Posted (edited)

Just tried out the Earthworks 3 mic technique using budget stuff (Apex 220's over an AKG D112) and blew myself away. Our basement space is surprisingly OK sounding with open insulation on the ceiling and a few rugs on the floor.

Anybody here do much non-close miking of drum kits?

Edited by RoadRanger

On 3/7/2020 at 1:46 AM, RoadRanger said:

Earthworks 3 mic technique

Never heard of this technique. Is it similar to Recorderman or Glyn-Johns?

I've been recording drums for a few years and over time I naturally progressed towards using more close-mics.

Posted (edited)

This is what I was referring to
https://earthworksaudio.com/products/microphones/drumkit-series/dk25r/
https://earthworksaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Earthworks-DK25-Manual.pdf

It uses just a pair of omni overheads and a weird kick mic. It was raved about  few years back when it came out. I'm using a couple of cheap omni measurement mics to get a feel for what these megadollar mics can do. Their suggested placement seems a bit weird to me - I at least wanted to get them the same distance from the snare - nobody likes a mushy snare sound.

The cardioid kick mic with EQ module isn't of much interest to me - decent kick mics aren't all that expensive. OTOH the AKG D112 I was using (belongs to the drummer) is somewhat disliked by many - possibly because it doesn't have a built-in eq curve for kick like many do. I just looked it up and see that the latest version does have a kick EQ switch.

Edited by RoadRanger