Using a -12dB notch filter for "tone shaping"

• Members

The bandwidth is adjustable only if the bandwidth is adjustable. Is there a bandwidth adjustment? This is true only on specific types or classes of filter BTW.

I do not like fixed depth notches except for crude attempts at feedback control.

• Members

that seems like a really radical cut. for example, i just did a recording of a large ensemble, and the largest eq adjustment i made was 1.5db at about 1 and 1/3 oct width - and it was a startling change to the recording.

what is this -12db tone shaping for? a guitar and amp, or what?

• Members

The discussion involved different D.I. boxes, (acoustic guitar) and one of the posters suggested that the 12 db fixed cut notch filter, could 'potentially be' used for tone shaping, "like a swept mid". Apparently the D.I. he's referring to, has in his words "an adjustable bandwidth". The width of the notch can vary up to two octaves.

I responded much as Coaster says, suggesting that this type of fixed-cut device is really for feedback control, not tone-shaping. Also, that 12dB cut is way too radical for "tone-shaping".

• Members

I Like my DI's to be dumb and switchless if possible. Infact I like if most of the gear has the fewest amount of "user features" possible so it doesn't screw me up. I don't like smart gear:

if it's a mic make it sound good with a good pattern

if it's a cable then don't add transformers or switches

if it's a stand then don't make it overly complex

if it's a snake then make the numbers visible and the connectors easy

if it's a mixer, well, make it complex

if it's an eq, simple

if it's a system processor make everything inaccessable (except to me!)

if it's an amp make it with an off/on, limiters and light

if it's a speaker then make it efficient, light and 2 i/o's

if you're out front then only complement ;)

p

Archived