Playing With Backing Tracks... HELP Please

• Members

I haven’t been playing guitar long, but a lot of what I learned back in the day has come back to me. Playing songs is cool, but I really want to be able to play rhythm and lead with a backing track.  I have researched this topic a lot and seen videos and stuff.  Even when I play with a slow backing track, it still sounds awful.  I know some scales and try to solo around the root and make my way back to the root.  Not sure how important that is, but many say it sounds best.  If any of you have tips, make them simple for an old guy.  Many thanks.

• Members

Long before notes and scales was rhythm. Ok and bellowing beasts and shrieks of terror but that's beside the point. The key and foundation to improvising is rhythm. You need to develop your sense of it along the same axes as any drummer. the best way to get started is listen, listen, listen.

• Members

I think it's one of those things that you just need to keep doing in order to see returns.

Maybe watch some youtube videos that detail how to play popular licks?

Maybe try humming some leads over the backing track, and then figuring them out on the guitar?

Maybe find a chord generator that allows you to voice chords in multiple positions?

Archived