Acoustic guitars - how cheap is too cheap?

Digital_Idyll

1 hour ago, Voltan said:

right... but several seem to have missed the very first statement in the OP...  dude isnt a beginner...  

:wave:

You may very well be right... I was merely going off of the I'm looking to get back into acoustic guitar and the I'm particularly interested in the BEST ACOUSTIC GUITAR FOR BEGINNERS UNDER $300... parts of the OP's post, which seem to suggest he (or she) is looking for a beginner-type, inexpensive instrument, whether s/he is an actual beginner, or is returning to the instrument after a hiatus of unknown length and with unknown levels of previous experience and capabilities. 

• Members
12 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

BTW, I have a relatively "cheap" guitar incoming - it will probably arrive today. It's a Fender CN-60S nylon string. They sell for $200 new. It's got the narrowest neck of any nylon string guitar I could find, which is the main reason I wanted to try it. It's supposed to have a solid spruce top, and laminated mahogany back and sides. We'll see how it goes. I'll report back once I've had a chance to sterilize the cardboard box, open it up and give it a try. 

Happy (Pending) New Guitar Day. 👍 Let us know what you think when it arrives.

5 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

You may very well be right... I was merely going off of the I'm looking to get back into acoustic guitar and the I'm particularly interested in the BEST ACOUSTIC GUITAR FOR BEGINNERS UNDER $300... parts of the OP's post, which seem to suggest he (or she) is looking for a beginner-type, inexpensive instrument, whether s/he is an actual beginner, or is returning to the instrument after a hiatus of unknown length and with unknown levels of previous experience and capabilities. 

That was my take as well. The OP linked to a page about "beginner guitars," so it's natural that we're talking about those. And if he's getting back into playing, in some respects he is a beginner all over again. We really don't know how long or well he played before he quit, or how long it's been (no offense intended). When I started playing again after a hiatus of several years my skills, which were relatively pathetic in the first place, had deteriorated somewhat. Plus, many if not most guitarists really don't know all that much about guitars. And since an actual "beginner" might come across this thread someday and see the reference to "beginner guitars," it seems reasonable to speak to them as well.

And let's be honest, we don't know if the OP will stick with it this time around either (again, no offense intended). I got back into playing nearly 17 years ago and I've bought four guitars, a bass, and four amps in that time (I got rid of my Strat copy because I could never get it to intonate correctly). I bought a low end Alvarez on eBay (which I really shouldn't have done) and when I realized I wasn't going to quit any time soon I bought something nicer but I could've easily stopped again. If the OP decides he's going to keep at it that will be the time for a "keeper." Until then, "good enough" is good enough.

On 3/30/2020 at 5:21 PM, DeepEnd said:

Happy (Pending) New Guitar Day. 👍 Let us know what you think when it arrives.

It's here now, and finally out of the cardboard box - which I hit rather liberally with bleach and water solution and let sit for a day before opening it up. 

I'll try to post some pics of it late this afternoon or tonight sometime. :)

• Members
4 hours ago, Gibson29 said:

I thought he was asking about the accuracy of the page and whether it was.

I also thought he may have been the owner of the site and was checking if guitar players felt it was useful.

His specific comment was:

On 3/23/2020 at 1:17 PM, Digital_Idyll said:

I'm looking to get back into acoustic guitar and have been checking reviews and reading about guitars in general, trying to wrap my head around what's important and what isn't. I came across this page, which seems like it has a lot of good info about acoustic guitars, but I don't know how much is legit:

https://www.middle8reviews.com/cheap-acoustic-guitars-beginners-reviews/

I'm particularly interested in the BEST ACOUSTIC GUITAR FOR BEGINNERS UNDER $300 section. is a guitar at that price point really any good? It's kinda my price range, so I want to believe but I don't want to waste my money on something that I won't be able to play eiether.

I interpreted that to mean he was wondering if the site's advice could be trusted and if a "beginner" guitar would be worth buying. I won't speak to the first but "beginner" guitars are pretty good these days, miles ahead of what I started on. I don't know if he was the site owner just picking our brains but I hope not.

• Members
12 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

. . . All in all, a nice little nylon string for $199, and certainly it would be more than sufficient for someone to learn on, with the only real drawback being that they'd have to learn how to tune their guitar pretty darned quickly... but that's going to probably hold true for any nylon string, since they tend to go out of tune easier than steel strings do, especially when they're brand-new. 

I need to track down a case that will work for it. 

I'll try to post some pics of it late this afternoon or tonight sometime. :)

Happy New Guitar Day. 👍

• Members
48 minutes ago, DeepEnd said:

I interpreted that to mean he was wondering if the site's advice could be trusted and if a "beginner" guitar would be worth buying.

He should have performed an interpretive dance number on YouTube so we didn’t all just jump to wild conclusions.😝

• Members

If you're looking at the $300 price range you can get quite a decent guitar to learn on for that price! My first guitar was an acoustic electric right in that price range and it was a great starting guitar. Not sure of the exact model but something like the CC-60SCE. No use in spending a lot more if you're not committed to guitar, Once you commit, learn what you like etc then spend more and buy a 'forever' guitar. I own a Taylor and Blueridge and still have that first fender so it wasn't a waste.  

• Members
On 4/9/2020 at 11:33 AM, wkendhacker said:

Yamaha, Seagull, possibly Breedlove. It’s been a while since I’ve paid attention to Breedlove, though, so I don’t know if their entry level instruments fall into that price ranged. Maybe used. 

The Breedlove Discovery series starts at $299 so yes, that would be an option as well.

• Members
On 3/23/2020 at 11:17 AM, Digital_Idyll said:

I'm particularly interested in the BEST ACOUSTIC GUITAR FOR BEGINNERS UNDER $300 section. is a guitar at that price point really any good? It's kinda my price range, so I want to believe but I don't want to waste my money on something that I won't be able to play eiether.

Under $300, acoustic steel string, not junk - the only thing that pops into my head is Yamaha.

Archived