speaker advice for newbie

• Members

Hi all. We have just bought a pa12-cp allen and heath powered mixer - 500watts a side @ 8 ohms and now looking for speakers to replace the old tr series JBL's we have been running. Any ideas? Interested in sound and wattage advice - seems to be a thing to use speakers half the wattage of your amp according to some sites I've found. This doesn't match my intuition but I'm a long time muso but v. short time looking at pa/sound reinforcement stuff so really keen for advice. We are going to use the speakers primarily for FOH vocals, but might be tempted to stick a little kick through them when we can't be bothered hiring subs or the gig is not so large. Thanks in advance. P.s am in NEw Zealand - unfortunately a very limited second hand market - at the moment there are available some jblmr825's, mr925's, quest500s, wharfedale lx153e, das ds-15s, and proel tpr15p and lots of jbl jrx's which i've noticed most people on these forums seem to hate. Any help greatly appreciated! Cheers

• Members

Look at JBL MRX if you can afford it. If RCF or FBT are over there they make some nice passive stuff too. EV Z4, Z5, Peavey SP2, EV ZX4, ZX5. If you're looking for cheap - Yamaha Club series. That's as low as you really want to go on the food chain.

Archived