ksl

Simple Cause & Solution??

Without opening up my pickguard, here's the beef: Bridge>SD Little 59/78, Middle> SD RW/RP SSL2, Neck>SD SSL2,,, Don't remember having the problem before but I'm suddenly getting hum in my #4 position (neck w/rwrp middle),, previously I was getting hum only in 3 & 5, which is normal,,,, Is it likely that knocked some ground loose on the middle p/u?  Wouldn't I get no sound if I did? I did very recently swapped the 59 for the 78, so my suspicion is the obvious loose wire theory!!?? Be safe all!!

20200329_014550.jpg

Posted (edited)

Yeah, dat ampz a killah~~ AC20 DELUXE 

Edited by ksl

1k1gear is right though...unbutton that beast and check the wiring at the switch.you may have a 'hair jumper', it doesn't take much to dump a hum on ya.

Man, I checked everything, including things I know it would never be...Heres a pic,,, fwiw, the tone pot is hooked up only to the bridge,,, the volume pot is well grounded to the pickguard, and the output jack is fine,, neck & middle p/u's each have the whites to the switch & blacks to ground.... The switch is selecting the pups correctly,,,, it's that darn #4 position that has suddenly reared it noisy head.... Could the switch be faulty even though it's switching properly?  Thnx all~~

20200402_013605.jpg

On 4/2/2020 at 1:00 AM, ksl said:

. Could the switch be faulty even though it's switching properly?

20 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

Soldering issue probably.

NOPE, NOPE, NOPE....

On 4/1/2020 at 10:43 PM, ksl said:

I did very recently swapped the 59 for the 78, so my suspicion is the obvious loose wire theory!!??

That's  your big clue...you replaced a single coil pickup with a humbucker. The '59 is a humbucker and is already "hum cancelling" on it's own, so you are left the single coil hum from the middle pickup, no matter how it's wound or magnetized. Any "SSH" type guitar can hum when a single coil pickup is switched on. Since most people use the #5 position than the #4, it's not a big deal for most users. Live with the hum or swap out your other pickups for humbuckers or other 'noiseless' pickups. Your guitar wiring is most likely correct as is the switch. 

It's possible, with a 4 pole 'super switch', to have the number 4 position be the middle pickup, and the bridge '59 with only one of the '59s coils engaged, so that the bridge and middle pickups would again be hum kinda-sorta cancelling. 

But it's the front two. Wait. maybe you're right. If the bridge is connected wrong, one coil could leak into the front two.

Posted (edited)

MR GRUMPY,,,No,,,All I did was swap my old Little 59 for the Little 78,,, same wiring, same position,, my neck & middle never had hum in #4,, middle is rwrp,,,,I did take out the neck SC & tried an old early 70's Strat pup, I lost the hum but they were out of phase, so I reversed neck wires & got the hum. For now, I left it as is,,, it's nice pup & dcrew the hum.  I'm just baffled by this phenomenon after simply changing only the Little bridge pup. I'm going to put the original Lil 59 back in just to hunt down this gremlin!!  Thank you all for all your expertise, which I lack in the broader sense, but I'm good with the intermediate level stuff~~      Will advise!!

Edited by ksl