I'm hoping that a real keyboard player can help me out

isaac42

• Moderators

I'm a bass player. Occasionally I add some chords on keys. A band I'm in is thinking about doing Tears for Fears' "Everybody Wants to Rule the World." So far, I can't find a sound on my cheap Yamaha keyboard that sounds like the sound they use in that song.

Any suggestions?

• Members

There's a Reverb article about replicating the sounds from that song. Which Yamaha keyboard model do you have? If it has MIDI, you could possibly hook it up to your computer or a synth module to get sounds that get closer to the song

https://reverb.com/news/the-synth-sounds-of-tears-for-fears-everybody-wants-to-rule-the-world 

On 3/28/2020 at 4:15 PM, Paolo Di Nicolantonio said:

There's a Reverb article about replicating the sounds from that song. Which Yamaha keyboard model do you have? If it has MIDI, you could possibly hook it up to your computer or a synth module to get sounds that get closer to the song

https://reverb.com/news/the-synth-sounds-of-tears-for-fears-everybody-wants-to-rule-the-world 

They say the bass line was a PPG Wave, plus the Prophet 5 for the synth brass sound. 

Thanks for the link!

• Moderators

Thanks for the responses, guys.

The sound I'm looking for starts at 0:44 in this video: 

They keyboard I use most often these days is the Yamaha PSR-510. It doesn't have as many available voices, but it's more versatile in other ways.
I also have a few others, such as the YPT-300 (AKA PSR-E303). More voices, but not as easy to access or switch between them while playing.

Both have the ability to layer 2 voices, though it's easier to do with the PSR-510.

While we're at it, I'm open to suggestions for the bass sound, too.

And I don't expect an exact replication, especially with the limitations of the keyboards I have to work with. Something kinda close will be grand!

• Members
2 hours ago, isaac42 said:

Thanks for the responses, guys.

The sound I'm looking for starts at 0:44 in this video: 

They keyboard I use most often these days is the Yamaha PSR-510. It doesn't have as many available voices, but it's more versatile in other ways.
I also have a few others, such as the YPT-300 (AKA PSR-E303). More voices, but not as easy to access or switch between them while playing.

Both have the ability to layer 2 voices, though it's easier to do with the PSR-510.

While we're at it, I'm open to suggestions for the bass sound, too.

And I don't expect an exact replication, especially with the limitations of the keyboards I have to work with. Something kinda close will be grand!

my guess a layered patch, pad plus plucky piano type sound? midi up your boards if need be...reminds me of a factory piano sound for Mirage sampler plus layered pad

certainly from that era

• Members

I have a YPT-400 (aka PSR-E403) here in my studio, which should be very similar to yours. Keep in mind I did this in ten minutes, if you take some time you can edit the tones further and get much closer to the sounds used in the song, by acting on the filter and envelope parameters, but this should get you in the ballpark. I dialed in a "Dual" patch composed of the following patches:

#161 DX+Analg as primary voice (this means Yamaha DX7 - or similar - plus an analog pad. This sorts of emulates the more digital, "glassy" pad that's layered with the synt brass).

#323 RezSynBr as dual voice (this means "resonant synth brass, meaning it's a Prophet-5 style brass with applied resonance and the filter envelope closes it down to create the "wheoom" effect)

You can turn #323 RezSynBr off during the sung part - as does the song - by turning the "Dual" mode off, and bring the syn brass back for the choruses)

For the synth bass part, I additionally engaged the "Split" feature and selected the following patch:

#048 HiQ Bass (this patch means it's a synth bass with a heavy amount of resonance - aka Q - applied to the filter)

Keep in mind in the original song the synth bass was sequenced, which you can also do if you take the time to program it in the sequencer. For the purpose of this quick demonstration I'm playing everything in real time, as I've been playing keyboards for a long time and for me it's no problem playing these simple parts in real time. If you can't play both parts in real time yet, just sequence the synth bass, like Tears For Fears did.

P.S. if you want to practice the parts with a beat, I selected this pattern:

#016 PopShf 2 in position Main B (this means it's variation B of the Pop Shuffle 2 pattern and it's a quick way to emulate the drum beat of the song)

Finally, this is very optional - but I also turned the velocity-sensitiveness of the keyboard ("Touch") to Off, because the original Prophet synth didn't have velocity, and also because it's easier to play with a consistent volume.

Here you go, in practice, I made a video that shows the components of this setup:

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Paolo Di Nicolantonio said:

I have a YPT-400 (aka PSR-E403) here in my studio, which should be very similar to yours. Keep in mind I did this in ten minutes, if you take some time you can edit the tones further and get much closer to the sounds used in the song, by acting on the filter and envelope parameters, but this should get you in the ballpark. I dialed in a "Dual" patch composed of the following patches:

#161 DX+Analg as primary voice (this means Yamaha DX7 - or similar - plus an analog pad. This sorts of emulates the more digital, "glassy" pad that's layered with the synt brass).

#323 RezSynBr as dual voice (this means "resonant synth brass, meaning it's a Prophet-5 style brass with applied resonance and the filter envelope closes it down to create the "wheoom" effect)

You can turn #323 RezSynBr off during the sung part - as does the song - by turning the "Dual" mode off, and bring the syn brass back for the choruses)

For the synth bass part, I additionally engaged the "Split" feature and selected the following patch:

#048 HiQ Bass (this patch means it's a synth bass with a heavy amount of resonance - aka Q - applied to the filter)

Keep in mind in the original song the synth bass was sequenced, which you can also do if you take the time to program it in the sequencer. For the purpose of this quick demonstration I'm playing everything in real time, as I've been playing keyboards for a long time and for me it's no problem playing these simple parts in real time. If you can't play both parts in real time yet, just sequence the synth bass, like Tears For Fears did.

P.S. if you want to practice the parts with a beat, I selected this pattern:

#016 PopShf 2 in position Main B (this means it's variation B of the Pop Shuffle 2 pattern and it's a quick way to emulate the drum beat of the song)

Finally, this is very optional - but I also turned the velocity-sensitiveness of the keyboard ("Touch") to Off, because the original Prophet synth didn't have velocity, and also because it's easier to play with a consistent volume.

Here you go, in practice, I made a video that shows the components of this setup:

That was awesome, Paolo! Thanks!

• Moderators

Paolo, my YPT-300 has all of those voices. They're in different places, but they're there. None on my PSR-510, unfortunately.  However, you having given me a good starting point, I was able to make a kinda sorta close approximation. So, it looks like I'm good.

Now, I just have to learn to play it and sing it at the same time!

Thanks, all!

• Members
21 hours ago, isaac42 said:

Paolo, my YPT-300 has all of those voices. They're in different places, but they're there. None on my PSR-510, unfortunately.  However, you having given me a good starting point, I was able to make a kinda sorta close approximation. So, it looks like I'm good.

Now, I just have to learn to play it and sing it at the same time!

Thanks, all!

Glad it helped, Isaac!

• Members

I remember Isaac from my days hanging out on the bass player forum, HCBF.  Good times!  Sorry Isaac, no hints on the sound, but you might also look at some VSTi stuff.  with an okay computer, and an audio interface, you can get a LOT of free and cheap instruments, but beware!  There may end up being hundreds of sounds available.

• Moderators
On 4/3/2020 at 6:26 PM, thelurker said:

I remember Isaac from my days hanging out on the bass player forum, HCBF.  Good times!  Sorry Isaac, no hints on the sound, but you might also look at some VSTi stuff.  with an okay computer, and an audio interface, you can get a LOT of free and cheap instruments, but beware!  There may end up being hundreds of sounds available.

Hey, Lurker!

Paolo pretty much got me covered for the sounds I needed. I think I'm good there. One thing I really don't want at this point is to haul around even more gear. I've been trying to cut back, go smaller, lighter, and LESS!

I had a moment of panic yesterday. I got some decent sounds out of my PSR-510, and I've been practicing a little bit. I kept telling myself to write down the settings so that I won't have to start from scratch if we lose power, which happens from time to time, but, procrastinator that I am, I kept not doing it. Well, yesterday, there was a blip in the power, and we heard the sound of a transformer blowing! I dashed to the other room to see if I'd lost my settings. Nope! Whew! But I immediately wrote them down in case of another, longer power loss.

Archived