How to find music you like.

1001gear

• Members

I’ve been relying on college radio stations to find something new. They have a very eclectic mix that I listen to while driving. Drawback is that when I hear something I like I need to remember the time and track it down on their playlist 

• Members

most of the music I listen to is the stuff I write and record.  I was a huge audiophile growing up and still have several thousand LP, s Cassettes and CD's I bought over the years.  They were my library for learning how to be a musician. I even have the scratches in those old LP's memorized from having lifted and dropping the needle so many times to learn parts. 

Along with that I used to drive for a living so I'd listen to music 8~10 hors a day in the car driving from one job to the next.  When I jam with other people they are mystified how I can memorize and play most of a song after only hearing it one time. They think its some kind of gift.  They don't see the lifetime of ear training It took to be able to do that. 

I guess all those years of listening eventually turned around and started working in the opposite direction.  For the past 30 years I write more then I listen to other peoples music and have gotten far away from mimicking other peoples music.  If all that listening did have an influence on my writing its well masked at this point. I can mimic other artists at will but I rarely will to do so any more.  Its too much like playing cover tunes which I also got bored silly playing in cover bands.  I lost count of how many cover tunes I learned to play and become quite bored listening to many of them too.  Playing those songs live does that to you.  Simply listing has less emotional appeal compared to playing them live and getting a response back. 

I still enjoy finding offbeat stuff though.  Friends used to tell me I had the best B side movie collection out there.  In reality, the hits were so over played on the radio it was like fingernails on a chalk board hearing them so I'd find other songs by the same bands people didn't hear as often but were still very good and popular. 

I used to like listening to stations like PBS that had New Age and various odd forms of music. Some of the other Rock stations would also play great stuff late night early morning when they had few listeners and weren't glued to playing music on the charts.  Every so often I'd hear a song I really liked but these days they don't even tell you who the artist or song name was. They aren't interested in selling music or promoting artists.  When the internet made stealing songs easy, the stores that sold music collapsed. This dried up all the cash for studios to make money and any artists relying on album sales either switched to live shows as income or tried the on line music sales for a penny a purchase.  Good luck with that. 

This Corona virus is going be the coffin nails for most working bands. No clubs open, no work for bands.   

I really like Spotify. Not only do they have a huge catalog, but you can mark the songs you like. Based on that, and what you tend to listen to, they feed you Daily Mix playlists (the more you listen, the more DM playlists you get), which include songs you like, but also some stylistically similar songs that you may also like. You can mark ("like"), share, check out / play the album that songs came from, add them to your own custom playlist(s) and even listen to a virtual "radio station" based on songs too. They also have Discover Weekly and New Release Radar playlists that help you find music that's brand new, or that may appeal to you. 

The more you use it, the more it figures what you like, and the better the recommendations get.

There are no ads, no interruptions, and no bullpucky, and it all works great. I think I pay ten bucks a month for my Spotify Premium subscription, but IMO it's money very well spent!

• Members

Lissnan ta adz on Spotify baybeh.... Turns out I already had a free account. Had to hop a few ditches to get logged; no hoops.  There was a guitar only cat so here I am. Oh yeah you can't tell. First cut was good Mark Lettieri Montreal mixed results after that.