Air/Gas Assist Speaker Stands

ggm1960

• Members

So my wife and I are using the Eon One Pro stick PA. I actually like it because having it behind us works great for monitoring but, as I feared, it's proving to be under powered for some venues. It's occurred to me that rather than starting over with a new system perhaps we should just add a powered speaker (JBL Eon612 or similar) for some extra oompf. Advantages being; we continue to use what we already have and our "system" is modular in that if we don't need the speaker, we leave it at home.

Anyway..... I long ago sold all the band level PA gear I had so we'll need to buy a speaker stand if we choose to follow this path. We like easy and I see some "assist" speaker stands out there, some perhaps with gas, others with air that will basically lift the speaker up for you. Anyone have experience, knowledge or recommendations for any of these things?

• Moderators

For what it is worth, newer powered speakers are relatively lightweight. I can heft my Alto 10s easily, but I am considering getting a pair of 15" Altos later this year, and I already bought a pair of these to go with them...they are actually pretty reasonable, well made and a one-button-locking system.....

For the band, where we use passive Yamaha 12s, with plywood enclosures, we had the precursors to these

Pricey, but easy to raise and lower.

Gator makes a nice stand as well [a friend of mine uses them for his PA].

• Members
22 hours ago, daddymack said:

For what it is worth, newer powered speakers are relatively lightweight. I can heft my Alto 10s easily, but I am considering getting a pair of 15" Altos later this year, and I already bought a pair of these to go with them...they are actually pretty reasonable, well made and a one-button-locking system.....

That looks like a great option! The only ones that "popped up" in search for me were the On-Stage SS7764B Air-Lift Speaker Stand at $66 and the way more expensive Ultimate Support TS-100B Lift-Assist Speaker Stand at $170.

• Members
On 3/13/2020 at 1:52 PM, Notes_Norton said:

We use OnStage stands that use a crank to raise. A drill would work too, but the crank is easy. Link

My EV speakers are 38lbs each. Leilani and I lift them to the 'down' level (about 4 feet) and she cranks them up the rest of the way.

They are rated for 100 lbs I think.

Notes

That's a tried and true solution, apparently these spring/air/gas assist things are still rather new.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, modulusman said:

If you can't lift a 30 pound speaker up on a stand maybe it is time to hang it up. The Eon one pro is a joke as you found out. Sell it and buy something worth owning like an EV evolve 50 or if you need the mixer an evolve 30.

no need to be rude about it...it may not be a matter of ability, but preference...personally, I would rather not lift anything heavier than a guitar...I'm old, but I can still play.

I will say the Eon One has some shortcomings, especially in the wattage arena, where 250 watts is barely enough, but when half of that goes to powering the 8" subwoofer, that will limit the room filling awesomeness...the battery pack is a nice adjunct if you need it, but I heard the early versions were slow to charge and failed to hold a charge after repeated use.. I still use my SA220, but I am well aware of its limitations; at least the wattage is dedicated 'up top', and not wasted on a subwoofer, since I perform solo on guitar/vocals.

so you might ask, why are you thinking of getting a pair of 15" speakers...the answer being: outdoor gigs....and if I use the beat buddy, the kick tends to get dissipated too easily through the 10" speakers... 15s will give it more harrumph...

• Members
On 3/15/2020 at 2:42 PM, daddymack said:

no need to be rude about it...it may not be a matter of ability, but preference...personally, I would rather not lift anything heavier than a guitar...I'm old, but I can still play.

I will say the Eon One has some shortcomings, especially in the wattage arena, where 250 watts is barely enough, but when half of that goes to powering the 8" subwoofer, that will limit the room filling awesomeness...the battery pack is a nice adjunct if you need it, but I heard the early versions were slow to charge and failed to hold a charge after repeated use..

I posted the back ground information knowing I'd get some possibly less than flattering comments hahha.

Back when we started this thing I was looking at the available options for light weight, easy transport/setup stick PA options and the Eon One Pro was one of a few available. I mentioned it and without my knowledge my wife jumped the gun and went ahead and ordered it so then there we were. I don't hate it, the sound from it is clear and it's easy to transport and operate.

• Moderators

no offense intended, just an observation based on specs and things I had heard...

My stands arrived today, and I went a little crazy and ordered the 15" Alto* 600W pair [at $135 each, new, with free shipping! Thanks, Reverb!], and a carry bag for the stands...next I'll need covers for the speakers...

unfortunately, I have no gigs ATM, ...bars closing all over LA and Ventura Counties...but I'm hoping [ever the optimist-which is why I still moderate here 😉] to get some outdoor gigs this spring/summer...if the 10 person limit on gatherings gets lifted...thanks, covid-19!

It really put the 'hink' in my housewarming party plans, too....:cry:

*if you are not aware of Alto speakers, you should check into it...I started with a pair of 10" a few years ago, then got a pair of 8" last year for monitors and small gigs, and now the 15" for outdoors and large rooms [unlikely as a solo]. I'm considering renting out my 'system' [16ch Yamaha, 4 hotspot type monitors-1 powered+3 slaves, or the 8" as monitors and either the 10" or 15" as mains, or both daisy-chained, or the 10s as monitors...flexibility is my selling point! ] to get some 'payback' on it, but since no one has any gigs, kind of pointless ATM:philpalm:

• Members
11 hours ago, daddymack said:

no offense intended, just an observation based on specs and things I had heard...

My stands arrived today, and I went a little crazy and ordered the 15" Alto* 600W pair [at $135 each, new, with free shipping! Thanks, Reverb!], and a carry bag for the stands...next I'll need covers for the speakers...

unfortunately, I have no gigs ATM, ...bars closing all over LA and Ventura Counties...but I'm hoping [ever the optimist-which is why I still moderate here 😉] to get some outdoor gigs this spring/summer...if the 10 person limit on gatherings gets lifted...thanks, covid-19!

It really put the 'hink' in my housewarming party plans, too....:cry:

*if you are not aware of Alto speakers, you should check into it...I started with a pair of 10" a few years ago, then got a pair of 8" last year for monitors and small gigs, and now the 15" for outdoors and large rooms [unlikely as a solo]. I'm considering renting out my 'system' [16ch Yamaha, 4 hotspot type monitors-1 powered+3 slaves, or the 8" as monitors and either the 10" or 15" as mains, or both daisy-chained, or the 10s as monitors...flexibility is my selling point! ] to get some 'payback' on it, but since no one has any gigs, kind of pointless ATM:philpalm:

I'm assuming since you said 600 watt speakers you are talking about the Alto TX 215. If you read the specs comparing it to the JBL eon 1 the alto loses. 

• Members
13 hours ago, daddymack said:

since no one has any gigs, kind of pointless ATM:philpalm:

Indeed, sad days for gigging folks. I haven't pulled the trigger on any of this stuff yet (I was still in the assessment phase anyway) and our Saturday gig is cancelled. Even though it's just a hobby for my wife and I where we rarely play more than once a month we obviously justify new gear with our proceeds to some extent. On the bright side, the down time allows me to continue working on the backing tracks I've been making for us.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, modulusman said:

I'm assuming since you said 600 watt speakers you are talking about the Alto TX 215. If you read the specs comparing it to the JBL eon 1 the alto loses. 

thanks for your input, yes, I'm aware of the specs [these are the USB models, btw with built in 'media player' for breaks], but, the Eon 15" costs ~4x as much as the price I'm paying for the Altos, and the specs are not 4x better...so if you are not going to pay the difference for me, then please understand that I am getting 'the best bang for my $'... :wave:

• Members

I have a pair of Ultimate support TS100B speaker stands for sale that have the air lift feature. First, this isn't a new model. I bought these a few years ago and didn't use them very much so they're in mint condition. I wouldn't suggest these for 30lb speakers. The air lift is better for 40lbs or more and if you turn the knob without a speaker placed the insert will spring up real fast! If that happens, the problem is pushing it back down.

These are heavy duty stands but I don't really like them that much myself. Selling the pair for $200.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2456021704711702/

• Members
20 hours ago, daddymack said:

thanks for your input, yes, I'm aware of the specs [these are the USB models, btw with built in 'media player' for breaks], but, the Eon 15" costs ~4x as much as the price I'm paying for the Altos, and the specs are not 4x better...so if you are not going to pay the difference for me, then please understand that I am getting 'the best bang for my $'... :wave:

I was comparing the specs to the EON 1 not a  Eon615. You said you were getting a pair of 15s since you needed more  oomph for out side and large rooms. The Alto you bought has 119 max SPL compared to 118 for the Eon 1 which you agreed had a lot to be desired earlier in this thread. The Eon will also go lower by almost a half octave compared to the Alto which means if you were using your beat buddy the Eon should sound better. Doesn't matter how good of deal you got on your  altos still the wrong tool for the job IMO.

• Moderators

seriously, you have nothing else to do than critique people's gear choices?

Thanks for the opinion, but I'm just going to go with what I got...

Again, I'm going for 'bang for the buck'.......I could have bought used Thumps...for twice the price, but I don't need that much power, or weight

Anyway, ATM, it is all moot since there will be no gigs for the foreseeable future...

• Members
2 hours ago, daddymack said:

seriously, you have nothing else to do than critique people's gear choices?

Thanks for the opinion, but I'm just going to go with what I got...

Again, I'm going for 'bang for the buck'.......I could have bought used Thumps...for twice the price, but I don't need that much power, or weight

Anyway, ATM, it is all moot since there will be no gigs for the foreseeable future...

Or you could have bought the Alto TS308 which would be twice as loud, go just as low and only weighed 20 pounds for about $100.00 a piece more. 

• Members
15 hours ago, ggm1960 said:

Bob those seem like the real deal, I've got to ask what don't you like about them?

Although the air compression helps lift speakers, you have to push down on the speaker when you want it to go down at the end of the night. Also the legs aren't as easy to spread out as other speaker stands. And, there are inserts that are needed to match the hole on my speakers. The inserts mean I have to lift speakers up higher to get them on the stand. (Note the silver cylinder at the top of stands in the photos.) Longer speaker stand bags are also needed because of the extra length.

The good points: they are very sturdy and reliable compared to cheaper stands. And they look great!

• Moderators
On 3/20/2020 at 10:42 AM, modulusman said:

Or you could have bought the Alto TS308 which would be twice as loud, go just as low and only weighed 20 pounds for about $100.00 a piece more. 

I have a pair of TS308s already, thanks for playing...:wave:

I am trying to keep this thread on topic, your continued nitpicking regarding my gear purchases is not helping.  If you have something to add about air or gas lift stands, please contribute; if you want to talk about my choice of speakers, start a new thread, m'kay?

• Members
1 hour ago, daddymack said:

I have a pair of TS308s already, thanks for playing...:wave:

I am trying to keep this thread on topic, your continued nitpicking regarding my gear purchases is not helping.  If you have something to add about air or gas lift stands, please contribute; if you want to talk about my choice of speakers, start a new thread, m'kay?

My problem is when people start spreading the wrong information. Earlier in this thread you said the Eon one had an 8 inch subwoofer and 250 watts both of those statements are WRONG. Look up the specs for yourself.

• Members
1 hour ago, daddymack said:

okay, fine,  but I was referring to the Eon 1 PRO,

Forgive me for my lack of exactitude when referencing the model in my post...go back and read the very first sentence of the OP...there it is...oh, yeah, 8" sub...250W...

Happy now?:philpalm:

whatever...

Well actually I was wrong. I thought that the battery operated Eon1 pro was the same as the eon one but with a rechargeable battery. I can now see how you got your specs. So I apologize. 

Archived