Sign in to follow this  
6down1togo

Incoming! NGD imminent and unavoidable - Update - They've arrived! HMOG!

Posted (edited)

I decided I wanted an acoustic electric guitar to have around the house and did a search on Ibanez on eBay. This one caught my eye immediately and was right-priced. Having had good experiences with Ibanez guitars in the past, I pulled the trigger. I called the seller (who I have bought multiple guitars from over the years) and puchased a fitted hard shell case w free shipping since the guitar will ship in it. I haven't played this model but it has scalloped X-bracing, flamed open-pore okoume wood body and nyatoh (Asian mahogany) neck, thim satin finish, wood bindings and a really cool wood vine inlay that is elegant, but low key. I am really stoked over this guitar and the wood figure on this one just knocked me out.

IBLZfl.jpg  

c03C3T.jpg

It's a cosmic thing to reunite brothers separated at birth, making both brothers more harmonious under the same roof. I also had a jazz box itch that needed scratching so while searching Ibanez guitars, this one just jumped off the page. Again, the woods just blew me away and knowing how consistent Ibanez guality is, I pulled the trigger. I did a little detective work to find the seller (a pawn shop in AL) and called him directly to negotiate a better deal including case. He advised also that all the "marks" in the photos are reflections. On arrival, I am going to add ebony pickup rings and an ebony tailpiece overlay to "jazz it up" a bit.

m4xgqQ.jpg zgSrfE.jpg

Edited by 6down1togo
  • Like 4

Happy (Pending) New Guitar Day X2. 👍 Ibanez acoustics don't get much love but I like mine. They're made by Cort and IMHO as good as just about anything out there for the price.

I've got one of those jazz boxes (AF 95) and love it. I think yours may be few years newer as went with simple tail piece but still have those lovely fret marker inlays. You can see my headstock in avatar. All the gold plating came off within weeks, but I am in Thailand.... site had Gretsch knobs for cheap, hence label it a "Grouch"

If I might suggest, get some StewMac golden age humbuckers to replace rather blah stock pickups. Made a world of difference (in a good way).

10151614809238361.jpg.f716dafad3d5b7b711e40a1aedab5f7b.jpg

Congrats, Hope she plays as great as she looks.  Really like the jazz box too.

Maybe you can add an Ibanez mandolin next

Image result for Ibanez M522S

Posted (edited)

Well, both arrived safe and sound. Kudos to Barry Clark Music in Tomah, WI and Pronto Pawn in Mobile AL for prompt shipping and good packing.

The good: Both guitars are drop dead gorgeous and look even better in person than the pics. The Ibanez AF85VLS plays and sounds great. Just needed intonation and action adjust. The Ibanez AEG315FMH sounds great unplugged and amplified. Been a long time since I've played a decent acoustic. What amazes me is that not only are the top and back bookmatched but they also match the grain patterns (streaks and chevron flame) front to back. Just incredible workmanship on both! Lotta bang for little bucks.

The bad: The downer is that the action is high and nut was cut too shallow on the 3 low strings (high strings are fine) making chording way more work than. First fret action on the low E is .025". Other than that it is great. I will have to file the nut slots slightly and also fine the bridge saddle (both are none by the way).

The pics:

0521H8.jpg O9T2ML.jpg tbqg23.jpg 

fjzYRH.jpg 

AQMWud.jpg

Edited by 6down1togo

Posted (edited)
On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 1:21 AM, Emory said:

I've got one of those jazz boxes (AF 95) and love it. I think yours may be few years newer as went with simple tail piece but still have those lovely fret marker inlays. You can see my headstock in avatar. All the gold plating came off within weeks, but I am in Thailand.... site had Gretsch knobs for cheap, hence label it a "Grouch"

If I might suggest, get some StewMac golden age humbuckers to replace rather blah stock pickups. Made a world of difference (in a good way).

10151614809238361.jpg.f716dafad3d5b7b711e40a1aedab5f7b.jpg

Nice guitar!

Yeah, the pickups (ACH-1&2) are blandville. I'm a big fan of the Super '58's that are in my AS93 though. I have a set of Giovanni (GH1&2) that I'll probably put in mine.

Edited by 6down1togo