the volume on my solid state amp is too loud at a low volume setting

mbengs1

• Members

with the volume at zero turning to 1 there is quite a large increase in volume. I think it gets too loud quickly. At one, the volume is loud enough to jam with a drummer. Is this normal for my amp? It's a Laney lx120rh. 

• Members
1 hour ago, Grant Harding said:

Maybe it's been modified to do that by someone that plays with a drummer and wanted to make sure he was always loud enough. 

It's already too loud, why'd anyone make the clean sound louder ?

• Members
10 hours ago, BDJohnston said:

Can you use attenuators on solid state amps? The only problem is that a cheap one is still over $100.

Sure. You can find one on eBay for $25 or so, or you can make your own. You can put it in the effects loop or use it like a pedal. It can be cheap because it's not handling the amp's output. Of course you can also use the volume knob on your guitar.

• Members
18 hours ago, daddymack said:

sounds to me like the volume pot needs to be replaced. How old is the amp?

u sure? I don't think the pots are broken since it's barely even used. maybe I should let it rest on it's side. 

• Members
35 minutes ago, mbengs1 said:

Is there anything to the tapering of the pots ? how can it be brought back to it's original state? 

https://www.hoaglandcustom.com/2017/05/15/hello-world/

A LINEAR taper pot increases the signal in a linear fashion. (“1” on your control is equal to 10%, “4” is equal to 40% and so forth) This works very different from an audio taper volume pot. For those looking for a smooth, predictable transition to volume, a linear taper pot will probably work best for you.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, mbengs1 said:

u sure? I don't think the pots are broken since it's barely even used. maybe I should let it rest on it's side. 

seriously, what possible good is resting the amp on its side going to do for the potentiometer?

You come up with some of the most bizarre 'fixes':facepalm:

what was the other one, oh, yeah, leaving a broken pedal on for three days would cure it...:rolleyes2:

Maybe you should kill a goat in front of it while you're at it :freak:...and light some candles:idk:

Okay let's take a step back into reality.

You could try cleaning the pot with one of those spray cans like De-Oxit, but that will not alter the actual taper of the pot, nor 'restore' its taper to original specs.

How long have you had the amp?

Did you buy it new?

Is it under warranty?

When did the pot's taper become noticeably out of whack?

what is plugged into the amp/fx loop?

4 hours ago, mbengs1 said:

Is there anything to the tapering of the pots ? how can it be brought back to it's original state? 

That may BE its original state. Lots of amps have sensitive volume controls that go from essentially no volume to too loud for bedroom / quiet practice use; this isn't limited to just your Laney. 

Part of the problem IMHO may be your expectations. It sounds like you're trying to use a 120W amp for something it was never really intended for - IOW, fairly quiet ('bedroom level") practice. A smaller, lower-wattage amp would be far more appropriate for that.

• Members
5 hours ago, daddymack said:

Okay let's take a step back into reality.

You could try cleaning the pot with one of those spray cans like De-Oxit, but that will not alter the actual taper of the pot, nor 'restore' its taper to original specs.

How long have you had the amp?

Did you buy it new?

Is it under warranty?

When did the pot's taper become noticeably out of whack?

what is plugged into the amp/fx loop?

I've had the amp for 1 year. It was not new but it looked quite new. No warranty. It changed recently maybe 2 weeks ago. nothing is plugged in the effects loop

• Members
14 hours ago, daddymack said:

seriously, what possible good is resting the amp on its side going to do for the potentiometer?

You come up with some of the most bizarre 'fixes':facepalm:

what was the other one, oh, yeah, leaving a broken pedal on for three days would cure it...:rolleyes2:

Maybe you should kill a goat in front of it while you're at it :freak:...and light some candles:idk:

Turning the amp on its side will preoccupy the gremlin with hanging on for dear life to avoid electrocution.

Leaving a pedal or any electronic unit on can dry out or warp any dust bunny that may be shorting the circuitry. This one is simply thermal.

Archived