VOM1T March 2020

garthman

• Members

Nothing new but here's one from December, 2017. I was a huge fan of Roy Clark on "Hee Haw" and one running bit was a series of skits featuring Roy as the proprietor of the "Empty Arms Hotel." Here's an example:

Here then is my original, "The Empty Arms Hotel," dedicated to Roy:

https://m.soundcloud.com/david-phelps-681437607/the-empty-arms-hotel

• Members

Hi!

I hope you are all well in this terrible time.

I ordered a little ukulele to bring at work with me and received it very quickly.

The first thing I did was learn a few chords and try to record.

It’s not good enough to share, though, yet...

• Members
On 3/22/2020 at 5:24 PM, DeepEnd said:

Nothing new but here's one from December, 2017. I was a huge fan of Roy Clark on "Hee Haw" and one running bit was a series of skits featuring Roy as the proprietor of the "Empty Arms Hotel." Here's an example:

Very nice DeepEnd! Thank you for that song!

I ain’t no as good as you, people here, are but I recorded a little something last thursday.  I was playing with a little ukulele.

Have a good day! 

• Members
18 hours ago, Misha said:

Very nice DeepEnd! Thank you for that song!

I ain’t no as good as you, people here, are but I recorded a little something last thursday.  I was playing with a little ukulele.

Have a good day! 

Thanks for your kind words. I hope you'll grace us with another submission of your own soon. These days the VOM needs all the help it can get and we can all use more music in our lives.

• Members
3 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

Thanks for your kind words. I hope you'll grace us with another submission of your own soon. These days the VOM needs all the help it can get and we can all use more music in our lives.

I tried to change my mind last evening but could not play any instrument. I lost my 15 yo cat to cancer yesterday afternoon. At least, listening to music, reading or writing about music and instruments helped me change my mind a bit. We get so atrached to these little pawls, it's tough when they leave!  Thank's for your songs, people of the VOM1T. It's good for my mood!

20181006_021013.jpg

• Members

Hello everyone.

When I started the VOM I had good intentions to record something new but was seduced by the lovely (very unseasonable!) sunny weather here in the UK all last week so did lots of work in the garden.

So here is an old one: 

As Tears Go By by Jagger and Richards

https://app.box.com/s/19hya0cf80ig90cg5ew24ue56h071ym7

Great to see you Deep, Cats and Misha - some great contributions.

Misha - you have a most beautiful voice. You must participate in every VOM - that is an order. 

• Members
5 hours ago, garthman said:

Hello everyone.

When I started the VOM I had good intentions to record something new but was seduced by the lovely (very unseasonable!) sunny weather here in the UK all last week so did lots of work in the garden.

So here is an old one: 

Misha - you have a most beautiful voice. You must participate in every VOM - that is an order. 

Hi garthman! Thank you and “lol”, we’ll see! 😉

• Members
12 hours ago, garthman said:

Hello everyone.

So here is an old one: 

Garthman, I’m back at home after work. I could not listen to your clip at the office but I found your song and your voice very soothing! It’s worth gold during these crazy and beyond belief days!  

• Members
On 3/22/2020 at 9:24 PM, DeepEnd said:

nice one Deepend as always great lyrics and catchy melody

• Members
18 hours ago, garthman said:

Hello everyone.

So here is an old one: 

Hi Howard, nice one ,i listen to the Rolling Stones a lot in my car at the moment.

• Members
15 hours ago, catscurlyear said:

nice one Deepend as always great lyrics and catchy melody

Thanks. Glad you like it. Like some of my other originals it literally took years to come together. I had the basic verse for years and then came up with the chorus but I couldn't figure how both fit in the same song. It had to sit and ferment for more years until it all made some semblance of sense.

• Members

Late to the party. This is a short ditty played on a Yamaha classical guitar that was modified to accept 0.010 gauge set steel strings. Howard (garthman) suggested I experiment with the concept to shortcut what might be a long search for a 12 fret guitar that meets my preferences. So, without much hesitation, I proceeded to sharpen the tools and effect what is now a very decent 12-fret guitar. Thanks again for the push, Howard. I'm late this VOM1T because I had to heal the tip of my left index finger after a bout with a sharp wood chisel, which also abbreviated the playing of this piece. Thanks.

Edit: The ringtone you hear in the beginning is an incoming text on my new cell phone. I'm on the grid!

https://app.box.com/s/u88is3yxitsyhmquixebp4dnp992qh3f

• Members

Idunno - Well done as usual. It was worth the wait, for sure. Sorry to hear about your latest injury.

BTW, I thought of you the other day. I was browsing on CraigsList and saw a Larrivée SD40 12 fret dread for sale.

• Members
20 hours ago, Idunno said:

Late to the party. This is a short ditty played on a Yamaha classical guitar that was modified to accept 0.010 gauge set steel strings. Howard (garthman) suggested I experiment with the concept to shortcut what might be a long search for a 12 fret guitar that meets my preferences. So, without much hesitation, I proceeded to sharpen the tools and effect what is now a very decent 12-fret guitar. Thanks again for the push, Howard. I'm late this VOM1T because I had to heal the tip of my left index finger after a bout with a sharp wood chisel, which also abbreviated the playing of this piece. Thanks.

A lot better late than never, Joe. Excellent playing and the guitars sounds very good. 

Glad to have been of help.

Archived