Fudge! Am I drunk? Larrivee OM-03 trussrod: stolen !?!

Misha

• Members
14 hours ago, Misha said:

Hi Kwak!

I got it brand new a couple years ago but the music shop closed. They went bankrupt. I think there was a weird tool like this with it. I used to keep in a drawer. Then I moved and packed it. I think it's still in a box somewhere in my locker, I will need to take a look if I don't want to pay for another. I would prefer paying for a bone nut and a bone saddle instead of paying 30 - 40 dollars for it but I can't get it done by a luthier right now. The luthier would probably risk a fine for opening his business. 

Just go with the saddle from guitarsaddles.com for now. Installing a new nut and slotting it requires expensive tools and is not for the average person. I had Tim McKnight put a bone nut on my OM-03R and even though I'm a big fan of Tim's work and amazed at how methodical he is, honestly it didn't change the tone that much. Installing a saddle on the other hand simply requires a piece of sandpaper, a steady hand and a strong tolerance to the smell of bone being sanded. I kept thinking about mafia movies for some reason whenever I'd put a new bone saddle in my guitars!

Let me think on an alternative. I wonder if the short end of your typical allen wrench can fit inside there? IIRC the reason why the tool is designed that way is so that you don't have to reach inside the guitar. If your arm is small enough, you have a small mirror you could lay inside to see what you're doing and you have a decent range of motion in your wrist you may be able to "fenangle" it.

I would definitely check your relief by putting a capo on the first fret and holding each string at the 14th fret and listen for any buzzing indicating any pootential problems. I'm still not an expert at this so I'd refer you to Frank Ford's site for the following article:

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Setup/BuzzDiagnosis/Relief/relief.html

• Members
10 hours ago, kwakatak said:

Just go with the saddle from guitarsaddles.com for now. Installing a new nut and slotting it requires expensive tools and is not for the average person. I had Tim McKnight put a bone nut on my OM-03R and even though I'm a big fan of Tim's work and amazed at how methodical he is, honestly it didn't change the tone that much. Installing a saddle on the other hand simply requires a piece of sandpaper, a steady hand and a strong tolerance to the smell of bone being sanded. I kept thinking about mafia movies for some reason whenever I'd put a new bone saddle in my guitars!

Let me think on an alternative. I wonder if the short end of your typical allen wrench can fit inside there? IIRC the reason why the tool is designed that way is so that you don't have to reach inside the guitar. If your arm is small enough, you have a small mirror you could lay inside to see what you're doing and you have a decent range of motion in your wrist you may be able to "fenangle" it.

I would definitely check your relief by putting a capo on the first fret and holding each string at the 14th fret and listen for any buzzing indicating any pootential problems. I'm still not an expert at this so I'd refer you to Frank Ford's site for the following article:

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Setup/BuzzDiagnosis/Relief/relief.html

Thank's Kwak! A lot of very useful information here! I have my Taylor to use but my OM-03 sounds good and I want ti use it. Also, it's small and confortable!

I'm not sure I would feel good smelling bone while sanding it. Maybe I would prefer to sand ... tusk!!

• Members

Sanding bone is a bit gross, but it sounds better to me than tusq. Tusq is really bright and consistent, but I find it sounds a bit brittle and not warm like most bone. 

Bone is inconsistent though. I've had 3 now (out of many) that have really lacked treble and wore out fast. 

• Members
5 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

Sanding bone is a bit gross, but it sounds better to me than tusq. Tusq is really bright and consistent, but I find it sounds a bit brittle and not warm like most bone. 

Bone is inconsistent though. I've had 3 now (out of many) that have really lacked treble and wore out fast. 

I guess there are different quality of bones. Some must be harder than others too!
I would definitely prefer not to sand bones! Like you said, it’s gross!

• Members
On 4/10/2020 at 12:51 AM, Misha said:

I guess there are different quality of bones. Some must be harder than others too!
I would definitely prefer not to sand bones! Like you said, it’s gross!

Maybe it's my sinuses but when I lowered a premade bone saddle for my Alvarez beater I wasn't bothered by the smell at all. TUSQ is supposed to be a substitute for ivory, not bone. I would suggest buying two if possible so that if you get the first one too low you can avoid the mistake with the second and not resort to a shim.

• Members
On 4/11/2020 at 5:16 PM, DeepEnd said:

Maybe it's my sinuses but when I lowered a premade bone saddle for my Alvarez beater I wasn't bothered by the smell at all. TUSQ is supposed to be a substitute for ivory, not bone. I would suggest buying two if possible so that if you get the first one too low you can avoid the mistake with the second and not resort to a shim.

Very good idea!! Thank’s for the suggestion!! 

Archived