

X

I had this one too: 

beginner-G-minor-guitar-chord.jpg

• Members
8 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

Making hot sauce with habanero and rocoto peppers from the garden. So hot, but tasty. 😎

20200404_154256.jpg

It looks good and it makes me hungry! (I just got home from work!) 🙂

Archived