What do I need to buy??

• Members

Hello,

My band is getting ready to play out. We are an original band, 4 piece, and we want to be as prepared as possible... we will have our entire set planned out on a computer, which we will play along with (reaper). We are trying to get in-ear monitors for everyone, but I'm confused as to how we can set everything up ourselves.

Do we need to have our own mixer and mics, mic everything up, then give the house a stereo out? or do we let the house do everything, then they give us the mix to pump out to each player? We would like to have everything ourselves if possible, that way we aren't ever dependent on the venue.

Any help?? thanks guys!!

Trent

• Members

Best way to do it is to carry all your mics and stands, mic everything, run that into a small monitor board with a split to the house. Mix wiz 16:2 or 12M are pretty much perfect, they have a built-in splitter so you can just carry a 16ch patch snake, and patch your monitor board into the main snake. With a different board you'd need a series of rackmountable mic splitters and more patch snakes.

That or you can just inform the venue(s) before hand that you're running an IEM rig, and would like your ear mixes done on the house console. Chances are though that the house console only has one or two free mixes for your ears, if that, so you'll have to live with whatever they can give you. Be sure to call and talk to them first, though. Don't show up with any surprises.

• Members

IME in-ears work when you are a self contained band with your own PA, doing your own thing. They (in-ears) are harder to use when you are just walking into a club and expecting the tech to just "plug them in".

Yes you will need your own in-ear monitor rig, yes you will need to mic or monitor just about everything, yes you will need an efficient way to get all that info to the house engineer. Like the movie my wife wanted to see... it's complicated.

If you are just getting ready to play out, then I would suggest you first get used to monitors, gain some experience, and then consider in-ears.

A sad fact about the world we are in today is that the computer, and all the related software, can lead us to believe that live sound works the same way as a cool iPhone app. Yes you can use a computer/computer based equipment in live sound (as you plan to do) but there are physical limitations as to what the digital world can do for you when it comes to gigging. Sometimes hard work, and lots of money are involved - there's no free download for a Meyer rig:(

And now, to the next poster....

EDIT - I see that Mogwix has graciously explained how you could achieve your goals, IMO corroborating my claim that it's not cheap or easy.

• Members

Find somewhere that has an "open mic" night and try everything out first. One thing that I've run into that just drives me crazy is that some laptop power supplies have a tendancy to create a nasty buzz. There are some decent DI's out there that will eliminate it. The one I keep in the kit is a Radial JPC and I've had good luck with it. I think ProCos' is called an IFace. Something to keep in mind is that the JPC is stereo, where the IFace is mono.

• Members

I'll echo the above that if you are just starting out, take some time to learn about PA systems before you start throwing money at in-ears.

If you haven't played out before, you will find yourself playing a variety of original venues with varying degrees of PA and monitors. Some will be good, some will be crap. Be good enough to be able to play your set with sub-standard monitoring.

Most of the house engineers will be dealing with 4-5 bands a night and will probably not react well to a green band who shows up with a bunch of gear they don't know how to use asking to use their in-ear setup.

My advice is to know your material inside out, use the house systems for now and look into your own monitor system down the road.

It's a lot of money to spend when you're just getting started and most likely not generating any income off your shows.

Focus on your songs and the performance first.

Archived