Rogers Dyna-Sonic Snare Wannabe?

Highvoltage1

• Members

So, I came across this snare drum with no positive identification. It's a wood shell 5x14 with a blue sparkle wrap. It has no Rogers logo and there's no mounting screw holes (3) for the logo. Stamped inside of the shell, in black ink are the numbers 1553 and on the rim rings the numbers 3765 are stamped in black ink. The oval badge is gone and in its place is oval shape glue residue. There are no mounting screw (2) holes that other oval badges have. The snare wire is 12 strands and stamped on each end "Rogers". The bottom ring has no mounting holes at the wire slots for any hardware for the snare wire rail that are on the Dyna-Sonics. The strainer throw off is used on the vintage Rogers "Tower"models but....the Tower shells were all painted grey on the inside and a sticker placed in it for identification. The muffler is also different from the ones on the Dyna-Sonics. I have spent hours researching this down and came to the conclusion that I am at where I started...in the dark. Any input will be more than welcome.

Thanks.

747228873_IMG_21482.thumb.jpeg.2fd505d572917a916429580ab2d1b200.jpeg1828163301_IMG_21492.thumb.jpeg.e92f686a9f002311cda340bafb9b6fec.jpeg1399110908_IMG_21442.thumb.jpeg.926096c46d65a099a9f1c7aac82221cd.jpeg1998942578_IMG_21432.thumb.jpeg.88c008fbbfb4b5e4b2cb20895d1b8683.jpeg703737656_IMG_21452.thumb.jpeg.18a8a6d473e84ae98ab499c97e2b1b7d.jpeg8337909_IMG_21462.thumb.jpeg.147e7ba2db46fedef7d350f3d2c38da1.jpeg8337909_IMG_21462.thumb.jpeg.147e7ba2db46fedef7d350f3d2c38da1.jpeg703737656_IMG_21452.thumb.jpeg.18a8a6d473e84ae98ab499c97e2b1b7d.jpeg

• Members

I really dont care if this a Dyna-Sonic or not, I'm just curious what it is. The snare wires are what started me down the Rogers path and because the strainer throw off is what Rogers put on it's vintage 60's / 70's Tower models,... and no other drum makers that use that particular throw off. Problem is, the Tower models are painted grey on the inside with a sticker that gives the manufacturer and model and I think a serial number, this one doesn't have either one. I'm pretty sure that the Vintage Dyna-Sonic is the only model that didnt have the inner shell painted grey. Regardless....I'll continue to research this unknown snare for awhile. I had already ruled out that it was a vintage Dyna-Sonic when I looked at the snare wire slots in the bottom ring before I posted. There's too many unanswered questions with this snare.

• Members

The plot thickens. Taking my cue from 1001gear I researched drum lugs. Turns out I'm in the wrong forum...the lugs are Slingerland and some of the vintage snares used a throw off 

very similar, if not the same as the one I have. Also the badge on these snares had no mounting screws, they were glued on and anchored to the shell with tangs on the badge.

Thank you for the input, I'm going over to the Slingerland Forums to figure out the rest over there.

Drum On!

• Members

Here's what got me going down the Rogers path. It's a match and there are no extra holes for anything in the shell...same thing for the Slingerland double sided lugs, or what looks to be Slingeland double sided lugs....matched them up on ebay. Time for me to remove the throw off and one of the lugs to see if there's any markings on the backsides.

https://rockhausguitars.com/product/rogers-monitor-throw-off-strainer/

• Members

O.K... Pulled the throw off and 2 lugs and saw nothing to help I.D. my wannabe snare....just the number 1 stamped in them and no felt packing. The link you posted was very helpful, thanks. I'm posting another link on Japanese made drums thats also a good read but...I have a feeling you already know all thats in it 🙂

Also posting pics. of the metal tangs of the grommet that helped secure the badge in place. Another thing to help narrow the search,... it's not a roll over grommet that were used by all Japanese drum makers at the time (from what I found).

https://reverb.com/news/tuning-japanese-a-look-at-vintage-japanese-drum-sets

IMG_2162.jpeg

IMG_2161.jpeg

IMG_2162.thumb.jpeg.5415bbcd5a2330e79cad5bec91312b3c.jpeg

IMG_2161.thumb.jpeg.439d1c4974326008e26d0336f5ef99a7.jpeg

• Members

It could be...It might be....it IS!!!  It's a vintage MIJ Mayfair snare. All the parts and information match. It was fun doing the research and being in this forum and thanks again.

Even tho this is a Rogers Forum, it got me to where I wanted to be. Now...to have some fun restoring it.

25 minutes ago, Highvoltage1 said:

It could be...It might be....it IS!!!  It's a vintage MIJ Mayfair snare. All the parts and information match. It was fun doing the research and being in this forum and thanks again.

Even tho this is a Rogers Forum, it got me to where I wanted to be. Now...to have some fun restoring it.

I’m glad you were able to figure it out, but I need to correct you on something - we’re not a “Rogers forum” - Harmony Central’s Drum Forum (IOW, this forum) isn’t brand-specific; we welcome discussions about ANYTHING drum-related you want to talk about! :) 

• Members

Looks like the restoration is off the table. The snare came to me with no batter head and no tension rods. So I take a screw and lug from the renaissance side to Guitar Center, they couldn't match it up. Next stop, Ace Hardware...same result. Then I go to Home Depot...same thing. I tried both the screw and the lug nut at the "find the size" station, both metric and standard sizes with no luck. When I found a screw that started in the lug nut it would only go in a few threads, same thing with the tension rod and a nut, the tension rod would only go in a few turns and then lock up. I cant see this as a specialty part because many of the drum manufacturers in Japan used the same hardware back then. So I give up, If anyone out there has any ideas or knows where I can get 8 of these rods....the dimensions are 1 3/4in. long... 0.190 dia. ... ?? threads per inch.

Thanks.

• Members

Got a fast reply from Gary at Precision Drum. He said that Precision Drums only carries tension rods that are the standard 12-24 thread thats a .212 OD.. He didnt offer any ideas.

I noticed on Precision Drums website under products, they had no tension rods that are 1 3/4" in length.

Maybe I should turn this around and sell the remaining 8 rods and lugs on ebay...if these are so hard to come by, I could be sitting on a small fortune  🙂 But the search continues, it's personal now.

• Members

I'm starting to lean that way but then I'll end up with mis-matched rods and lugs, something I'd like to stay away from if I can. 

Here's a pic. of both metric and standard size taps...none of them fit. They are either one size over or one size under.

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0277.thumb.jpg.8e1bb015065ef7ce9aa42d0939007695.jpg

• Members

A machine shop would probably want my first born. I contacted a few sellers of MIJ snares on ebay and asked them if they could send me the size of the tension rods on the snare they have for sale. So far I received 2 replies,  both had 2" long rods and both couldn't answer thread size. I contacted four sellers, so maybe one of the other two will have something if they reply.

• Members

Update.....The restoring of this priceless classic 😁 is back on the table. Why not...I live in a state thats on lockdown because of covid19 so I'll have plenty of time to do this and keep whats left of my sanity. Just waiting on parts now. As 1001gear suggested, I purchased new 10-32 rods and lug nuts. Because I couldnt find any 1-3/4 in. long rods, I went with the longer ones that I'll cut back to size.   I'm still going to find out the thread size of the original tension rods.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived