Hunkered down for the duration?

6down1togo

• Members

I'm hunkered down and just sitting and strumming in my music room. Got enough guitars to keep me occupied though!

I'm also building some partscasters to pass the time. Pics of a few below that I mocked up and will proceed assembling shortly. What are you guys doing to keep busy?

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_2189.JPG

• Members

Lovely partscasters. The strat on the left is lovely with the light streaks. What sort of wood is that?

Have a 10 month old at home. She's taking up most of my time when I'm not working from home.  Getting to spend so much time with her at this age certainly is a silver lining to all this. 😁

• Members

Nicer looking partscasters. Another Tele that isn't butt ugly. I approve. 👍 I'm watching a lot of TV when I'm not at work. Playing some, learned "Sweet Caroline" after watching Neal Diamond's "Washing Hands" YouTube vid.

• Members
7 hours ago, mrbrown49 said:

Lovely partscasters. The strat on the left is lovely with the light streaks. What sort of wood is that?

Have a 10 month old at home. She's taking up most of my time when I'm not working from home.  Getting to spend so much time with her at this age certainly is a silver lining to all this. 😁

Yeah, it's a mixed blessing. Certainly bringing families closer and rediscovering activities like board games and lots of together time.

The Strat with the streaks in it is a 3 piece walnut body. Updated picture below is with a neck I hand picked for it, American walnut with a tigerwood fretboard. I gave the body a hand rubbed Danish oil finish and will use a satin lacguer on the neck. Debating about leaving the headstock in plain walnut or veneering with American walnut that has the blond streaks similar to the body.

IMG_2408 (2).JPG

IMG_2402 (2).JPG

• Members

I'll take the thinline tele on the right....  On first bit of scroll down I thought that rack of 15 or so guitars was your "mock ups", then saw the four. haha

You make me sick.... with envy. Hope that cheers you up!

• Members
17 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

Nicer looking partscasters. Another Tele that isn't butt ugly. I approve. 👍 I'm watching a lot of TV when I'm not at work. Playing some, learned "Sweet Caroline" after watching Neal Diamond's "Washing Hands" YouTube vid.

Thanks! The Tele is burl walnut with a Fender walnut neck that I veneered a burl walnut overlay on to match the body. It is ready to assemble now. I'm not crazy about the pickup rings though. I paid through the nose for real ebony and they look like black plastic. Probably going to just go with the gold or silver back-painted Gretsch rings instead.

IMG_2196.JPG

finished veneer2.jpg

Nice guitar projects! :philthumb:

I also want to ask you about that dresser in the first picture. Are those mini-suitcases that can be pulled completely out, or are they drawers designed to look like them? I've never seen anything quite like that before, but I think it looks really cool. :cool2: Did you make that?

• Members
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 4:47 PM, Phil O'Keefe said:

Nice guitar projects! :philthumb:

I also want to ask you about that dresser in the first picture. Are those mini-suitcases that can be pulled completely out, or are they drawers designed to look like them? I've never seen anything quite like that before, but I think it looks really cool. :cool2: Did you make that?

Yeah its a cool piece I found at Home Goods one day in their clearance section. The "box" was painted semi-gloss gray and just didn't look right but I loved the multi-colored "tool box" look which are actually upper drawers and the bottom are door panels that open to an interior with shelves. The "tool boxes" were faux aged but the cabinet was oddly gloss painted and banged up … a bargain. I liked the way the colored "tool-boxes" went with a guitar painting I got a few years back by Sergio Lazo. He does a lot of abstract guitar acylic paintings and I had him paint a "one-off" for me of a Strat and Les Paul in earth tones.

I recently refinished the cabinet after having painted it taupe as pictured. It had no character, so I faux aged it and painted in some simulated knots to look the part.

Lazo Art 

IMG_2521[872] resize.jpg

IMG_1955 resized.jpg

IMG_2522 resized.jpg

Archived