ksl

FERNANDES LE 2FS SUSTAINER GUITAR HELP NEEDED

Hoping everyone's safe.. This is strange territory for me & probably most of you, but as I know less than any of you, I've included some pictures of the circuitry & any necessary wiring.
The issue is that I cannot get the Sustainer (neck) p/u to go on. Guitar has a 3-way switch..The bridge is fine, as is the middle, but oddly, the middle p/u is on also in the #3 position. I went as far as disconnecting the middle p/u to verify this finding... and nothing happening the neck position. One thing that caught my eye was that those red & white (& perhaps black?) wires go from the neck p/u going to one side of that board, then off the other side of the board & straight to that Mini-pot on the bottom of the pic, with NOTHING going to the switch. On the switch, the Blue is the bridge, Red is the  Middle, & that White wire in the Middle goes to one of the pots. Also, 2 of the 3 mid p/u wires are going to ground.... Fernandes can offer no further info on this model. Can ANYONE help me make heads or tails out of this, & has anyone ever worked on one, or know anyone who has??
If you've read this far, thanks, & I look forward to hearing back.
Kenny

20200320_163612.jpg

20200320_153109.jpg

20200320_145916.jpg

Screenshot_20200320-151825_Gallery.jpg

It looks like there's been a bit of butchery going on under the 'guard. I've never had a fernandes, but imagine the pickups and sustainer are electrically separate? If that's the case then download a standard strat wiring schema and work through the wires, one pickup at a time, preferably with a multimeter so you can test connections, move the selector etc & check that it's doing what it should. Pickup selectors sometimes fail, causing one PU to stop working, and the only lasting solution is replacement.

A single 9v battery in a separate compartment. The 'on light" can be seen on the far right on the board.

I'd take the pickup out of the circuit and see if it works that way. If it does then something grounds it. Trial and error from there.

1 hour ago, 1001gear said:

I'd take the pickup out of the circuit and see if it works that way. If it does then something grounds it. Trial and error from there.

Not true. With the Sustainer system, the neck pickup is the driver coil, that makes it sustain. If that isn't working, then it's in the board itself.

3 hours ago, badpenguin said:

Not true. With the Sustainer system, the neck pickup is the driver coil, that makes it sustain. If that isn't working, then it's in the board itself.

Thanks for that bit. Also does that mean any of the pickups can pick up the strings too?

When the sustainer is switch on, one coil of the neck pickup drives the strings via a pulsing magnet. If I remember rightly, the bridge can be selected via the 5 way switch, along with the standard fenderish 5 way wiring. (you know, n, n+m, m, m+b, b)

21 minutes ago, badpenguin said:

When the sustainer is switch on, one coil of the neck pickup drives the strings via a pulsing magnet. If I remember rightly, the bridge can be selected via the 5 way switch, along with the standard fenderish 5 way wiring. (you know, n, n+m, m, m+b, b)

Yeah got it. I had this vague notion that since it was in the neck position, that's where the pickup had to be. 'Course the sound of those things didn't discourage that notion either. :D