Wanting to do a Floyd Rose Swap from Licensed to Original

Frets

• Members

I have a  Trans Blue colored B.C. Rich Mockingbird NJ (Nagoya,Japan) series with bolt on neck that I bought back in early 1999/2000 or so from a local guitar shop.

It came with a licensed Floyd Rose and Im wanting to swap the licensed version out for a Original Floyd Rose.

Anyone know what I should be looking for to get an original replacement? I search & read a good bit but havent exactly found what to buy for an original to fit in this guitar. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

B.C.Rick Mocking Bird NJ Series Year 2000 Guitar.jpg

299399501_B.C.RickMockingBirdNJSeriesYear2000Guitar.jpg.326ee1782f83ee266daa7b629169c0f3.jpg

• Members

Much thanks badpenguin. I was hoping for a part number for ease of search but this seems a bit more involved to replace. Just so Im on the same page as you, I will want to measure the whole tremolo unit plus the mounting bolts (center to center). Is there anything else I am missing as far as measuring?

I assume the lock nut would be okay to leave intact correct? 

Thanks again 

• Members
On 3/22/2020 at 2:27 PM, badpenguin said:

The nut should be fine. But why do you want to change it, if it's working fine? You aren't increasing the value of the guitar.

Ive been getting alot of out of tune and string popping out of the bridge when using the whammy. I read a while ago that its due to it being a license copy? 

Im using ernie ball 9's on it  with cutting the wrap completely off the string and the guitar is still in like new shape with hardly any wear to it. Its been this way since I bought and I shoved it off to the side for years up on years as I figured it was a loss. I read and checked the saddles and locking screws as I read they couldve worn in a bit but it all seemed okay.

I researched a bit some years ago and read its due to the licensed copy and to get a original for it. Now back at it & researching again. I found a video on a fix for it but havent tried it. 

Thanks for that info AJ6stringsting. 

• Members

I have three guitars that I bought with cheapo licensed Floyds in which I replaced all with OFRs. The OFRs just dropped in with no problems. But just to be sure before you pay $170+ for an OFR, take badpenguin's advice and measure from pivot post to pivot post.

AXcessories.com has a cool OFR without fine tuners that if I had to refit my Floyded guitars all over again, I would get those. They only cost $129 each, and I rarely use the fine tuners. They only come in chrome, tho. But I emailed Mitchel at AXcessories, and he said they were also a drop-in replacement for regular OFRs with fine tuners.

Here they are

https://www.axcessories.com/Original-Non-Fine-Tuner-tremolo-system-Chrome

Archived